Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
@earthshaker01 All very cool. Eye popping, especially with 3D glasses included. Funny animal books may not be everyone's cuppa, but it's a wonderful genre with lots a great GA art by a wide range of talented folks. Love the Captain Rocket, that one doesn't pop-up often.

Conversely, the depth of my collection is narrowly focused: high grade, art centered & predominantly costumed heroes. Stylistically, the GA artists whose work impresses me most are Alex Schomburg, Reed Crandall, Lou Fine and Jack Kirby, but there's so much other great work flying under the radar.

It's great seeing more obscure titles posted here.

Thanks @CatmanAmerica. Always enjoy seeing yur classics you post. I like the obscure as you know. Mostly #1's, #nn's, promos et...from the GA and early SA. One day I hope to do a showing in one of the larger cities near me. Maybe renting ing a gallery amd displaying all the slabs. There are alot.
I may need some help identifing
4 books. They are GA and I should have then in house soon. I'll explain more when I get them photo'ed. They are something I don't normally buy, but unique in an odd way, right up my alley.
Post 1801 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
International #1

Post 1802 IP   flag post
1950 #1 & #2

Post 1803 IP   flag post
This book is untouchable
Post 1804 IP   flag post
Treasure #1

Post 1805 IP   flag post

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
All of those books are Treasures!

One of the cooler aspects of high grade GA collecting is the opportunity to acquire legacy books (pedigrees, with provenance stretching back to original owners). For instance, the Marvel Mystery #3 (posted earlier) and #7 (below) were originally owned by Lamont Larson (he had his 90th birthday July 2nd, 2017)...

Post 1806 IP   flag post
Science #1

Post 1807 IP   flag post
Buck Duck #1

Post 1808 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Buck Duck #1

There's an Atlas you don't see everyday!
Post 1809 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
1950 #1 & #2

What's the grade on the number 1? I've been looking for a high-grade copy forever.
Post 1810 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Quote:
1950 #1 & #2

What's the grade on the number 1? I've been looking for a high-grade copy forever.
I haven't had it graded yet
Post 1811 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Quote:
1950 #1 & #2

you might find this hard to believe but years ago I counted that I have 10 raw copies of #1 in a box somewhere. Nothing less than about a 7.5 on up to who knows what the best would be but I suspect maybe 9.2 to 9.4. I'll press the best ones myself before I graded them.
Post 1812 IP   flag post
Check these out. I just picked up 4 different 1940's promos that the Fox Regent Theatre in Winfield, Kansas during WWII had removed the covers of some comics of the day and added their promotional covers to promote the theater.
You know I like rare oddities plus the WWII nostalgia of them I couldn't pass them over. Gave the owner 200.00 for all four comics. I figured 50.00 a piece was fair. Not sure if they have value, but really cool.
Here is the front and back cover shots and some of the interiors, to give you idea. Wonder what issues they were they used. Anyone have a clue, would be nice to know.
Look at back cover ad trying to enlist women to working in factories. That was because men were off at war I guess.

Post 1813 IP   flag post
Man, this thread's been busy today!

Well, here's s'more MLJ, this time the exterior. This Church copy of Shield-Wizard #7 reboots the first lead character in a less super-powered form complete with a new costume design (similar to Timely's Cap). In fact, this clearly looks like a Kirby cover ...perhaps Jack's only work for MLJ... and appears to have been created between S&K's departure from Timely and the dynamic artist duo being picked up by D.C.! Interesting coincidence, huh?

Post 1814 IP   flag post
Killers and Thrillers

Post 1815 IP   flag post
A couple of spots.

Post 1816 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Never saw that DUKE OF DARKNESS comic before...the only time I
saw that character was in the One-Shot issue of K-O KOMICS with
the classic cover.

OO

OO

mm
Post 1817 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Quote:

Never saw that DUKE OF DARKNESS comic before...the only time I
saw that character was in the One-Shot issue of K-O KOMICS with
the classic cover.

