Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeQuestions

Is this a problem?1478

Collector lobovike private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you to the forum for helping a new collector. I am new to collecting graded comics and have recently bought my first few CBCS books... CBCS seemed like the way to go in the current market with the tamper proof holder and inner well that is free from scrutiny.

On one of my books the corner seems to have become detached slightly with a flake of it hanging off, please see the attached photos. Does this negatively impact the grade it was given? Thanks again for all your help.

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Here are the grader's notes for the book.. The issue you pointed out would be the corner wear listed in the. oces and certainly would've contributed to the grade.

That issue alone wouldn't have lowered the score very much by itself but the book has an accumulation of small issues.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Short answer: Yes.

It happens. I have a wonderful book in a 9.8 slab. That the same thing happened to the bottom right corner, after grading and encapsulation.

My book is not a 9.0 I think.

Some might blame it on "shaken comic syndrome", which just means that being shaken around from shipping while in the slab, things can get damaged.

Some might say that the piece was almost off, but not off, during grading. And now the books grade has changed.

But however you slice it. The book is not the same. Much like if the book in the slab, had been stored in a moist environment.

Whatever the reason. Sorry. It sucks.

But take heart. I may be entirely wrong, and it just might be a piece from another book and not from your book. I also have a slab that has a corner piece much like the one in your pic. That is NOT from my book. Apparently it just got blown in, or dropped in, the slab as my book was being encased.

But if my eyes are correct. The piece IS from your book, and not just a random piece of paper from a dirty environment during slabbing.

My assumption is that this piece in your photo, came loose AFTER grading. Thus changing the books grade from what the label states.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you for the responses, I have been assuming that this happened after encapsulation and that the corner came loose while sealed in the inner holder. I assumed that this is beyond the corner wear that is listed in the grader notes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
I've gotten a few books back like this, I think it's just part of the encapsulation process. Can't really see it affecting grade as my books are 9.8 or 9.6
Post 5 IP   flag post
That's good, maybe my book would still be considered a 9.0 even with this happening.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
I've gotten a few books back like this, I think it's just part of the encapsulation process. Can't really see it affecting grade as my books are 9.8 or 9.6

Really? Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Are you saying that a book in a 9.8 slab, is still a 9.8 if a corner piece falls off after grading and slabbing?

I must be misunderstanding you.

Please help me understand where I misunderstood.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think it's just part of the encapsulation process.

I am absolutely certain that that is not part of the encapsulation process.
I've had great looking books that did that same thing when I put them into new bags.
It turns out the bindery process will make a tiny cut that can make a chip like that, especially if you accidentally catch the chip on the edge of the bag.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Handling process....I thought I was being general.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

Are you saying that a book in a 9.8 slab, is still a 9.8 if a corner piece falls off after grading and slabbing?

Not helping you with anything. It's in a 9.8 slab, it's a 9.8
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
That is a bindery tear. The book was like that before the slabbing process.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh. That explains it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
That's what I would have thought, but the OP seems to imply this defect wasn't there prior to submitting(or possibly not noticed).
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
That's what I would have thought, but the OP seems to imply this defect wasn't there prior to submitting(or possibly not noticed).

I am thinking it made itself known with handling. It was probably there before, just not noticeable.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm not sure if the defect was there when the book was slabbed. I didn't look at the photos of it carefully enough before I bought it and was surprised to see it when it arrived. I assumed it must've worsened over time but I'm not sure. At any rate - is the consensus that the book is still a 9.0 even with this problem? I appreciate your input very much!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I agree with JW, it's not a detrimental defect
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Post 17 IP   flag post
601537 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?