Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Extremely disapointed...9759

Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
In the same boat “bodmer71”. I have a Silver Surfer #50 3rd printing that was slabbed and graded by CBCS at 9.4. Took it to East Coast Comic Con to get it Signed by Ron Lim and Jim Starlin. Took it to their booth they cracked it (CBCS)and witnessed it being Signed. Resubmitted it with pressing. Waiting on the results.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Your complaints about a .2 grade drop is pointless. You can get that .2 back easily with another resubmission. Just depends on the grader. If you want to talk about dissapointment. I had a Silver Surfer#1 8.5 that got regraded to 6.5 by CBCS. That is something to cry about, lol.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
very idea of jockeying for elusively higher grade bumps seems uncomfortably close to gaming the system.

Welcome to the second coming of the investment age. Bigger and badder. We all know how it will end.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector bodmer71 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Your complaints about a .2 grade drop is pointless. You can get that .2 back easily with another resubmission. Just depends on the grader. If you want to talk about dissapointment. I had a Silver Surfer#1 8.5 that got regraded to 6.5 by CBCS. That is something to cry about, lol.

That is a bummer... Did you get it pressed too? Bummer either way.
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Maybe the first grader(s) was/were too lax and these are the more accurate grades. Of course grading is subjective...its not and never has been an exact science.

Unless some damage did occur, the grading during one of his submissions was off. In at least one instance he did not get what he paid for.

Not sure how one comes to that conclusion. We're dealing with subjectivity here. In every case where the grade went down, it went down 1 grade point. Where it went up, it was 2 grade points. The other was the same. Certainly a single grade point difference is acceptable within the arena of grading subjectivity?

Most say that when it is someone else’s books. I understand subjectivity, but a book shouldn’t get 9.2 one day...9.4 or even a 9.6 the next. Especially when it is the same grading team.

This could be said for both companies, but it happens every single day. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if resubmissions weren't built into the system. Furthermore, I would also say that it gives your line of work a certain amount of supply. If a book comes back a 9.2, get it pressed. If a book comes back a 9.4, get it pressed. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodmer71
Quote:
To me, this whole discussion exemplifies what’s wrong with the crack and press culture. While I’m not opposed to collectors and dealers occasionally pressing books to alleviate minor bends, non-color breaking points of stress and spine roll, the very idea of jockeying for elusively higher grade bumps seems uncomfortably close to gaming the system.

Collecting HG comics shouldn’t be a process reminiscent of pulling the lever on a Las Vegas slot machine.

As I see it, there’s no such thing as “maintaining” a grade on an already slabbed book. No offense to the OP, but the very idea of experimenting with HG books is anathema and seems a bit OC to me. Beyond a certain point the grade of a book should just be whatever it is.

If my one-arm bandit analogy seems a little harsh, just look at how unreliable the current census is over at the CGC (mostly from crack and press resubs). If this isn’t trying to game the system, I don’t know what is.

Without owners supplying old labels to the grading service graders and management don’t have the reliable data needed to remove prior entries. IOW, you get multiple listings of the same book, which misinforms the public. The CGC even posts a disclaimer to that effect.

This isn’t about profits or loses or criticizing those who resubmit books with best intentions, it’s about trying to keep the system honest so the collecting community at large can have trust in it.

Take it easy, governor. I wasn't cracking, pressing, resubmitting to get higher grades... Read the original post a little closer before you start throwing out terms like "crack and press culture" or "gaming the system." I cracked the books to have them signed. I got them pressed because I thought the could benefit from a press... I was hopeful that the grades would go up, but certainly not expecting them to go down.

Also, your comment about "maintaining grades" is misguided, at best. Why would I crack and resubmit a 9.8 if I wasn't getting it signed? Were you assuming that I was just going to get it cracked and pressed for the hell of it? Or because I was trying to get a 9.9? I got it pressed for the exact same reasons that I mentioned previously... because grading is subjective, and if there was a minor flaw that the initial grader overlooked, and the second grader might have caught, I'd rather be safe than sorry for that type of book...

No offense was intended. Your comments seemed a bit contradictory, especially the part about running an experiment, but that’s just my take on it. I’d assumed you were having the 9.8 signed and then re-holdered although that wasn’t the clearly stated goal brought forward through your statement.

