CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The fact that Stan passed in Nov 189800

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
the guy is also offering a book supposedly signed by both Jack and Stan and I can tell that Kirby is a fake...yikes.

The Jack Kirby signature looks real to me. Why do you think it is fake?

Just giving my opinion but here is what I am working with...My signature was vintage mid eighties, and while it remains unauthenticated does appear genuine given context, many expert opinions, and comparisons to multiple examples .Look at the differences in every letter, look, arch and action.

First up is the sellers example....from the bottom of the page of the book.Second is my own copy that I have high confidence is legitimate.

Placed alongside one another it is obvious they are signed by two different people,given the structure of the letters. Compare the K in Kirby, the and the Y for instance....let alone the small letters in the first name etc.

To my eyes they look completely different, so two possible answers...mine or the specimen with 32 bids and being sold is not right
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Every Kirby signature I've seen the lowercase b does not directly connect to the y. from the way he writes his "b" he almost prints a "u" between the "b" and the "y". Every, single, version of a kirby signature has this in common. The embellished K and J do vary, though the example you have seems much more common than the "K" in Kirby that doesn't crosses the vertical line. Also, the "k" on the end of Jack is completely off compared to every, verified sig example I can find. The Stan Lee sig also has considerable problems and is identical on all their "stan lee" signed. The only conclusion is these are all forged. By the seller, or the seller got taken; who knows. But the seller is responsible for what they put on ebay and the claims they're making.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Case solved. Based on that description, I would bet it’s a color copy of a genuine signed Hulk #181. Someone had a signed copy so they made a color copy (probably several copies). If it sells, you can bet more will magically appear for sale on this guy’s ebay site.

I don't believe so, the actual, written description does not claim the signature is copied...and it's still not Stan's sig. This person has 3 total feedback, all are from the last few months and all are "stan lee" signed items. It's a scam, I feel for the people buying these auctions.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I think maybe the superficial differences are fooling you. One's signature can certainly change over the years.

Here are a couple samples from a quick Google search. (Actually, previously posted to the CBCS forum.)

Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Every Kirby signature I've seen the lowercase b does not directly connect to the y. from the way he writes his "b" he almost prints a "u" between the "b" and the "y". Every, single, version of a kirby signature has this in common. The embellished K and J do vary, though the example you have seems much more common than the "K" in Kirby that doesn't crosses the vertical line. Also, the "k" on the end of Jack is completely off compared to every, verified sig example I can find. The Stan Lee sig also has considerable problems and is identical on all their "stan lee" signed. The only conclusion is these are all forged. By the seller, or the seller got taken; who knows. But the seller is responsible for what they put on ebay and the claims they're making.

I had arrived at the similar conclusion regarding the Stan Lee as well, it also looks...odd. The Kirby for me at least is just no chance, its fake period
Post 30 IP   flag post

Always a "u" looking feature between the "b" and "y". Always. the trailing "k" on Jack is also questionable.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I see much more than superficial differences however, as Etapi is stating there are major structural areas of the signature that also fail badly ...bye xample the always present phantom u small character Kirby always made between the b and y in his name.
Both the C and K in the first name are way off as well...and in two thirds of the examples you posted it shows the lines of the K in the last name cutting through the vertical stroke

A better way to understand the way signature verification works is they do not look for differences between the signature and known exemplars, but rather similarities......I see no similarities they could use here to establish a match. Nevermind they require multiple examples of those similaritiesto confidently match them.

For my eyes it fails, perhaps I am just too critical. But given it appears alongside a stan legg signature that also lacks confidence...
Post 32 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
There is a variance in his signature over time and conditions. Here are my personal ones for comparison.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Each and every one you provided..every single one has the odd character between the B amd y as Etapi mentioned each and every one you provided the crossing lines in Kirby break the vertical stroke as well. These are similarities like what verification requires. The seller example has....neither
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town I don't disagree. At the very least, I'd definitely would say it's questionable.

Post 35 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Each and every one you provided..every single one has the odd character between the B amd y as Etapi mentioned each and every one you provided the crossing lines in Kirby break the vertical stroke as well. These are similarities like what verification requires. The seller example has....neither

And yet, you already admitted that experts don't look for differences, they look for similarities. I see a lot of those. I wonder why you keep harping on the differences when you've already said that those are immaterial?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think they're both fake- They both look like they were written slowly. The "an" in "Stan" screams careful strokes, as does the "by" in "Kirby". Both are the same size. Both look like they were written with the same pen/pencil.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector peterc777 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know what's going on with the Stan Lee signatures -- seems shady for sure, but I'm not convinced about the Kirby. It seems comparable to many of the examples of authentic autographs posted. My two cents.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
...there is a no chance that these were prepared for him to sign last year.

