Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

CGC Damages Book Then Bans Submitter951

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
A gentleman named Marky316 is a content creator on YouTube within the comic book community. He was a regular submitter to CGC and would feature the books in his videos and reviews. He had a couple of books sent in a couple of months ago, Caliber signed by James O'Barr being one of them, and got them back with the proverbial newton rings in a LOT of areas between the slab and the paper. Well he had it sent back in multiple times only to have it returned with the same issues.

Recently they told him that this was an "acceptable amount".

This last time, and you can see in the YouTube links below, he got the book back not only with the newton rings in abundance but the book had obvious waves on the back cover and DAMAGE and yet it retained it's 9.6 grade...

Pretty crazy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRv8zd9-jro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJYexoG_T0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io6rfnCWB3U

*** EDIT: I wrote the name of someone I know instead of James O'Barr so I had to change that haha **
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't think CGC could make their situation any worse, and then they pull this stunt.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm pretty amazed that people are still sending books into CGC at this point.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
CGC really pulled a boner with the new case fiasco, but I’d ban this guy, too. Does he really seem like someone you guys would want to deal with? And it’s not as if he can never send a book in again, all he has to do is submit through an authorized dealer though I would think that he’d give CBCS a shot first.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SidBoggle private msg quote post Address this user
They damaged my Elseworlds 80-page giant. Came back as an 8.5, I decided to take it out of the slab because I thought it had Newton rings and the back looked as if it had a ripple in it, and found a 4cm section of wear where the front cover joins the spine. It wasn't in the grading notes, so had to be new. I asked them, and they just shrugged their shoulders. Won't use them again...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBoggle
ecause I thought it

Wow that's crazy, did you submit it to CBCS?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I didn't think CGC could make their situation any worse, and then they pull this stunt.

Seriously!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector RageComics private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is on a downward slide but they know the crazy CGC Fanboys will keep submitting, so they just don't care that they are damaging books. They could encapsulate anything and the CGC fanboys will eat it up.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageComics
CGC is on a downward slide but they know the crazy CGC Fanboys will keep submitting, so they just don't care that they are damaging books. They could encapsulate anything and the CGC fanboys will eat it up.

Absolutely!

One thing that bothers me is if his book is sitting at a 9.6 when its clearly not, I worry about other books. Seeing this calls in to question the integrity of the other cgc grades if you ask me
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RageComics private msg quote post Address this user
It does for sure call into question the grading process.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

If that's still a 9.8, then I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector SidBoggle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics

Wow that's crazy, did you submit it to CBCS?

No, to CGC. I reckon it lost at least one grade - im going to see if anything can be done to salvage it, but eventually I'll have it re-slabbed by CBCS. Won't use CGC again...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageComics

Absolutely!

One thing that bothers me is if his book is sitting at a 9.6 when its clearly not, I worry about other books. Seeing this calls in to question the integrity of the other cgc grades if you ask me

Have you heard of SCS?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=794541&fpart=1
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Can you guys keep it down about CGC and posting about how bad things are with their new product. Your going to kill my turn around times with CBCS as people flood them with books.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Can you guys keep it down about CGC and posting about how bad things are with their new product. Your going to kill my turn around times with CBCS as people flood them with books.

LOL sorry!

You know, from a marketing perspective, this would be a good opportunity for CBCS to fly in and save this CGC refugee and save the day
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS received my prior CGC graded books. CFP handled them before CBCS received them. In any case, I am curious to see how the regrade turns out. I've had accounts with both companies for the same amount of time, but CBCS has definitely won me over for the long term. The antics across the street just take the starch out of the noodle.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

That's just painful to look at
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:

Mine may only be a 9.4 but at least it's still a 9.4

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Quote:

Mine may only be a 9.4 but so might that one

I'm hoping for a 9.8 again. The waves should press out. Some of the others in that batch of books experienced color breaks along the staples yet were still getting 9.6 and 9.8 grades.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Hopefully that will press out
Post 21 IP   flag post
Oh yeah. I sent all those books to CFP. Joe has done good work when I've used his service, so the ones that just experienced waves should be good to go.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Quote:

Mine may only be a 9.4 but so might that one

I'm hoping for a 9.8 again. The waves should press out. Some of the others in that batch of books experienced color breaks along the staples yet were still getting 9.6 and 9.8 grades.

Hopefully they do press out but it seriously sucks to have to sink more money into a book just to maintain the condition it was graded at
Post 23 IP   flag post
Here is a good presser: https://www.facebook.com/ComixNstuff22/
Post 24 IP   flag post
Ummm... I'll stick with Joey and CFP.

And if he was no longer available, off the top of my head there's probably a half dozen other places I'd go to before using that guy.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Ummm... I'll stick with Joey and CFP.

And if he was no longer available, off the top of my head there's probably a half dozen other places I'd go to before using that guy.

Ok, well no worries we all have our go-to people
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Let's just glaze over the fact that this guy is insane and deserves a ban.

In no way is this an endorsement one way or the other, but let's keep it scientific and stick with the facts.

Yes, CGC sucks pretty badly right now. No need to bash them on the competitor's forum. Not classy.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
A decade back and onwards CGC was arrogant beyond comprehension towards some of us who were pointing out inadequacies in long term archival storage so there might be variances of opine over just how classy CGC is in semi-final analysis. Many were fearful due to perceived power this org had over the life blood flow of the higher ends of this fine hobby.

Commodity manipulations can drive some insane pointing out their one shoe size does not fit all. CGC is the Enron of the comics biz. The bigger they are, the harder such arrogance falls.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI

In no way is this an endorsement one way or the other, but let's keep it scientific and stick with the facts.

Yes, CGC sucks pretty badly right now. No need to bash them on the competitor's forum. Not classy.

Who is insane? I hope you're not referring to me and no that is not me or my books. If you read my original post, i did not bash anyone, I listed the facts and nothing more, I refrained from editorializing. If you're talking about the guy in the YouTube videos, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Was it right to publicly bash a company like that, words strong words used that shouldnt have been? probably not, but that doesn't make the company's actions right or excusable.

Plus, I don't agree with not sharing information on other forums. If something happens - good or bad - it's nice to have it available to a wider audience. I dont see how that is not classy.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI

Who is insane? I hope you're not referring to me and no that is not me or my books. If you read my original post, i did not bash anyone, I listed the facts and nothing more, I refrained from editorializing. If you're talking about the guy in the YouTube videos, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Was it right to publicly bash a company like that, words strong words used that shouldnt have been? probably not, but that doesn't make the company's actions right or excusable.

Plus, I don't agree with not sharing information on other forums. If something happens - good or bad - it's nice to have it available to a wider audience. I dont see how that is not classy.

From what I'm seeing on this board it seems like some people do little more than bash CGC. I'm no CGC fanboy but I'd think that people on both sites might be better served laying off that stuff and trying to enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours.

No, I'm not trying to tell people how they should post.

I remember a few years ago when a couple of disgruntled CGC posters started up their own message board and a few of them just bashed CGC left and right instead of trying to grow the board.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601213 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?