FTR, I’m generally opposed to rolling the dice with grade bumps, especially on high grade books. So my response was meant to be taken in a broader context, that of the growth of a culture of cracking and pressing books. That part wasn’t directed at you or anyone specifically. Sorry you took it that way.

Peace, bro.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To me, this whole discussion exemplifies what’s wrong with the crack and press culture. While I’m not opposed to collectors and dealers occasionally pressing books to alleviate minor bends, non-color breaking points of stress and spine roll, the very idea of jockeying for elusively higher grade bumps seems uncomfortably close to gaming the system.

Collecting HG comics shouldn’t be a process reminiscent of pulling the lever on a Las Vegas slot machine.

As I see it, there’s no such thing as “maintaining” a grade on an already slabbed book. No offense to the OP, but the very idea of experimenting with HG books is anathema and seems a bit OC to me. Beyond a certain point the grade of a book should just be whatever it is.

If my one-arm bandit analogy seems a little harsh, just look at how unreliable the current census is over at the CGC (mostly from crack and press resubs). If this isn’t trying to game the system, I don’t know what is.

Without owners supplying old labels to the grading service graders and management don’t have the reliable data needed to remove prior entries. IOW, you get multiple listings of the same book, which misinforms the public. The CGC even posts a disclaimer to that effect.

This isn’t about profits or loses or criticizing those who resubmit books with best intentions, it’s about trying to keep the system honest so the collecting community at large can have trust in it.

Take it easy, governor. I wasn't cracking, pressing, resubmitting to get higher grades... Read the original post a little closer before you start throwing out terms like "crack and press culture" or "gaming the system." I cracked the books to have them signed. I got them pressed because I thought the could benefit from a press... I was hopeful that the grades would go up, but certainly not expecting them to go down.

Also, your comment about "maintaining grades" is misguided, at best. Why would I crack and resubmit a 9.8 if I wasn't getting it signed? Were you assuming that I was just going to get it cracked and pressed for the hell of it? Or because I was trying to get a 9.9? I got it pressed for the exact same reasons that I mentioned previously... because grading is subjective, and if there was a minor flaw that the initial grader overlooked, and the second grader might have caught, I'd rather be safe than sorry for that type of book...

No offense was intended. Your comments seemed a bit contradictory, especially the part about running an experiment, but that’s just my take on it. I’d assumed you were having the 9.8 signed and then re-holdered although that wasn’t the clearly stated goal brought forward through your statement.

FTR, I’m generally opposed to rolling the dice with grade bumps, especially on high grade books. So my response was meant to be taken in a broader context, that of the growth of a culture of cracking and pressing books. That part wasn’t directed at you or anyone specifically. Sorry you took it that way.

Peace, bro.

No problem. Tiger got out of the cage...
Post 32 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Peace, bro.

No problem. Tiger got out of the cage...

Owl's well that ends well!

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would never crack a 9.8 out to get signed. I would find another really nice raw copy and get that signed,pressed and slabbed. That way I am not taking any chances. Just my opinion.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
While I appreciate that you were getting some of these books signed I do not think cracking a book graded 9.8 or better is a good idea.

Those grades are hard enough to get once. Expecting lightning to stroke twice seems risky even with a press.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I would never crack a 9.8 out to get signed. I would find another really nice raw copy and get that signed,pressed and slabbed. That way I am not taking any chances. Just my opinion.

I agree and that definitely occurred to me... but I bought the 9.8 in an auction for around the same price that "NM" books were selling for on eBay. I was actually hoping to find a NM raw book, or a cheaper 9.6 to crack, but no luck... Honestly, it came down to what I could find on relatively short notice.

Last year I bought a CBCS 9.6 of TEC 880 for around $200... got it signed by Snyder and Jock... got it pressed and re-graded and it came back a 9.8... that's pretty much the dream.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
While I appreciate that you were getting some of these books signed I do not think cracking a book graded 9.8 or better is a good idea.

Those grades are hard enough to get once. Expecting lightning to stroke twice seems risky even with a press.

