Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector gmellos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I won't buy off Harley after buying a book at a Brisbane convention many years ago and found it incomplete. Since then I know of a collector that bought a pricey timely book off him and that was missing a few pages.

Interesting. I have talked to Harley at the Motor City Con but have never actually bought from him as he never seems to have what I am looking for. I will definitely keep that in mind though. As for Mile High, I don’t recall any problems with their grading, but I agree that their prices are flat out nuts. They seem to price them at triple guide and then have half off sales. Even if you catch the sale you are still paying more than the book is reasonably worth.

Mile High has been riding off that pedigree they discovered.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmellos
Quote:
Quote:
I won't buy off Harley after buying a book at a Brisbane convention many years ago and found it incomplete. Since then I know of a collector that bought a pricey timely book off him and that was missing a few pages.

Interesting. I have talked to Harley at the Motor City Con but have never actually bought from him as he never seems to have what I am looking for. I will definitely keep that in mind though. As for Mile High, I don’t recall any problems with their grading, but I agree that their prices are flat out nuts. They seem to price them at triple guide and then have half off sales. Even if you catch the sale you are still paying more than the book is reasonably worth.

I think he prices all his books like they're from the Edgar Church collection.
Maybe he is ticked off that he didn't put the action 1 in his collection when he originally sold the church books
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think he prices all his books like they're from the Edgar Church collection.
Maybe he is ticked off that he didn't put the action 1 in his collection when he originally sold the church books

Haha! All I know is that I have NOT bought anything from them for over 15 years simply because they are insane when pricing their books.

IF they make money? Good on them but they ain't making money off me
Post 28 IP   flag post
Question to all of you, what's your take on Torpedo Comics?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its that second collection/warehouse find he made that has kept him in business riding the wave more or less.....
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm pleased with everything I've bought from Metropolis. I typically buy old mid-grade stuff and how the comic presents is more important than actual grade.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I typically buy old mid-grade stuff and how the comic presents is more important than actual grade.

Agreed!!!!
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I'm pleased with everything I've bought from Metropolis. I typically buy old mid-grade stuff and how the comic presents is more important than actual grade.

I agree Book Presentation is a big factor, Miswrapped covers are especial eye sores and I will not buy them regardless of the grade.

On the other hand, grade is most certain important especially when the pricing is based on it. Im cool with a half grade up or down, but 2 grades off, for any Long term Experienced Seller is unacceptable for me and warrants the books being returned.

Metropolis has one of the most extensive inventories in the hobby and I have gotten some beautiful books from them, but some dogs I had to return as well. The one thing with Metropolis is some of the verbiage they use in their high grade descriptions can be a bit misleading.

Ive always had good customer service with Metropolis

My Comic Shop also has a very extensive inventory and I have found them to be much tighter with grading. I would have to say they are my go to first choice. Ive never had to return any books and have always received prompt customer service

The one issue I have with MCS is that they do not always have pictures of the actual books. This is where the book presentation X51 spoke of really come into play. I will NOT purchase any book with a miswrapped cover regardless of the said grade. I have gotten a few miswraps from MCS (No photo of actual book), that I was not happy with. They were minimal books so I just ate them. I now try to avoid purchasing anything without a Actual photo to determine the books presentation qualities, but make no mistake the Grade is also VERY much a major part of the book's presentation quality, more so on the Higher grade books Im interested in than in the Mid Grade range.
Post 33 IP   flag post
598074 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?