Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeMemorabiliaPop CultureToys

One Shots, Oddities, and Unknowns178

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I've been picking up comics and comic-related items for around fifty years (I started real young). Some of the comics only survived for one issue, and others are just strange and/or different. I even have some things that I have never seen in a guide or been able to find out any information on them (even on the internet). I'll start off showing a few one-shots and a give-away. I'd like to see what everyone else has in their collections. Maybe we can even learn something about those mystery comics and items.
Thanks,
Ed

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo All three of those are awesome! Time to go digging and see what I can find in my pile.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry, don't have many one shots, but I do have this'n...

Post 3 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Very cool! I remember seeing the Church copy and having the privilege of bringing it to market. Fantastic book and a real piece of history.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
20 years old now, this year. Single highest and only graded CGC copy. Is there a CBCS graded one?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
One of my favorite special books in my Joe Madureira Collection... only 25 of these Xin museum edition things exist...

Here it is next to the normal covers.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Zalgardos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
20 years old now, this year. Single highest and only graded CGC copy. Is there a CBCS graded one?

Thank you, didn't know that a MJ photo cover exists. Need to have a graded copy of this book.

And maybe I will try to call Harvey Specter to get it signed by his Airness himself and get a yellow label.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalgardos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii

Thank you, didn't know that a MJ photo cover exists. Need to have a graded copy of this book.

And maybe I will try to call Harvey Specter to get it signed by his Airness himself and get a yellow label.
Thanks! And Wow, when you do please post it, I think everyone would love to see that one.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
Very few 1960s comic-type books actually mention Bob Dylan on the cover. This rare comic was adult oriented, panel gag format.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Time to post a few more scans of one-shots, including one from 1956.

Post 10 IP   flag post
@RareComics Beautiful. Keep em coming.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector _bc private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

That was one of the last books I bought new off the rack ! Haven't thought about it in years!
_bc
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

HOLY CARP! That is a treasure.
Post 13 IP   flag post

My best friend had this done by a friend of his whom I have never met. Not the greatest artwork, but I like it anyway. It is a large poster of him and I playing poker with the heroes. Notice him and I have the girls (I think Superman is not happy about that). I'm on the right and he is on the left.

I paid $240.00 up front to Anthony Castrillo, to recreate this on a blank comic book cover several years ago, and he never did it. I lost my money. I'm still pissed about that, but nothing I can do.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Davidone private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a fun oddity. La Prensa was the first to publish Amazing Spider-man in Mexico. They published all the American material up until around 119. The history becomes vague here and what happened next is hotly debated among Mexican collectors. La Prensa either lost the license to Spider-man, lost the license to the American material or as it is also rumored, believed Mexicans would not buy Spider-Man comics if Gwen Stacy was killed off. Whatever happened, from then on they created completely original material, either legally or illegally, for about 60 issues. Gwen Stacy lives and her and Peter actually get married. There is a great wedding cover issue! Here is a beautiful example and one of the toughest issues to find. It features a knock off Vampirella with Spider-Man. It would be amazing if these could be officially collected and translated.
Post 15 IP   flag post
That's some strange stuff, David! But really interesting.
Post 16 IP   flag post
When I was in 8th or 9th grade, students were given copies of something called Read Magazine. I kept two copies of this issue (lucky #13) from 1975 because it had Marvel super-heroes on the cover and a story with more pictures inside. Anyone else ever see this before?

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Davidone private msg quote post Address this user
That is really cool! Never seen one before...
Post 18 IP   flag post
I have seen "Read Magazine", but never one with super heroes on the cover. Kool beans.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I really don't know how I ended up with some of this stuff. These scans show the fronts and backs of very small illustrated books that were given out by the Bible Institute in the 1970's. Has anyone else heard of these before?

Post 20 IP   flag post
This is a large magazine I picked up many years ago. It is the first issue. I don't know if there were any more issues published.

"Hey Mabel! Take'em off." (I assume he means the high heels) He He

Post 21 IP   flag post
One more, and one of my favorite odd-balls. It's a 1969 Rifle Manual with illustrations by none other than one of my favorite artists - Will Eisner. I've included both front and rear covers, as well as an interior scan. Who wouldn't want to have Ellen Dolan show them "How To Strip Your Baby." A pretty cool Vietnam-era comic-like item that I picked up in an antique shop in Maine one summer years ago (Note the $3.00 in pencil on the cover).

Post 22 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Good luck finding another of these or in the price guide. 1949 Fisher. Anyone ever seen this before?
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS Daniel_E private msg quote post Address this user

Picked this up last year just for the Corben cover. Never really figured out all that much about it though.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Daniel_E That is a scary one. Pretty cool.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a promotional comic on the gasoline engine!! I included a page from the inside to give you a feel for it.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Thanks for sharing, Jesse. I have some car and energy-type promotional comics also. I will post some scans later.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Here's a promo from 1965 by Chrysler called "The Real Fun Of Driving!!" Note that they put two exclamation points because they were so jacked about the 1965 fastback Barracuda! As a bonus, the art is by Kurt Schaffenberger.

Post 28 IP   flag post
I also somehow ended up with a hand-full of comics from the Adventures in Science Series by General Electric (Pictorial Media, Inc.) that were put out between 1955 and the early 1960's. Let me know if anyone knows anything about these oddities.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Here's a promo from 1965 by Chrysler called "The Real Fun Of Driving!!" Note that they put two exclamation points because they were so jacked about the 1965 fastback Barracuda! quote]

As you probably know. I have a 66' Barracuda. I need one of these books for my collection. Got an extra?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601455 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?