I got all of them signed. I collect signed books... blue labels have much less appeal to me... It's just what I choose to collect. Some people prefer to have their cucumbers pickled... just saying.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
If you want to talk about dissapointment. I had a Silver Surfer#1 8.5 that got regraded to 6.5 by CBCS. That is something to cry about, lol.

I paid good money for a Batman 227 in 6.0 CGC grade....had cbcs crack it and witness a couple sigs..then sent in for a press and grade...came back 4.0.

It’s a damn fine looking 4.0, though.

Same convention my Batman 251 in 5.5 cgc grade dropped to a 5.0. Same situation. So crack, sign, press, regrade netted me a loss of 2.5 over two books.

Edit: for the records these were for the PC so the grade in the end doesn't matter to me...they’re nice books to look at, especially give their “low” grade.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I just can't imagine taking a chance with all that additional handling and shipping of books already graded in the stratosphere. For me anything over 9.4 is slabbed for as long as I own it. Very rarely would I consider even cracking at 9.2 or 9.4. Too much downside, too little upside. Of course collecting signatures is a different situation.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Maybe the first grader(s) was/were too lax and these are the more accurate grades. Of course grading is subjective...its not and never has been an exact science.

Unless some damage did occur, the grading during one of his submissions was off. In at least one instance he did not get what he paid for.

Not sure how one comes to that conclusion. We're dealing with subjectivity here. In every case where the grade went down, it went down 1 grade point. Where it went up, it was 2 grade points. The other was the same. Certainly a single grade point difference is acceptable within the arena of grading subjectivity?

Most say that when it is someone else’s books. I understand subjectivity, but a book shouldn’t get 9.2 one day...9.4 or even a 9.6 the next. Especially when it is the same grading team.

Hmm. Usually I find myself mostly agreeing with your observations Joe - especially on grading related issues. But I'm not seeing this the same way. Unless the grading companies - any of them - starting hiding codes inside the books with invisible ink there is no way it's going to be exactly the same every time with every book. A one grade variance is not much. It's tiny actually. A book could have been on the boarderline of 9.2/9.4. So could go either way on resub.

There are also at least two other considerations with the bunch of books being discussed. Which apply to most other books and (re)submissions.

1) We are not talking one day versus the next day. For all we know, the books the OP talks about were originally graded months or years ago. We know some were by different companies. It is not the same graders, it's not close to the same time.

2) There is also the X-Factor of handling. The books were cracked out. The books were bagged and boarded. the books were signed. Then submitted. They spent time in a box, in transit. They were handled by the pressing service. They were handled by the people in receiving. By the person doing the restoration check (which by itself can put a fair amount of stress on a book) By multiple graders.

There are simply too many variables to point a finger at one place or spot of the process.

Ultimately, it's speculation about any given book and it's grade being accurate or not. To form an informed opinion, I'd have to carefully look at the book and check any grading notes.

The OP's post makes it sound as though he just got the grades....But HAS NOT YET received the books. When they arrive, the OP should look the books over closely, review the grading notes. If any appear under-graded, maybe it's worth trying again. If the books look like they are graded accurately, then ya know, just had some that didn't do as well as hoped.

And BTW, I'll echo another poster here. It's madness to crack a certified 9.8 to get a signature. You have no where to go than down or the same. It only makes sense if you value the signature way more than the 9.8 grade.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan I agree with 99% of what you said. The only thing I disagree with (and this is 100% from a personal point of view) is that it's "madness to crack a certified 9.8 to get a signature". The only reason I don't agree with that is (again 100% personal pov) I'd rather have a signed 9.6 than an unsigned 9.8 of pretty much anything.

Of course you also have to take into account that this is coming from someone that works for a certified grading company and in the vast majority of cases doesn't give two hairs off a rat's behind about condition. I collect books I like and don't concern myself with grade or value, I collect for the enjoyment of it. Is it nice to see that something I've bought occasionally increases in value? Sure it is. However, that's definitely not a contributing factor to any purchases I've made in a very long time.

Anyone submitting books for pressing has a responsibility to educate their self on the process. You need to learn what is and isn't a pressible defect. I've seen countless books submitted for pressing that are a waste of the submitter's money and the presser's time because there's nothing that pressing is going to do to improve the book. Some books simply won't benefit from it and can, in fact, sustain damage from the process. Pressing a book doesn't ensure a grade bump and can, without question, cause a grade drop. It's not magic, it's part art and science, just like grading.

