Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

How many copies were printed?1602

Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
SITC: Not sure what my "permeated" or "speculated" view of comics has any bearing on a print run? I'm also dissenting on the idea that someone interested in what is inside a funny book differs from what a "serious" collector appreciates. You're post confuzzles me.

BLB: I fail to see what is confuzzling especially when there is no previous commentary from you in there here thread. Not that I could visually ascertain upon scroll.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Comichron is a site that reports sales of Direct market comics to North American comic shops.

It does not report print runs, especially of any comics published since Diamond became the only distributor of the Direct market.

It does not report sales of English-language comics sold outside of North America.

It does not report sale of newsstand comic books.

It is not possible to know the print runs of any comics, published anywhere, unless the publisher (or, very rarely, the printer) has revealed that information.

For nearly every comic published, the exact number printed (or even very accurate estimates +/-.1%) is not known by anyone except the publisher and printer.

Reasonable estimates can be ascertained for older books, by using the Statements of Ownership and, where available, Capital City distribution numbers, but they are only estimates, and since most publishers no longer file SOOs, that information is no longer available.

The best you can get is "single issue nearest to filing date", which is usually the issue published with a "December" cover date.

So, KaptainMyke's statement was correct. There isn't a place where you can find print runs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
So anyone pointing to Comichron as a record of "print run" either doesn't know what they're talking about, or they're trying to sell you something.

This is why using sales numbers to estimate print runs for incentive variants is absolute madness. You're asking someone to make an estimate of an estimate, using numbers that have nothing to do with either estimate in any way.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown

Well, sometimes people are just curious. That being said I am usually very suspicious when someone is wanting to know print run numbers.
Post 29 IP   flag post
There's nothing wrong with curiosity...but there is, in the first seven posts in this thread, a repetition of the same misinformation that leads people to erroneous conclusions.

Nothing against these guys, but it certainly appears as if the OP has taken this misinformation and bought it as fact.

Comichron clearly states what it is, upfront, but all over the internet, it gets repeated as "print run" information endlessly.

Shouldn't we want to promote accurate information?
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
As much as possible yes. So we should be telling people that there are no true public numbers. Comichron numbers would not be too far off BUT one always has to put the qualifier in there that they are NOT actual print run numbers but North American sales by Diamond.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Usually, Diamond sales reports come about two months or so after the actual release month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Here you go: Comichron

Question:

Once a book is issued the first week published, do distributors have the opportunity in three weeks, to reorder their supply?

If so, in order to get a print amount - the sales figures in this link would have to be figured for each month after the initial release.

This is one area of the business I think has been neglected and clearly defines a value for a book.

If anyone is interested, this link is for Valiant books. As you can see in the price guide, publication amounts are listed, but not for all books.

One could gauge these figures against other books to get some sort of idea on the amount available.

http://www.valiantfan.com/guide

Didn't know that....thanks Doc!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Quote:
That is a site that lists estimated preorders from stores. Not a valid for sure print run of comics. I question some of you who contact me outside this forum like pansies who are afraid to show themselves. Keyboard warriors. Pfft.

So what you're saying is we should all MANNUP and confront you directly here.

Thanks, I added you to my list.

I dub you the Calamerica of this message board

That's some funny @#$% Lord, crazy Cal
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Charlieinarizona private msg quote post Address this user
Concerning print runs--and this won't help with Amazing Spider-man #1--but I seem to recall that for quite some time, Comics Buyer's Guide (CBG) published a price guide similar to Overstreet and they published quite a bit of print run info based from various distributors orders, including Capital Distributors. I think it had print runs for books, maybe from the 80s and 90s?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
CBG Krause was also doing a monthly mag called Comics Retailer which contains a lot of gleaned data. The CBG price guide with what you say was a from time to time a slick paper insert. At one point there were half a dozen or so monthly slick paper comic book price :guides: each full of their gleaned propaganda to entice "investors" to buy their version of the Gilded Path to riches. Are we there yet?
Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That is a site that lists estimated preorders from stores. Not a valid for sure print run of comics. I question some of you who contact me outside this forum like pansies who are afraid to show themselves. Keyboard warriors. Pfft.

Oh! Don't feel left out. You're on my list, too.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh! Don't feel left out. You're on my list, too.

What an honor. I love being on "lists" kind of makes me unique. Thank you for such a lovely holiday surprise

By the way, I have a bit of bad news for you however. I've have it from good "sources" you unfortunately didn't make it onto Santa's list this year. You've been naughty

Oh, and the Ninja Turtles are lame as all get out!
Post 38 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'm always naughty, brah. Ask my wife.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Oh, and the Ninja Turtles are lame as all get out!

OMG! WTF! Turtles is teh awesome, "bruh"

Donatello ROXXORS!!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
All the hip 16 year olds are telling me that "bruh" had surpassed
"brah" in usage
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
+1 on what Doc Brown/RMA has posted.

I'll add that the only typeof book you can be sure of print runs,or close to sure, are books like the first few issues of TMNT (volume 1) , wherein the creators (Laird and Eastman) self published the books and have publically disclosed the print runs.

Anything else, it is just a best/educated guess because Comichron is not all emcompassing.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
SITC: Not sure what my "permeated" or "speculated" view of comics has any bearing on a print run? I'm also dissenting on the idea that someone interested in what is inside a funny book differs from what a "serious" collector appreciates. You're post confuzzles me.

BLB: I fail to see what is confuzzling especially when there is no previous commentary from you in there here thread. Not that I could visually ascertain upon scroll.

Just trying to better understand your post that I quoted in my reply.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
@VillageIdiot Guy can't spell Captain. I don't think the list is too comprehensive. Sorry to burst your bubble lol
Post 44 IP   flag post

Post 45 IP   flag post
603921 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?