CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone use top loaders?
Good for shipping?
Best brand?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Just be careful putting the book in them and all is well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I know you are referring to comics, but figured I'd chime in on a secondary use of top loaders.

I bought a few for posters. I figured I'd use them as holders until I figured out what to do with them.

I had mixed results. 2/3 were cracked. However, the one that was intact looks great.

I bought BCW from Amazon.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
Good for shipping?
Best brand?

Great for shipping when combined with a Gemini Comic Book Mailer. Ultra Pro top loaders aren't bad.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Good for shipping?
Best brand?

It has been my experience that top loaders are superb in conjunction with bagged books in Mylar sleeves and backing boards. TL's provide greater protection on three sides and are very light ...much lighter than grading service holders... making them ideally suited for safe transport.

These are particularly useful for low/mid-grade books, but there’s also a range of sizes including magazine and poster sized top loaders available. I haven’t tried a wide variety of brands to compare quality, but I’ve had no problems with BCW top loaders.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Best deal?
clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve picked up a few BCW top loaders. They seem to work well. One thing I learned is that if you are going to bag a 1990’s to present book, in a 2 mil Mylar and full back, it will only fit in a silver age or larger top loader. If you’re using Mylar and full backs I’d suggest going up one size larger.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I found Golden Age top loaders for my bagged n boarded Silver Age books for $1.09 each. Good deal?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man that's pretty good. Is it from a company or private seller?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I use top loaders for a lot of my prints that I sell at the shows. They provide some good protection at a decent price.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips Is $1.09 a good price per?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@comic_book_man that's pretty good. Is it from a company or private seller?

I found them on cardboardgold.com
/w FREE shipping

They also accept coupons so I imagine you could save another 10-30% off these throughout the year.
Post 12 IP   flag post
What's the best way to ship multiple top loader books? Do you tape them together and tape the tops closed?

@GanaSoth How do you do it?
Post 13 IP   flag post
You can use one piece of tape at the top middle of the top-loader. I kinda pinch the top together then tape it so the comic doesn't flop around from top to bottom or bottom from top in the top-loader. You can stack the top-loader on top of one another in the Gemini Comic Book Mailer or separate them with a cheap backing board.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@BrianGreensnips Is $1.09 a good price per?
That price sounds good. @GanaSoth provides some very good advice.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I use a company called Cardboard Gold for my 18x24 top loaders. I get a 50 count for $145 with free shipping. That comes put to $2.90 each which is much cheaper than the other companys and they usually only sell 5 or 10 in a lot. Remember these are much larger than the size you will need, but I want to do a comparison. I love Bags Unlimited for certain things, but I will not buy their 18x24 toploaders. Their price is $36.89 for 5 of them. This comes out to $7.40 each. You may want to check out Cardboard Gold. Hopefully they have a compatible size for what you are doing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips
Looks like the same company the other guy listed. I was looking to pick up about 10 to put a couple of my good raws in with the mylite fullback combo. Looks like the place only sells packs of 50. $3 for a top loader is considered cheap?

So if I want to fit my mylites and fullback/halfback. What size top loader should I get?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@moodswing From what I understand it's one size up if its bagged and boarded. So I put my Silvers into a Gold top loader.

@BrianGreensnips @GanaSoth confirm?
Post 18 IP   flag post
I use Standard Mylites2s with Fullbacks and you would need a golden-age size top-loader with this size combination.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Best deal?
clickable text
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
You can use one piece of tape at the top middle of the top-loader. I kinda pinch the top together then tape it so the comic doesn't flop around from top to bottom or bottom from top in the top-loader. You can stack the top-loader on top of one another in the Gemini Comic Book Mailer or separate them with a cheap backing board.

Do square bound comics books fit in top-loaders? What size?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Golden Age top loader will work best with your Mylite and board. @moodswing For 18x24 size is cheap. The Golden Age size should be about $1 each.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
@moodswing From what I understand it's one size up if its bagged and boarded. So I put my Silvers into a Gold top loader.

@BrianGreensnips @GanaSoth confirm?
Confirmed.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598033 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?