Also, consider pressing to be very much like tattooing. Know who you're entrusting your books to. Would you blindly walk in and get a tattoo? I hope not. Ask to see examples of the person's work so you can gauge their ability. I can count on one hand the number of people I'd ever consider submitting a book to for pressing.

As far as grading goes... if you have a book that's in a slab which you crack out (regardless of grade) and whether you have anything done to it or not, there's no guarantee it's coming back the same grade. If you look on any reputable grading company's site you'll find the statement that once a slab is opened it nullifies any previously assigned grade given to the book. There's a degree of risk involved with cracking any slab and you have to know, understand and be willing to accept that risk.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
So... have a 9.8, had someone scribble on it , the grade got reduced. So what once was a pristine clean book , is now a not so highly grading book with scribble on the cover ..

This crazy (IMO) pursuit of cracking high grade books so someone famous can scribble on the cover is what will make clean covered 9.8s harder and harder to come by over time. ...
Post 42 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

This could be said for both companies, but it happens every single day. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if resubmissions weren't built into the system. Furthermore, I would also say that it gives your line of work a certain amount of supply. If a book comes back a 9.2, get it pressed. If a book comes back a 9.4, get it pressed. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Can you please stop using sound logic. It confuses me.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:

I know. It's crazy.
Post 44 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Hmm. Usually I find myself mostly agreeing with your observations Joe - especially on grading related issues. But I'm not seeing this the same way. Unless the grading companies - any of them - starting hiding codes inside the books with invisible ink there is no way it's going to be exactly the same every time with every book. A one grade variance is not much. It's tiny actually. A book could have been on the boarderline of 9.2/9.4. So could go either way on resub.

There are also at least two other considerations with the bunch of books being discussed. Which apply to most other books and (re)submissions.

1) We are not talking one day versus the next day. For all we know, the books the OP talks about were originally graded months or years ago. We know some were by different companies. It is not the same graders, it's not close to the same time.

2) There is also the X-Factor of handling. The books were cracked out. The books were bagged and boarded. the books were signed. Then submitted. They spent time in a box, in transit. They were handled by the pressing service. They were handled by the people in receiving. By the person doing the restoration check (which by itself can put a fair amount of stress on a book) By multiple graders.

There are simply too many variables to point a finger at one place or spot of the process.

Ultimately, it's speculation about any given book and it's grade being accurate or not. To form an informed opinion, I'd have to carefully look at the book and check any grading notes.

The OP's post makes it sound as though he just got the grades....But HAS NOT YET received the books. When they arrive, the OP should look the books over closely, review the grading notes. If any appear under-graded, maybe it's worth trying again. If the books look like they are graded accurately, then ya know, just had some that didn't do as well as hoped.

And BTW, I'll echo another poster here. It's madness to crack a certified 9.8 to get a signature. You have no where to go than down or the same. It only makes sense if you value the signature way more than the 9.8 grade.

I don’t think we are that far apart Tony. I am coming from the angle of differences in value. One day the book is a 9.6 and worth $150 and the next a 9.8 and worth $1,000.00.
In reality it’s not a simple .2 difference.

Imagine how this line of thinking would be received if we applied it to pressing.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I don’t think we are that far apart Tony. I am coming from the angle of differences in value. One day the book is a 9.6 and worth $150 and the next a 9.8 and worth $1,000.00.
In reality it’s not a simple .2 difference.

Imagine how this line of thinking would be received if we applied it to pressing.
And it's at this point that I have to quote you to you.

Quote:
LOL
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
I am coming from the angle of differences in value. One day the book is a 9.6 and worth $150 and the next a 9.8 and worth $1,000.00. In reality it’s not a simple .2 difference.

And it really is crazy. These are small time examples with my own books. I used to think I need 9.8s on everything. I have started thinking differently. Every one of these could be sitting in a 9.8 holder, but they are labelled as 9.6s:

Uncanny X-Men 142 paid $122 for a 9.6. Sells for average $264 in 9.8. Saved $142.

