Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

In case anyone here collects transformers....9783

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Wal Mart is continuing their re-issue series of transformers...this time with the iconic Sounwave, as well as two cards of Casettes. You can get soundwave and buzzsaw for around 47 dollars, and the two cards are ravage and rumble, or Frenzy and Lazerbeak. The casettes cost 19 and some change per card …..I have one in hand and they made it a pre rub sign version, and fairly close to the original, except the buttons are now molded into a single piece, an this version has the external hinges for the tape door, and has the raised door, rather than the flat type from the original generation one toy. The generation one version also came inside a foam tray in the box whereas this reissue utilizes a simple plastic holder type tray.The only other easily spottable difference is the cassette weapons lack pointy extrusions, likely a concession to child toy safety laws.They are selling fast!!

https://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com/2019/01/soundwave-g1-re-issue-coming-to-walmart.html
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town thanks for the heads up.
I went to two different Wal-mart's, found only two Soundwaves, no cassettes...

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Well, now I'm going to have to go to Wal-Mart. On a related note. The $200+ pricetag was too much for me right after SDCC, but the ecto-35 was amazing. Optimus prime decked out for ghostbusters.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not all wal marts are created equal...some may not have placed them in the sales module yet or same with cassettes. There are two separate cassette cards though....one thing I noticed and perhaps someone can verify if they open their purchase.....the thing with the raised door and hinges kept bugging me.....Why would they do that? Answer , because this isn't the original generation one mold they used.....but what then....then I figured it out. The last time I saw a raised door and external hinges it belonged to SoundBlaster. And if you know your transformers lore, one unique quality about soundblaster is he could hold and carry at least two cassettes!!

I have a working theory that the soundwave was made using a different mold to help maintain collectability of the generation one figures while offering a distinct and quality offering...for those who figure it out that will make this figure sell like hotcakes...cause soundblaster as a generation one figure was never offered commercially in the continental us..
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I understood "Transformers" & "Wal-Mart". That's about it
Post 5 IP   flag post
umm Siggy, buy a few, leave them in the box, sell them for a double markup in a month and say yay...that's all you need bro
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
"Selling" & "Siggy" don't mix too well lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@Darkseid_of_town thanks for the heads up.
I went to two different Wal-mart's, found only two Soundwaves, no cassettes...

Welcome, and happy hunting Gana...the cassettes are out there....I saw them myself. I bought the ravage card in fact, cause my Grimlock cat resembles Ravage...
I already have the original generation one pieces all Mint or close to in the original packaging, but they were opened and displayed
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
"Selling" & "Siggy" don't mix too well lol
Well I did my best for ya , least you were warned its happening!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy I bet your favorite He-Man villain was Hordak
Post 10 IP   flag post
oh man I was right..check it out....

http://www.tfu.info/1987/Destron/Soundblaster/soundblaster.htm

Notice the one piece set of buttons, external hinges and raised door. They have given us soundblaster as soundwave....betting serious money it holds more than one casette
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@Siggy I bet your favorite He-Man villain was Hordak

lol
He-Man is from my oldest nephew's era. I watched a few episodes, but don't remember him. Looks pretty cool (just googled it), but too much blue, like Skeletor.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
So, little more on this. Most super wal-marts (not all) are getting 6 each. It's part of a re-do toy section for them. Locally, 3 wal-marts are out of them because they've already re-done their toy section. I went to two that claimed to have them and at both places was told "oh, that's part of the new toy section; all that's on 20 pallets set to be put out later this week". For the casettes, those were released a while ago (think I saw them in March?) at $20 for set of 2 cassettes and 2 different packages. So, if you really want these they simply not be out yet at your local wal-mart, but are selling for $70 (lowest price) on ebay, about $20 over what they are in store. I did pick up an optimus on clearance for $25 and the white turtle+comic set for the 35th anniversary.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yes you are describing what they call a "new mod" or reset of the action figures aisle for wal mart. From time to time, they do this for nearly every mod in the store. The mod, or module dropped last week and many stores run behind getting it reset while some are current and set the mods as fast as they drop. The mod includes the entire action figure aisle, and also involves adding new Batman figures , and switching out many of the older Jurassic world dinosaurs for newer releases. Nasutoceratops and Concavenator for instance were shuffled off to clearance. (Which for me is as important as the new soundwave being offered)

Once the mod is reset, meaning moved around, old items removed, new ones added and any price changes implemented, it will likely remain roughly three months. The soundwave and cassettes were all part of this new mod. If the cassettes appeared earlier it was an issue with a given store failing to follow protocol
The ones that haven't reset the mod will eventually and the cassettes and soundwaves will appear then at the given stores.

what is rather amusing is then we get to see if the toys sold out nationally, by watching to see if a refill comes for those that sell out or the figures become unavailable and those spots sit empty till time to reset the mod again. That was the case last time around when Starscream, Hot Rod, and Devastator were released. Starscream sold out within three days, Hot rod followed within a few weeks and so did Devastator. None were ever refilled and no resupply was available. If that happens this instance the soundwaves will double or triple in price rapidly
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Was going to post about this, but couldn’t find the older thread which I showed a bunch of my G1 re-issues.

