Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS- Community Engagement20304

CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone,

My name is Wade and I am a finalizer at CBCS. It is a goal of mine to make CBCS more engaging with the collecting community. As part of this, I thought it would be beneficial to join the CBCS forum and start a dialogue with the community we have here. To be forthcoming, I have infrequently read through some of the boards here, but have never joined as a member myself. Actually, this is my first post on the CBCS forum. Ideally, I would like to have somewhat consistent posts (bi-monthly?), with the purpose of having a more direct line of communication with everyone here.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, feel free to reply/comment below with any topics that you would like discussed in future posts. I will take everything under consideration and do my best to address anything that I am able. I look forward to interacting with you all and discussing the hobby we all love!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey There! Welcome here to the happiest place on earth. I used to be the forum mascot till i ruined that on myself.

Anyway, I'd like to se more talk about the receiving in process. I just submitted to CBCS after a long while and can't remember how long it took to show on your dashboard.

TY!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Blair1999 private msg quote post Address this user
What is a "Finalizer"?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair1999
What is a "Finalizer"?

@Blair1999 At CBCS we have 3 different "levels" to the grading floor, each instrumental to our grading process.

Pre-Grader: Responsible for label information and authentication
Grader: Responsible for initial condition assessment & grader notes
Finalizer: Responsible for final condition assessment, grader notes & making sure label info is correctly formatted

Hope that answers your question!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Cool idea. I would like to know How can I become authorized witness for the ASP service? I emailed in and was told to reach out to Matt but u never got a response.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Gird your loins.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Anyway, I'd like to se more talk about the receiving in process. I just submitted to CBCS after a long while and can't remember how long it took to show on your dashboard.

When orders arrive to us, first they go through our warehouse (package gets opened), then invoicing, and finally to the grading floor. I believe when the order is completed from invoicing and gets to the grading floor is when you receive the update. The amount of time is all dependent on how much mail we receive that day.

I can do a deeper dive on our overall process in later posts.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Wade_Story sounds good! I had one arrive yesterday; just waiting for it Tonopah up on my dashboard.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@Wade_Story Gird your loins.

Post 9 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure what a finalizer is but it would be nice to finally have a link between the forum and the staff. A lot of questions get asked here along with a lot of "and I called/emailed customer service weeks ago and still no response"

CGC has it. Can't be difficult.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Welcome to the forum.
Post 11 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Thanks for joining the forum.
A direct line to your department will very beneficial to many folks here.
So here's a couple of questions to get us started.
There are some books that have a common defect like Amazing Spider-Man # 361 with many copies having the small tares at the bottom which are manufacturing defects. Most of these books I see still receive a 9.8 if that is the extent of the defects. Would this be the case with other books only having this defect to also receive a 9.8 grade?

Many collectors and sellers are curious about printers creases. Can you explain the varying impacts to the overall grade for these creases?
A hippie friend of mine and many others, told me once that the only grade unobtainable is a 9.8. Can you elaborate?

And lastly, for now, the larger (thicker) books such as Amazing Spider-Man 800 on many copies, have tiny spine splits at top & bottom. How does this affect the grade and does that apply only to thicker books?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I agree; having staff on board in the forum is great. I remember when Darryl was a here. It makes lot of things easier for new submitters.
Post 13 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @Wade_Story.

While I can't speak for everyone, I believe that those of us who have been hanging around these forums for years welcome direct communication with CBCS. We are your biggest supporters and have been advocates for you since before the new cases/labels and when it was not always "popular" to be advocates. We've lived with the rivet labels and totally unreachable customer service but, for the most part, we've hung around.

CBCS is in a good place right now and we hope that y'all continue to improve. The new cases are a home run, the new labels seem to be a real success, turnaround times have been greatly reduced, magazine grading has been introduced and customer service has improved versus how it has been in the past. Thanks to CBCS for all these improvements.

However...

CBCS still has a way to go. It seems that, over the last month, there have been more forum postings about unresponsive customer service. I'm hoping that this was just due to holiday short-handedness and that this will get resolved ASAP.

One of my pet peeves is the fact that the online invoice does not always show all services purchased. For example, if a comic is pressed, the invoice needs to reflect that pressing was purchased for that book. That way, two or three or five or ten years down the road, if I'm selling a book or trading it to someone, I can provide a definitive answer when they ask if the book has been pressed. I don't want to do math to determine that it might have been pressed. I want the invoice to be like any other invoice from any other business and show exactly what was paid for in detail.

