Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
So I get the purpose of VSP vs. ASP. However, would a valid notary seal qualify a book for ASP if it's legit and verified?

Just wondering. I'm guessing no, but a notary seal is accepted even by government agencies as legit, so it's a valid question (I think).

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
The problem, of course, is that there's no way to be sure the certificate that is notarized goes with the book beside it. It would have to be permanently affixed to the book and even then....

Or that the notary was fully aware of what they were notarizing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't think so. Probably pretty easy to fake a notary seal these days.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
The problem, of course, is that there's no way to be sure the certificate that is notarized goes with the book beside it. It would have to be permanently affixed to the book and even then....

Or that the notary was fully aware of what they were moralizing.

This, the notary seal confirms the authentication document, not the comic itself. You would need the notary seal on the comic for this to work. Notary seals are actually easy to fake, BUT with a quick check you can figure out if it's fraudulent. The seals are specific to a person. That notary is required to keep a log of everything they've notarized with extensive information. It is not difficult to verify if the notary associated with that seal actually notarized the document.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Paint_Monk - I used to be a Notary (still have my seal too). As stated, unless the seal is on the signed comic itself (which would leave a very nice impression in the cover, including some small holes!), I don't see any added value in using a Notary. The comic would have to go through VSP and get a Red Label if it passes. Slip the documentation inside the bag surrounding the slab as more provenance.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The problem, of course, is that there's no way to be sure the certificate that is notarized goes with the book beside it.
Exactly this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk
So I get the purpose of VSP vs. ASP. However, would a valid notary seal qualify a book for ASP if it's legit and verified?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
You could always......get the notary to sign and stamp the book. Right?!...right?!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Check out that outside upper front corner! Yikes
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Check out that outside upper front corner! Yikes

You could fix it Mike!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Or that the notary was fully aware of what they were notarizing.

So...matchung serial numbers would not qualify either, huh?

I have no books like this, but I've seen some DC Superman #75 like this.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks No, it would be even easier to fake the serial number than the signature(s).
Post 12 IP   flag post
598060 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?