Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like opinions from the forum on the show Comic Book Men. Ive heard of the show but have never watched it. Its now available on Tubi so I'm thinking of bingeing maybe.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I am not a fan personally. It totally comes off as a comic centric version of “Pawn Stars”. I have only watched a handful of episodes personally but I hated how the shop keepers constantly low balled everyone who came in. For any of us who have sold or traded books to make a purchase on another book you would know this is the bane of comic hobbyist everywhere. The comic vendor who will not even offer you 50% of fair market value and act like your from another planet for asking it, then turn around and try to sell it at 100% above fair market value. Not my thing, but others msy have more insight than me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector NightRelic private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with the Pawn Stars reference. It’s fun to see what people bring in, but the guys are jerks. I disagree with the pricing gripe. I don’t think it’s reasonable for a store to expect a store to offer more than about 25% for books unless they know they have a buyer looking for it.

I watched a few episodes, but lost interest.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed the first season, but it started to lose its shine after that. The first season felt authentic - it reminded me very much of my own days working in an lcs - but too quickly became obviously forced and staged.

It was easy to recognize archetypes in the cast I knew all too well. Walt, the iron-fisted alpha geek with tissue-thin skin. His obedient lackeys. Brian, the consummate ambitionless slacker wasting his days hanging around a comic store (though Brian does have some excellent one-liners).

The bookending bits with Kevin Smith are usually the best part.

Don't binge. Maybe watch a couple episodes here and there.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
First season was great. In fact, I love the show in general.

Yes, they occasionally lowball, but that’s kinda built into negotiation for a shop. Generally by the end of the day, they offered 50% of fmv. Well, fmv for the time when the show was airing. Prices have skyrocketed in the few years since the show aired. Prices today would be drastically different.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. When it came to them making offers, I actually was interested in that as well. I wanted to see how far they would lowball a person. There were a few customers that I thought got good deals, but that was usually because one of the guys wanted it for their own collection. But some of the comics and toys that came in were great to see!! I especially like the endings where they wrap it up with Kevin Smith. As far as the cast - I thought Walt was a jerk, Bryan was actually kind of cool, Mike was the know-it-all who was kind of boring, and I almost felt sorry for the way they treated Ming. But honestly, I know guys just like all four of them and I think that was where I connected with it. I, of course, related most with Bryan!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
It was ok.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
OK, cool, thanks guys!! I've watched a couple of episodes and so far it's pretty good.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I always enjoyed it, but I'm a big fan of the guys' podcast (Tell 'em, Steve-Dave) and had known them for years before the show. The show was hit-or-miss overall, but because I enjoyed the guys themselves, it didn't have to stand alone for me. I can totally see folks not liking it - It's not necessarily a great show about comic books or anything else, but I liked it more than Pawn Stars.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I watched maybe 2 episodes and that was all I could tolerate.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601333 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?