I'm sure there's more that the other forum members will mention. These are just a couple of things that came to mind. I really do welcome the CBCS participation in these forums and I'm looking forward to seeing what you post and reading responses to other members' questions and concerns.

And, again... welcome! 🙂👍
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story thanks for joining the conversation. I have a recent thought that has spawned from the CGC label-switching controversy: when possible, the grader notes maybe should also identify a couple of distinguishing characteristics of the copy being graded. CBCS led the way in putting QR codes on the back of labels. This would be another opportunity to lead the way with increased security measures and add to the usefulness of the QR codes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Not sure what a finalizer is but it would be nice to finally have a link between the forum and the staff. A lot of questions get asked here along with a lot of "and I called/emailed customer service weeks ago and still no response"

CGC has it. Can't be difficult.

@Sigur_Ros I explained in a response above earlier. Basically I work in grading. Hopefully I will be able to help bridge some of that gap! Look forward to conversing with you in the future.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector drgto private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for joining the forum! In my previous (i.e., preretirement) life, I learned that maintaining direct communication with the customer is always a good idea. I wish you the best!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@Wade_Story Thanks for joining the forum.
A direct line to your department will very beneficial to many folks here.
So here's a couple of questions to get us started.
There are some books that have a common defect like Amazing Spider-Man # 361 with many copies having the small tares at the bottom which are manufacturing defects. Most of these books I see still receive a 9.8 if that is the extent of the defects. Would this be the case with other books only having this defect to also receive a 9.8 grade?

Many collectors and sellers are curious about printers creases. Can you explain the varying impacts to the overall grade for these creases?
A hippie friend of mine and many others, told me once that the only grade unobtainable is a 9.8. Can you elaborate?

And lastly, for now, the larger (thicker) books such as Amazing Spider-Man 800 on many copies, have tiny spine splits at top & bottom. How does this affect the grade and does that apply only to thicker books?

@Nearmint67 Unfortunately I don't know that I actually have a "cure all" answer for your questions.

On ASM #361 it is possible to achieve a 9.8 with the tiny tears on the bottom edge, however saying that is true across all of the copies of the book may be disingenuous. It all depends on how bad the tears are on the individual copy.

Printing creases are especially difficult to assess in a forum like this, again just depends on the book.

For books with thicker covers, higher page counts, or things of that nature, there are sometimes tiny bindery tears at the top and/or bottom spine from production. Again, always subject to opinion and severity, but in a vacuum the 9.8 grade could still be achievable with these.

While it is true that different kinds of production defects are treated with some "forgiveness", it all depends on the severity of defect on the book in hand. Production defects are certainly one of the harder things to grade. We work hard on things like this as a grading team to not just give a grade, but THE grade. Hopefully this helps!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Welcome to the forum, @Wade_Story.

While I can't speak for everyone, I believe that those of us who have been hanging around these forums for years welcome direct communication with CBCS. We are your biggest supporters and have been advocates for you since before the new cases/labels and when it was not always "popular" to be advocates. We've lived with the rivet labels and totally unreachable customer service but, for the most part, we've hung around.

CBCS is in a good place right now and we hope that y'all continue to improve. The new cases are a home run, the new labels seem to be a real success, turnaround times have been greatly reduced, magazine grading has been introduced and customer service has improved versus how it has been in the past. Thanks to CBCS for all these improvements.

However...

CBCS still has a way to go. It seems that, over the last month, there have been more forum postings about unresponsive customer service. I'm hoping that this was just due to holiday short-handedness and that this will get resolved ASAP.

One of my pet peeves is the fact that the online invoice does not always show all services purchased. For example, if a comic is pressed, the invoice needs to reflect that pressing was purchased for that book. That way, two or three or five or ten years down the road, if I'm selling a book or trading it to someone, I can provide a definitive answer when they ask if the book has been pressed. I don't want to do math to determine that it might have been pressed. I want the invoice to be like any other invoice from any other business and show exactly what was paid for in detail.

I'm sure there's more that the other forum members will mention. These are just a couple of things that came to mind. I really do welcome the CBCS participation in these forums and I'm looking forward to seeing what you post and reading responses to other members' questions and concerns.

And, again... welcome! 🙂👍

@DWeeB1967 Appreciate your response. Please trust when I say that we appreciate everyone's loyalty to CBCS through our life as a company. We are always looking for ways to improve, and I feel like this communication will only expand that in a positive way. I have also seen several threads with other valuable feedback that will be brought to the table in the future for consideration.

