Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Check these out. I just picked up 4 different 1940's promos that the Fox Regent Theatre in Winfield, Kansas during WWII had removed the covers of some comics of the day and added their promotional covers to promote the theater.
You know I like rare oddities plus the WWII nostalgia of them I couldn't pass them over. Gave the owner 200.00 for all four comics. I figured 50.00 a piece was fair. Not sure if they have value, but really cool.
Here is the front and back cover shots and some of the interiors, to give you idea. Wonder what issues they were they used. Anyone have a clue, would be nice to know.
Look at back cover ad trying to enlist women to working in factories. That was because men were off at war I guess.

Since the first appearance of The Web is featured on a big double page centerfold ad in your Black Hood theater promo book, here's the Zip Comics cover of that first appearance (Church copy)...

The more I think about it, the more these impress me as being very special collectibles. I'd highly recommend checking the OPG for being listed as promotional books. If they're not, I'd lobby to have them included and then graded and holdered. Given their limited availability and apparent uniqueness, the likelihood that few (if any) other copies exist ...much less in what appears to be high grade condition... I'd also advise having these properly designated and maintained.

Just sayin'.
Thanks for the insight. I rolled the dice on these as I usually do on odd books, so hopefully they are unique like you think.
I will have to go to my LCS to look in the OPG as I don't use Overstreet for much of anything. I'll try to use their online site to see if I see anything, but I like you, think they are probably not listed and scarce. The town of Winfield, Kansas currently has a population of 12k, so I imagine in the 40s it was a third of that, so likely not too many were handed oht.
Once I get then in a few days I will press and clean them a bit. I'll check with Steve Ricketts to see if they can grade these and designate what issue you there were from on label.
The forth one not pictured the owner said it has Terry Toons in it so I bought it sight unseen, but she said it's in same type condition as rest. I'll get better idea when they get here. Thanks for the insight. If you want pm you phone number and I'll call you and we can talk about them when they get here.
Post 1826 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Don't recall posting this in awhile. It's another awesome Schomburg cover, being the fourth of the six classic Torch/Subby battle books (or fifth of seven, if the Sub-Mariner story ...Subby's decision to destroy the American continent... in MMC #7 is given credit as the lead-in story of the epic battle). The most memorable books in this saga are the lengthy crossover stories in Marvel Mystery 8-10 followed by Human Torch 5, 8 and 10. Note: There are two Human Torch's numbered 5, the second (5B) is the battle book below...

Post 1827 IP   flag post
I decided to pull this out of my earlier response & repost it here as nothing should distract from the discussion of earthshaker's phenomenal find. Besides, the Church copy of the Web's first appearance in Zip #27 is probably worthy of a separate post, don'cha think? Hope y'all like the GA version of Spidey...

Cheers,
Cat
Post 1828 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
As always amazing stuff all. Some more MLJ's
Post 1829 IP   flag post

Post 1830 IP   flag post

Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
Picked this one up over the weekend. It was just in beautiful shape, so I had to grab it.
Post 1831 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1832 IP   flag post

Post 1833 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@kash Nice, a little press amd clean and you got yourself a sweet copy
Post 1834 IP   flag post
Just picked up this minty set of 1950 Oxydol-deft giveaways with a really nice enevelope they cane in.

Post 1835 IP   flag post
This is one of my all-time favorite HIT covers (Penn. pedigree) due to Reed Crandall's amazing anatomical composition and height perspective. It's also one of the only GA covers he signed in spite of his publisher (Quality) and bullpen colleagues prompting him to do so. Also, this book hit the newsstands just prior to Pearl Harbor (Oct. 3, '41), which makes Stormy Foster's aerial combat with Japanese saboteurs an interesting curiosity...

Alas, I may have posted this scan before in one thread or another, but cool covers deserve a few encores.
Post 1836 IP   flag post
The Silver Streak cover below featuring Daredevil & The Claw is a perennial favorite of mine.

There's a lot going on in this composition and yet the design is clean & simple. Jack Cole ...who'd create Plastic Man for Quality... produced most of the interior art in Silver Streak #7 (38 pages) which amounts to four feature stories with different characters (Silver Streak, Daredevil, Pirate Prince & Dickie Dean, boy inventor).

In short, an amazing book!
Post 1837 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I could not turn down this classic cover. No 'lady in red' but yellow is close enough on the color wheel for me

Post 1838 IP   flag post
As this is the 74th page of this awesome potpourri of GA goodness, I'd be remiss in not posting a famous #74 scan! And here 'tis, Captain America's Weird Tales, the final GA issue (not including the brief mid-50's revival of the character which is actually a reboot of sorts)...

Cheers,
Cat
Post 1839 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 1840 IP   flag post
Another nice Cap, Marty!

Shores apparently liked illustrating villainous guys with big lips & noses next to gorgeous babes.

Here's a final-days-of-the-war Schomburg Cap...

Post 1841 IP   flag post
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
Part of the lot I will be submitting in July

Post 1842 IP   flag post
Another Syd Shores Cap...

Those blonde Amazons mean business!
Post 1843 IP   flag post
Back to basics, a sweet 1940 vintage Daring Mystery with pulp influenced Schomburg cover...

Post 1844 IP   flag post
Another Schomburg (though not Timely)
Post 1845 IP   flag post
Love it, Sagii!

Nedor's Schomburg covers are every bit as EXCITING as Timely's!

Post 1846 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Love it, Sagii!

Nedor's Schomburg covers are every bit as EXCITING as Timely's!

Have always loved that one. Wish i grabbed more Nedors and held onto all of what i did have back when. I'm down to just the FY7 now.
Post 1847 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 1848 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 1849 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 1850 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

OO

mm
Classic cover imho, great books Marty!
Post 1851 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 1852 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 1853 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I got Wood. Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh.

Post 1854 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
I could not turn down this classic cover. No 'lady in red' but yellow is close enough on the color wheel for me

That one's on my hit list, soooo jealous.
Post 1855 IP   flag post
601493 5588 30