Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii @Sagii a few more of the mid grade. This dime comics would be a 6.0 but I an think 4.0 to.4.5 due to a piece of 40 year old tab that has bonded to paper. Although I can remove it, it this case I felt I would do more damge that it was worth and if I did get it off there would be a no aged spot where it was at vs the rest of the back cover aging.

Post 876 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@Sagii thanks buddy. Here are a couple more of the midgrade I sent in. I am thinking the robot cover might be a 7.5 or more the other oe 7.0ish

I know you're a big Ziff Davis guy. Those are gems. With a lot of gold ( as current auction prices are revealing, low and mid grade are worth slabbing. Pre code , early super heroes, late Fox hero and Baker romance are leading the pack in these kind of examples.
Post 877 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii yes I do like Ziff-davis here a few more ziff going in with that order

Post 878 IP   flag post
The Puzzle fun is really nice no puzzle done. The Funland is really nice as well.

Post 879 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 if all of these are on the slab list, we're all in for a treat summer to winter.
I have two stacks yet to be (CGC and CBCS) graded. There have been so many Auctions I can't stop buying stuff long enough to take a break and just spend on slabbing. Well, one day...
Post 880 IP   flag post

@Sagii yes those are all getting slabbed. I understand your problem hard to quit finding when deals come along. It's an illness.
Post 881 IP   flag post
@Sagii wait till you see these minis and giveaways that come back. Hopefully the first two orders will be back in about a month the other a little longer
Post 882 IP   flag post
@Sagii ok you can appreciate this. I finally went ahead and bought only the second copy of Manuel Pacifico Tuna Fisherman #1 promo from the 1950 Breast o Chicken company. I have only seen two in my life of this book. The one on ebay for 125.00 that literally has a huge chunk ripped off cover and this one that has writing on it. Normally as you know I don't buy lower grade, but when something like this comes along you have to get it. If it wasn't for the writing it would be a great copy.
Earlier this year I bought the #2, There were only two in the series. It was from the same seller. Why the #2 and not the #1 at the same time, you may ask. Well I don't think anyone knows a #2 was made. Even comicbookpriceguide.com only shows one comic in the series. Also the comic came from a guy that spent 20 years looking for the mythical #2. So when I could get it cheap (100.00) I jumped on it. So after researching the breast o chicken promo more, over last several months I went back and bought the #1 as well, allebeit a little rougher than the #2. I wanted to keep them paired together. I may try to lift the pencil and possibly the ink, but I have worked with this cheap paper before and any attempts to remove ink often still leaves remnants still visible, and then it shows someone tried to remove it. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.
I will press it and send it in even as a 4.5 to 5.5 it will be the only graded #1, The #2 is currently in for grading as we speak.
So here you go here is the #1 & #2

Post 883 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Since we're on a tuna fishing theme, here's another good catch...

Post 884 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 885 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
of[img]https://e3effa51eee72fd900e3-2fb779bd12ec72d4612275342f2c9187.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/927b98f4e2256e44483d772da03bceee.jpg[/imp
One of my favorite superman covers. Finally found one. Sups 66
Post 886 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 887 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica @Sagii how many slabs do you guys have, just curious if I'm behind the curve or not.
Post 888 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 I'm sure i'm the one behind the curve, lol. The majority of my collection is raw. I have roughly 100 slabbed books. (i know, 'slacker' )
Post 889 IP   flag post
@Sagii that's not a bad amount. I have been slabbing alot lately for investment reasons.
Post 890 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Yeah, me too. With most golden age (even low grade in many cases)you can't go wrong slabbing the books (preservation/protection) of your investment.
Post 891 IP   flag post

Post 892 IP   flag post

Post 893 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
@earthshaker01 Yeah, me too. With most golden age (even low grade in many cases)you can't go wrong slabbing the books (preservation/protection) of your investment.
yeah I agrre. That's why I recently sent in those mid grade golden as one of my orders, just to get some cool books slabbed I normally would have waited. I just hit over 1000 slabs and have aways to go to get all the things I want done.
Post 894 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@CatmanAmerica @Sagii how many slabs do you guys have, just curious if I'm behind the curve or not.

There is no curve, just peaks and valleys.

99% of my GA books are slabbed (most are high grade, 8.5 up).

I used to post books & labels (HP legal document scanner). Most are older label CGC (no new labels).

After getting warnings from the CGC folks for having a couple of CBCS books in my signature line ...among a dozen slabbed books... I re-edited all my images, moving scans into separate files and avoid posting books with labels on both boards.

Alas, that's more info than requested, but what the heck. The book below is 9.2, highest graded copy for those interested in such things...

"Some days I feel like the mad artist and other's like Cap trying to save a sidekick in trouble."

Cheers,
Cat
Post 895 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica yeah I just thinks it's time to slab everything for a variety of reasons. One is I have so many high grade books I want to get them protected to some degree. I feel bad for some when the cbcs census comes out. Out of the 1000 plus GA/SA slabs I have about half are highest graded or tied highest graded.
They bad part is when you compare equally graded of the same book between the cbcs vs cgc there is a noticeable difference between the two regarding older books. It shows the looseness of cgc in grading and the stricterm grading(better) of cbcs.
Example here is my cbcs highest graded #1 1953 Stooge book vs the other tied highest graded cgc. Now you tell me if they laid sided by said which would you consider better. This is why I choose CBCS. I know when I get a 8.5 it's a true 8.5 from cbcs, or whatever grade it maybe.

Post 896 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica if you have old cgc labels I would keep them that way although the say replace you cgc case every whatever amount of years, you might not get same grades back if you send them to cbcs. Here is another example. A Funny Frolics #1 highest graded 9.4, take a look at the chunk missing out of top corner. Do you think it would get a 9.4 if I reslabbed it with cbcs or even cgc today? Heck no, I will leave well enough alone for selling purposes in the future. I mean it's a gorgeous book just don't see it quite beING a 9.4 even if that is the only issue

Post 897 IP   flag post
If folks aren't tired of Cap, here's another...

Post 898 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the latest addition to my collection of beater early Detective Comics.

Post 899 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 900 IP   flag post

Post 901 IP   flag post
Bucky gets thrown under the bus...

Post 902 IP   flag post
Followed by a parting shot...

Post 903 IP   flag post
Another late period post-Bucky GA Cap (Crippen "D" ped.)...

Post 904 IP   flag post
Ok so I was hesitant to buy this manuel pacifico 1950 #1 Breast o chicken giveaway because of the pencil everywhere, and the heavy ink in the letter "N". You may recall I bought the only known #2 of this two issue series. It's not even known to exist, as any references to the series only show one issue, or as a one shot.
So, I grabbed the #2 even though it had some issues which helped when I pressed and cleaned it.
However, the #1 I had passed on because of all the writing on cover. I think I mentioned before I went back and bought the #1 after realizing it is almost as equally rare.
So here are 3 pictures of the #1. One is as I bought it with ink and pencil everywhere, the second is after I removed as much pencil and ink as I could safely, the third is after I finished cleaning it and pressing it.
I should note that this is the cheapest thinnest paper I have ever seen on a comic. When held to the light you can see directly through the cover and see all the print on the inside of the cover. I didn't think you could print on paper that thin. So I had to be extra careful cleaning and removing in as to not rip or damage it.
I did what I could, athough not completely removed due to the thinness of the paper I think it's a noticeable improvement.
Also here is the #2 again so you can see both together.

Post 905 IP   flag post
601466 5588 30