Uncanny X-Men 146 paid $33 for a 9.6. Sells for average $75 in 9.8. Saved $42.

Uncanny X-Men 147 paid $40 for a 9.6. Sells for average $74 in 9.8. Saved $34.

Uncanny X-Men 148 paid $35 for a 9.6. Sells for average $105 in 9.8. Saved $70.

In total, I paid $230 for four books in 9.6 that would have cost me $518 in 9.8. In my opinion, I have the exact same books and saved $288. The only difference is that I didn't pay an additional $288 for a stranger's opinion on whether or not one book was .2 better than another. I can now take my $288 and buy four more books.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I will share a recent experience.

I had an Astonishing Tales 25 graded a 9.4 by CGC, which I paid a little under GPA. I had it cracked at East Coast ComicCon hoping to get George Perez's signature.

I was third in line before they said that George would not be doing any more signatures that Friday because he had to go to a panel. I figured may as well have it regraded in a CBCS case for preservation at that point.

Just checked the graders notes and it came back a 9.0

Double whammy on not getting the signature and then the grade hit.

You win some you lose some. Oh well.
Post 48 IP   flag post
If you want to get really crazy, $11,000 in 9.8. No where near that in 9.6.

Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I know. It's crazy.

Joe is too smart for that trap
Post 50 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
I am coming from the angle of differences in value. One day the book is a 9.6 and worth $150 and the next a 9.8 and worth $1,000.00. In reality it’s not a simple .2 difference.

And it really is crazy. These are small time examples with my own books. I used to think I need 9.8s on everything. I have started thinking differently. Every one of these could be sitting in a 9.8 holder, but they are labelled as 9.6s:

Uncanny X-Men 142 paid $122 for a 9.6. Sells for average $264 in 9.8. Saved $142.

Uncanny X-Men 146 paid $33 for a 9.6. Sells for average $75 in 9.8. Saved $42.

Uncanny X-Men 147 paid $40 for a 9.6. Sells for average $74 in 9.8. Saved $34.

Uncanny X-Men 148 paid $35 for a 9.6. Sells for average $105 in 9.8. Saved $70.

In total, I paid $230 for four books in 9.6 that would have cost me $518 in 9.8. In my opinion, I have the exact same books and saved $288. The only difference is that I didn't pay an additional $288 for a stranger's opinion on whether or not one book was .2 better than another. I can now take my $288 and buy four more books.

Doc

I understanding your assumed reasoning here, that many 9.6 books could easily be a 9.8 on a given day, but by the same token many 9.6's at the lower end of the grade could easily be 9.4,s meaning you actually over paid for the book.

The other BIG difference you seem to be overlooking in your theory of how you saved $288 off the the 9.8 price? None of the books have a 9.8 label.

Until such time they are cracked, re-subbed and come back 9.8's, the books are worth $230, Not $518. That is also assuming they didn't all come back 9.4's in which case you lost value on having giving 9.6 prices for them. Yes grading is subjective, but this is simply failed logic in thinking you saved money off the 9.8 price, by buying 9.6 books, and nice looking books they are

PS: I also like buying nice 9.6 books
Post 51 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
So... have a 9.8, had someone scribble on it , the grade got reduced. So what once was a pristine clean book , is now a not so highly grading book with scribble on the cover ..

This crazy (IMO) pursuit of cracking high grade books so someone famous can scribble on the cover is what will make clean covered 9.8s harder and harder to come by over time. ...

I agree. I would rather have a clean unaltered 9.6, than a 9.8 that has been defaced by writing
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
never caught on to the whole taking 9.6 and 9.8 vintage books to someone to scribble all over ...if the comic made it for 40-50 years in that nice of shape why take it on yourself to get it all scribbled up...flip side, newer books that hold little value or represent much of comic history, sure, have it ….by example passed on many older silver books signed by stan lee, but settled on a Spider Gwen 1 signed by him. If its a signature you are after it really doesn't change much if you have it on JIM 100 or Thor 343
Post 53 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Agree 100% I see the Boston copy of Avengers 4 in 9.4 with Stan Lee sig on the cover and I cringe.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Strange tales 107 signed by Lee on the cover but the book graded only a 3.5 and is a under copy
Post 55 IP   flag post
597875 95 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?