Picked mine up Wednesday. Picked the best one out of a lot of 6. No cassettes though. I’m going to have to buy two of each of the cassette blister packs as I’ll want to open 1 and stash the other away!

Hope Blaster and h autobot cassettes follow this.

Here’s a link which reports where these and other transformer toys have been sighted in stores. I use this to know when they show up...typically northeast is the last to get these...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Btw, I don’t see this reissue of sound wave being a great investment...this toy has been reissued several times already, and with more cassettes included. All of which go for between $50-$100.

He best version still is the TRU masterpiece.
Post 16 IP   flag post
And I see it as the reverse case. First time it's been reissued in a manner that almost recaptures the generation one nostalgia look of the box toy and art. It also is going to be far more widespread being a wal Mart exclusive with their reach and market clout ....and nevermind it is being marketed by Wal Mart as a hands on toy for kids rather than an adult collectible which means alot of these will bite the dust
Post 17 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I hate you guys so much for not mentioning this to me sooner! And for forgetting me. And for not telling me that some of those on my "I cannot stand them!" list are no longer here. And nobody singing "Gettin' Siggy Wit It".

But to be honest I ended up deciding to pass on this one. Saying it is not why I have returned, but ti does help since I had the Encore version. Which I do think is the same mold they used to make this one, which was also used to make Soundblaster. Plus I am a little bit too nitpicky when it comes to what I would even consider adding to my collection.

*looks at his graded collection corner and notices that the cobweb is finally marrying the tumbleweed*

Then again, I found out that Siege is getting its first "Headmaster" (read: Titan Master) figure by the end of this year. Which is also one of my two remaining favorites. So happy hunting to those who are going for this trio.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
With all the Transformers interest out there and all the movies, can anyone explain why the original comic series has so little value relative to other movie related comics?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Because most of the bayformer movies did not use generation one characters or the style of transformers the comics did
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user

Should anyone be interested, I have G1 soundwave and a box of G1 transformers I am getting ready to sell. Bought a guys childhood toy collection. Got a box of original He-man toys out of it as well
Post 21 IP   flag post
When you are ready to sell show me what you are asking, etc
Post 22 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user

My son went to Look for a sound wave figure and found these instead. Last one and no figures available. Still cool.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Yeah they are selling fast. People love the packaging too
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Was going to post about this, but couldn’t find the older thread which I showed a bunch of my G1 re-issues.

Picked mine up Wednesday. Picked the best one out of a lot of 6. No cassettes though. I’m going to have to buy two of each of the cassette blister packs as I’ll want to open 1 and stash the other away!

Hope Blaster and h autobot cassettes follow this.

Here’s a link which reports where these and other transformer toys have been sighted in stores. I use this to know when they show up...typically northeast is the last to get these...

My soundwave I picked up Wednesday.

I went back this evening and the other 4 were gone.

But I did come across a box that hadn’t been opened/shelves yet....likely getting put out tomorrow, so I opened it!

And what was inside....?

Post 25 IP   flag post
and he scores!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Makes you wonder if they did megatron would it only be the pistol with no attachments, since prime had no trailer or roller, etc.

I vote to release Reflector !! since it was never commercially available in the US and only way to get it was via robot points mail ins
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Makes you wonder if they did megatron would it only be the pistol with no attachments, since prime had no trailer or roller, etc.

I vote to release Reflector !! since it was never commercially available in the US and only way to get it was via robot points mail ins

Not seeing Megatron released...they’d have to add an orange piece too to differentiate it from a real gun. Th foreign remakes are the ones to chase down if you’re looking for something close to authentic repro.

As for reflector, his toy, like many of the transformers toys, didn’t exactly resemble the cartoon.

I think Walmart will likely stick to re-issueing,what TRU was re-issuing....

Would love to see a Hound repro.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I have an original G1 movie Edition Megatron with unapplied decals so no pressure for me if they do or do not release it. There have been multiple reissues in the US with the orange barrel piece, that law requires so I do not see that as a deal breaker.

Reflector was modeled on the chassis originally used for the pre transformers camera toy by Microx. It was such a minor character in the cartoon, but technically the first true combiner released in the line, albeit not through commercial sources.
Hound has seen multiple US reissues, but its a nice toy if they retain the metal body panels used for the G1 along with the chrome accessories used in the original. Real Rubber tires too....one of the tougher generation one toys to find unbroken and complete, with good paint and stickers
Post 29 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

TakaraTomy probably would do that since the P38 alt-mode is not banned in Japan. Plus they are also reissuing Convoy (Optimus Prime) cab-less. So they might. But in the West, it would be another topic for the "experts" to cry about in the forums. Or be very tricky to sell since it is both a reissue of a pre-Transformers line that based it on an actual gun.

Quote:

I want to second this idea! The 'Siege' reboot version (Reflektor) is getting a "vintage color" exclusive set. So it would make sense that this one be pushed alongside (or after) Astrotrain is released! (Of course I may not get it since it would be hard to find here, and eBay sellers would have it for $Your First Born as the "Buy it now or regret it later!" option.)
Post 30 IP   flag post
598061 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?