OO

OO

mm
I got this comic a long time ago and it was tied for highest at 7.5, I cracked pressed it and got an 8.0. I haven't seen any other copies either.
Post 1818 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Fight Comics No.1

Gury No.4

Published by Diário da Noite, Brazil 1940

Post 1819 IP   flag post
Planet Comics

Gury No.4

Post 1820 IP   flag post
Gury No.15

Post 1821 IP   flag post

Post 1822 IP   flag post
Quote:
Check these out. I just picked up 4 different 1940's promos that the Fox Regent Theatre in Winfield, Kansas during WWII had removed the covers of some comics of the day and added their promotional covers to promote the theater.
You know I like rare oddities plus the WWII nostalgia of them I couldn't pass them over. Gave the owner 200.00 for all four comics. I figured 50.00 a piece was fair. Not sure if they have value, but really cool.
Here is the front and back cover shots and some of the interiors, to give you idea. Wonder what issues they were they used. Anyone have a clue, would be nice to know.
Look at back cover ad trying to enlist women to working in factories. That was because men were off at war I guess.

The more I think about it, the more these impress me as being very special collectibles. I'd highly recommend checking the OPG for being listed as promotional books. If they're not, I'd lobby to have them included and then graded and holdered. Given their limited availability and apparent uniqueness, the likelihood that few (if any) other copies exist ...much less in what appears to be high grade condition... I'd also advise having these properly designated and maintained.

Just sayin'.
Post 1823 IP   flag post
Fantasmo

Gury No.40

Published by Diário da Noite, Brazil 1942

Post 1824 IP   flag post
Fantasmo (Incredible Beauty)

Gury No.35

Published by Diário da Noite, Brazil 1941

Post 1825 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

Since the first appearance of The Web is featured on a big double page centerfold ad in your Black Hood theater promo book, here's the Zip Comics cover of that first appearance (Church copy)...

The more I think about it, the more these impress me as being very special collectibles. I'd highly recommend checking the OPG for being listed as promotional books. If they're not, I'd lobby to have them included and then graded and holdered. Given their limited availability and apparent uniqueness, the likelihood that few (if any) other copies exist ...much less in what appears to be high grade condition... I'd also advise having these properly designated and maintained.

Just sayin'.
Thanks for the insight. I rolled the dice on these as I usually do on odd books, so hopefully they are unique like you think.
I will have to go to my LCS to look in the OPG as I don't use Overstreet for much of anything. I'll try to use their online site to see if I see anything, but I like you, think they are probably not listed and scarce. The town of Winfield, Kansas currently has a population of 12k, so I imagine in the 40s it was a third of that, so likely not too many were handed oht.
Once I get then in a few days I will press and clean them a bit. I'll check with Steve Ricketts to see if they can grade these and designate what issue you there were from on label.
The forth one not pictured the owner said it has Terry Toons in it so I bought it sight unseen, but she said it's in same type condition as rest. I'll get better idea when they get here. Thanks for the insight. If you want pm you phone number and I'll call you and we can talk about them when they get here.
Post 1826 IP   flag post
Don't recall posting this in awhile. It's another awesome Schomburg cover, being the fourth of the six classic Torch/Subby battle books (or fifth of seven, if the Sub-Mariner story ...Subby's decision to destroy the American continent... in MMC #7 is given credit as the lead-in story of the epic battle). The most memorable books in this saga are the lengthy crossover stories in Marvel Mystery 8-10 followed by Human Torch 5, 8 and 10. Note: There are two Human Torch's numbered 5, the second (5B) is the battle book below...

Post 1827 IP   flag post
I decided to pull this out of my earlier response & repost it here as nothing should distract from the discussion of earthshaker's phenomenal find. Besides, the Church copy of the Web's first appearance in Zip #27 is probably worthy of a separate post, don'cha think? Hope y'all like the GA version of Spidey...

Cheers,
Cat
Post 1828 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
As always amazing stuff all. Some more MLJ's
Post 1829 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1830 IP   flag post
601537 5588 30