Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Green vs Red label-which is better? Sandman #19455

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I recently purchased a Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 "green" label signed and sketched by Neil Gaiman...is it better to leave as a green label or for long term vslue possible resale is it better to have red? I dont have it in hand yet but here's some screenshots

I got this right before everything went crazy with sandman...like 12 hours before
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drahcir private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like Red Label makes way more sense. Green adds nothing to the value or credibility of the book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I mainly collect signed books and having the signee's name on the label means quite a bit to me so all else being equal, I'd take a red label over a CGC green every time.

The thing with the green label is that it's not made for unwitnessed signatures, they just happen to fall under the wide umbrella that it covers. I could buy a copy of Sandman, scribble on the cover and get a 9.8 green label same as the book you have. Not to say that yours is fake but the label doesn't add any value (monetary or otherwise) to the book. The red label specifically acknowledges the signature, which is a plus to a sig collector like me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I like the red label better because it gives a better authentication than the green label.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ninjarobert private msg quote post Address this user
Red label for sure.

Red label means the signature has been authenticated.

Green label has no authentication whatsoever... just means someone (anyone) wrote on the cover
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Red Label if you can be sure the 9.8 will hold...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
@Paulbg2000 I think that's my biggest worry...can they pre screen any part of this before they crack the slab...ie sig verification?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Enelson Beckett does have this service that may increase your confidence before submitting to CBCS as far as the signature verification.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
@Paulbg2000 I think that's my biggest worry...can they pre screen any part of this before they crack the slab...ie sig verification?

I don't know....but I imagine that pre-screening a signature for authenticity is the same as screening a signature for authenticity so you'd pay either way. Whether they can do that before cracking the case, I'm not sure...
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Red all the way every day over green.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Red:

Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I'm okay with green.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a red or green label. But I'd go over red any day over green.
I associate green labeled hulk 181 no value stamp present. And when I see a green label I always look at the info to find what is missing. Page, coupon, staple I don't normally think what was added like a signature.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Can you do Red Green?

Seriously, go red. Green is a phony baloney label.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Red all the way
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I could buy a copy of Sandman, scribble on the cover and get a 9.8 green label same as the book you have.

I'm not sure that's the case.

From what I understand, any writing from just anybody on the cover would be downgraded for. It's specifically for unwitnessed creator signatures that the book would get a qualified label. The green label is basically saying "Pretty sure this is real, but wasn't officially witnessed and so can't give it the yellow."
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I mainly collect signed books and having the signee's name on the label means quite a bit to me so all else being equal, I'd take a red label over a CGC green every time.

The thing with the green label is that it's not made for unwitnessed signatures, they just happen to fall under the wide umbrella that it covers. I could buy a copy of Sandman, scribble on the cover and get a 9.8 green label same as the book you have. Not to say that yours is fake but the label doesn't add any value (monetary or otherwise) to the book. The red label specifically acknowledges the signature, which is a plus to a sig collector like me.

Exactly.

I sold a SW#1 - signed by Chaykin, but it was in a green label. I knew it was legit, but others did not.

The green label has drawbacks that the red label eliminates.

Good post.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico

The green label is basically saying "Pretty sure this is real, but wasn't officially witnessed and so can't give it the yellow."

The green label makes no indication of likelihood of a signature being real; only that it was not witnessed. When submitting a book for a green label you don’t even have to indicate who you claim signed the book.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I am not sure why anyone would choose an non-authenticated signature over an authenticated signature?

I know things rarely make much sense in this industry, but this one seems to be..... I dunno.... obvious?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I am not sure why anyone would choose an non-authenticated signature over an authenticated signature?

I know things rarely make much sense in this industry, but this one seems to be..... I dunno.... obvious?

I have never purchased a green label before and didnt know if there were more benefits to leaving as is...or if there are risks I take by sending in for verification- decrease in grade, failure to authenticate...so nope..not "obvious" to me. That's why I asked
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I have never purchased a green label before and didnt know if there were more benefits to leaving as is...or if there are risks I take by sending in for verification- decrease in grade, failure to authenticate...so nope..not "obvious" to me. That's why I asked

It will have more value as a red label since the sig will be authenticated... you’ll also have peace of mind that you didn’t buy a fake. I would think if you sent to CBCS in the slab that the 9.8 would be preserved... but you never know. All that being said, if you’re happy with it keep it as is. Nice book btw... hoping to upgrade my 9.4 soon.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

I’d buy a green label if they’re were enough sample sigs to compare against. They’re usually pretty cheap
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't be seen green
Ooo! Oo! Oo! Ah! Ah!
I wouldn't be caught dead
And if I'm caught at all
Then catch me in dead, red
Ooo!
You've got to be dead red
You've got to be real hot
So throw away those green gems
And wear rubies on your yacht
You've got to be dead, red
You've got to have flash and flair
And if you're not seen red
Then you shouldn't be seen nowhere
Ah!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Signature looks legit. My old 6 was signed way back in 91/92.
So if you own the green label I'd get it slab red. And if you're not thinking of selling right away. I'd get the red label then in my own time.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Red kryptonite beats green
Post 25 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Like most other people who have commented, I would for sure prefer a red, signature verified label.

But as one other person mentioned, you have a 9.8 grade. There is no guarantee that it will get a 9.8 when regraded. In fact, since your chances of getting a 9.9 are near zero, you really only have two possibilities. Stay the same grade or go down.

So in weighing your decision, you may want to consider how you would feel about a Red label, signature verified 9.6 vs a Green Label, qualified 9.8
Post 26 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarobert
Quote:

I’d buy a green label if they’re were enough sample sigs to compare against. They’re usually pretty cheap

As an alternative to looking at signatures yourself, Beckett Media offers a "quick opinion" signature service. Send them a picture or a link to the auction/listing (listing has to have pictures obviously) and for $10 a signature expert looks at it and sends an email saying it is/is not likely to pass a full authentication submission.

It's not a full authentication and you don't get a letter or certificate of authenticity. But it is an expert opinion and you get an email back saying likely to pass or not.

I've used it once now. It was super fast.

Link
https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I recently purchased a Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 "green" label signed and sketched by Neil Gaiman...is it better to leave as a green label or for long term vslue possible resale is it better to have red? I dont have it in hand yet but here's some screenshots

I got this right before everything went crazy with sandman...like 12 hours before

BTW I forgot to mention....I am a big Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean collector - and yes...that is an original signature....nice to have it on a 9.8 #1 Sandman too. very Hard to find.

Convert it to CBCS red for the small amount needed....you won't regret it.

FYI - I found a 6.0-7.5 copy at a Hastings in their comic bins for a buck before they went out of business and had started the clearance of their books.

Nice post.
Post 28 IP   flag post
UPDATE: Tbe book was delivered yesterday and in my posession for about an hour before I decided to take advantage of cbcs promo and drop it right back in the mail...
So here's hoping the 9.8 stays 9.8!
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
UPDATE: Tbe book was delivered yesterday and in my posession for about an hour before I decided to take advantage of cbcs promo and drop it right back in the mail...
So here's hoping the 9.8 stays 9.8!

good choice!! I hope you get your 9.8...but even if you don't you'll have a verified sig which is more important in my opinion. 🍻
Post 30 IP   flag post
600852 53 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?