Thank you for yours as well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@Wade_Story thanks for joining the conversation. I have a recent thought that has spawned from the CGC label-switching controversy: when possible, the grader notes maybe should also identify a couple of distinguishing characteristics of the copy being graded. CBCS led the way in putting QR codes on the back of labels. This would be another opportunity to lead the way with increased security measures and add to the usefulness of the QR codes.

@EbayMafia This is certainly a situation that has rocked our hobby. We have already had some internal discussions, and will be continue to have them going forward regarding this.
Post 20 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

@EbayMafia This is certainly a situation that has rocked our hobby. We have already had some internal discussions, and will be continue to have them going forward regarding this.

Somehow marking the inner well with the ID number of the book (the same ID that is shown on the label) in a non-obtrusive yet easily visible way would solve this issue, right?

Kind of like etching a car's VIN number into individual parts under its hood.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome @Wade_Story

at what stage in process does the Equalizer fit?

Post 22 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ok though...on a more serious note

CBCS seems mostly to offer only signing opportunities - would love to see sketch opportunities too! (even sketch on whatever the largest size paper, rather than just blank cover, can be submitted for ART label! with witnessed sig etc. notation)
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

CBCS seems mostly to offer only signing opportunities - would love to see sketch opportunities too! (even sketch on whatever the largest size paper, rather than just blank cover, can be submitted for ART label! with witnessed sig etc. notation)

@KatKomics We did recently have a limited offering of head sketches from Adam Hughes for Orlando Original Arts Expo, but they sold out REALLY fast. Hopefully we will have more similar opportunities soon!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome @Wade_Story. This should be an easy question for you.

I would like to know what is the purpose of grader notes? This may seem like a stupid question that has an obvious answer (which is easily found on the internet... so why am I wasting people's valuable time? )

“The grader will ... take notes of any defects that could affect the books grade or will note any defect that may be hidden or hard to see." (CBCS website)

"Grader Notes describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did." (CGC website)

Having seemingly answered my own question, I will ask it another way to get to the crux of the matter: If the answers above are true, then shouldn't any graded comic that doesn't have ANY defects found and noted receive a grade of 10?

I have comics graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 with no grader notes (CBCS and CGC). It's probably harder to find 9.8 books with grader notes than without. In my view this calls into question the legitimacy of the grade. Can't find a problem to make a note of? Slap a 9.8 on it and call it a day.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Kid
Welcome @Wade_Story. This should be an easy question for you.

I would like to know what is the purpose of grader notes? This may seem like a stupid question that has an obvious answer (which is easily found on the internet... so why am I wasting people's valuable time? )

“The grader will ... take notes of any defects that could affect the books grade or will note any defect that may be hidden or hard to see." (CBCS website)

"Grader Notes describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did." (CGC website)

Having seemingly answered my own question, I will ask it another way to get to the crux of the matter: If the answers above are true, then shouldn't any graded comic that doesn't have ANY defects found and noted receive a grade of 10?

I have comics graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 with no grader notes (CBCS and CGC). It's probably harder to find 9.8 books with grader notes than without. In my view this calls into question the legitimacy of the grade. Can't find a problem to make a note of? Slap a 9.8 on it and call it a day.

@Caffeine_Kid At CBCS ANY book that is graded below 9.8 should have at least one grader's note. If it doesn't, I would like to investigate that further. Some 9.8's will occasionally have a note, individual to the comic but this is rare.

The way I look at it personally is this- a 9.8 book is supposed to be in a condition similar to brand new/off the shelf. This is why there are no notes, the book should be in "new" condition. 9.9's & 10's are BETTER than new, being closer to perfect in every way.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Glad to have you aboard!

I'm sure I'll have some grading or process related questions for you in the future but for now....what's your favourite planet? Mine's the sun....it's like the king of planets!

🍻
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Wade_Story Glad to have you aboard!

I'm sure I'll have some grading or process related questions for you in the future but for now....what's your favourite planet? Mine's the sun....it's like the king of planets!

🍻
@GAC might be an unpopular one but I like Earth. Don’t think I could survive anywhere else.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

@KatKomics We did recently have a limited offering of head sketches from Adam Hughes for Orlando Original Arts Expo, but they sold out REALLY fast. Hopefully we will have more similar opportunities soon!

1st off welcome to the CBCS forum! WHen was the Adam Hughes head sketches offered for OAX? I'm attending and I don't recall getting an email from CBCS with that offer.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the Forum!!
This is the best place to learn something about comic books.

My question to you is simply.

I'm "Old school" and I love paper. With that can we still send in "Paper" submission forms either from conventions or from home. I'm not thrilled to do the on-line submission and really don't want to either.

Take care and Happy New Year!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
602394 210 30