I had my book signed by him (witnessed by trinity) last year. End of May, I believe.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

And yet, you already admitted that experts don't look for differences, they look for similarities. I see a lot of those. I wonder why you keep harping on the differences when you've already said that those are immaterial?
the SIMILARITIES I see are superficial. The main factors that are consistent in most examples are missing. You asked my opinion then accuse me of harping.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
LOL. I can't believe anyone would think those ajfootstock sigs are even remotely real. They're fake - and crappy fakes at that.

Authentic Kirby sigs are bold and confident. Even when he was up there in age and his hand was shaking, Jack Kirby signed BOLD with a consistent slant and spacing - as per someone who was one of the greatest artists to ever hold a pen/pencil.

There are plenty of authentic Kirby examples to compare to here - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/SigneeSearch.asp?sid=148&sig=Jack_Kirby

The only thing worse than those Kirby fakes are his Lee fakes.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
LOL. Take a look at ajfootstock account's past sales-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91436&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=ajfootstock&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Check out all his hilarious awful Kirby and Lee fakes. He sure seems to have an endless supply of these sigs.

And then check out his lavelle834 account-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91436&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=lavelle834&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Same guy. Even more Kirby and Lee fakes, plus Mignola and Turner fakes. Guessing his fakes caught up to him so he opened a new account to keep his scam going.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Yeah when you go to those links you can really tell the Kirby ones are all faked for sure...the Stan Lee signatures I am not as familiar with as I only own one, but they do not resemble mine. Serious Scammer for sure
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eee91
LOL. Take a look at ajfootstock account's past sales-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91436&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=ajfootstock&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Check out all his hilarious awful Kirby and Lee fakes. He sure seems to have an endless supply of these sigs.

And then check out his lavelle834 account-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91436&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=lavelle834&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Same guy. Even more Kirby and Lee fakes, plus Mignola and Turner fakes. Guessing his fakes caught up to him so he opened a new account to keep his scam going.

It's literally the exact same Black Panther with the fake sigs that already sold for $204, when he has it going on his other selling page. I reported these yesterday, they're still up and he's still selling. This is so obviously a scam, where is ebay on this?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Same guy... check out the other fakes. clickable text

Fake Mike Mignola Sketches Sell for Hundreds Of Dollars on eBay

Posted by Rich Johnston June 8, 2019 2 Comments
Mike Mignola is the creator of the Hellboy character, and his wide, wonderful world, and has been a comic book writer and artist for decades. His work is in demand, and he doesn’t sell a lot of original artwork. So when someone pops up on eBay selling Mike’s sketches, they can fetch a pretty penny. This piece sold for $610 on June 2nd after 23 bids.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Sad that ebay continues to give this guy enough room to scam people out of their hard earned coin...looks like each time he is caught he makes a new name and is off and running again. Those signatures he is selling are rather obvious and I am surprised so many fall for it
Post 46 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
To be honest, this is one of a few reasons why I am thinking of shutting down my eBay account. It's already hard not knowing what you are buying is exactly what they say it is. But this? I'd rather do honest business with any CBCS forum banned self-entitled egomaniacs than make a bid on something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
can't the seller be reported?

Yes, and the seller should since there is a no chance that these were prepared for him to sign last year.
You can shut down an ebay account?

I got the books i was chasing NM98, ASM300 and ASM361. didn't know you can deactivate it

Yeah. All you have to do is press the "Close my account" option and go through the process. I do highly suggest that it not be done right away because there might be other things you might want later on. In my case I ended up purchasing three different Transformers for my two Headmasters focus collections. Two of them after I posted that. So let it sit there, and only deactivate it if you feel that your comic shopping becomes an issue.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Even then you can purchase on eBay as a guest provided feedback isn't your deal
Post 48 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Sad that ebay continues to give this guy enough room to scam people out of their hard earned coin...looks like each time he is caught he makes a new name and is off and running again. Those signatures he is selling are rather obvious and I am surprised so many fall for it

I have at least two key moments in my life that are squarely parallel to how little eBay cares. The difference is that one is a business that cared about a free forum service more than those who buy their products. And the other is a fansite owner that cared more about his star contributor than the issues the person creates. Not just for the members he relies on, but also those who offer their time working there.

Point is that eBay is there to make money. I cannot say that they will actually do anything to this scammer. All I know is that the scammer is a "honest" business owner as long as nobody reports them.
Post 49 IP   flag post
598065 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?