Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Looks like cbcs missed one..9298

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I can see where a numbered system might help narrow down who is accountable. But there are drawbacks as well.

Hypothetically situation.
Say you are assiged designation 1. You always do excellent work. You have me, designation 2, I'm barely competent and lazy.

If I know you had the book, i can assume you do your due diligence and my butt can slack off and copy your grade.

If the graders are unknown, I have to try my hardest everytime because I cant copy off your work.

That's just one of many possible examples.

In this specific situation, the problem is not just 1 person. From my understanding its 3 graders and a finisher and quality control. That's 5 folks that had their paws on that book.

Knowing specifically who dropped the ball only partially addresses the issue. since it was a bunch of folks. You cant fire all those folks. My thoughts would be that it was a team screwup and it requires a group collaboration on how to never let that happen in the future.

Mind you, I've never been in management, but from my experience as a worker bee, the guy getting singled out is not always at fault...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Well if their grading management is anything like their billing and customer service...its inefficient and deflecting. Hence this post, and hence their lack of ownership of it.

Other than the two Steves and the forum moderators, I think CBCS is an inexperienced skeleton crew in all departments once Beckett stepped in.

I dont want to believe this, but the world is telling me otherwise.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Oh FFS, just when things were getting better too...I cant wait for how many jabroni on ebay are going to ask for the "CBCS discount" now...its going to be everyone
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
What would really be funny is if it is a piece of shit modern and CBCS graded it correctly the first time.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson that’s what I’m hoping. I know I got a Batman new 52 #1 signed and graded and I thought it was a higher mid grade like a 6.5 7 and it came back a 4 I was so upset till I saw it and I was like well yeah that makes sense.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
This book was looked at by three graders???

I concur. I had an opinion on another post that the graders should be assigned numbers so that if something like this happened you could track it back to graded it. NOT the name of the grader, but an accountability of who put their hands on it.

My idea was shot down there as it will be here, but maybe a few of you could see the value in it.

They likely do have a system that has the ability to trace the grading back to the individuals involved. They’ll identify those involved internally, likely critique and determine a root cause and do their best to insure it’ll not happen again. The concern would be “where else could this have occurred and for how long?” once they find the root cause...we may never know that answer. But some businesses (like in food, drug and automobiles where personal safety is a concern) will attempt to reach out and correct those that were wronged as well. Not jus fix it going forward.

Also, I doubt the graders are anonymous to each other within the grading process. I thought if they had a disagreement on grade they were to consult each other and agree to one grade for a book? Is that not true?
Post 31 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Found their process on their web page.

To make sure one grader does not influence another grader, any grade chosen remains hidden from all of the next graders. When the finalizer gets the book, the process is repeated, and compares the chosen grade to the other grades already assigned to the book. If the grades match, or are reasonably close, the book will receive a final grade. If the grades do not match, the book will be passed to another grader (or even other graders) until a consensus of the final grade has been selected.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Found their process on their web page.

To make sure one grader does not influence another grader, any grade chosen remains hidden from all of the next graders. When the finalizer gets the book, the process is repeated, and compares the chosen grade to the other grades already assigned to the book. If the grades match, or are reasonably close, the book will receive a final grade. If the grades do not match, the book will be passed to another grader (or even other graders) until a consensus of the final grade has been selected.

Ouch!! - all round failure??

Is this like north american made cars?? you know...like only a few days a year of good production?
Never buy a new model year or last year of old model, or one made before or after a weekend or long weekend or in a contract year for any supplier or before or after a state/national holiday or before or after winter/summer shutdown or around vacation months etc. etc. etc.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If the grades match, or are reasonably close, the book will receive a final grade.

This is weird...reasonably close? What does that mean? when one is a 9.6 and another is a 9.8 how do they chose between the two grades? There are no 9.7s!

Quote:
If the grades do not match, the book will be passed to another grader (or even other graders) until a consensus of the final grade has been selected.

And how do they do This? Keep passing the book around until they get two of the same grade? If books are close, I can see a third person being a tie breaker...but what If you get three different grades? I would think you’d stop right there, get the three together and tell them 2/3 have to agree on a single grade.

That’s what I thought they did which is why I thought they could eventually know who the other graders are...apparently not...
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
It would be hilarious ( in a bad way ) if this was because scans were shared to graders ( off site? ) and not the actual book .
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Just like others here who work for major corporations, I have as well,.. and more than one international corporation. And when there is a non-conformance/deviation you don't blame the individual, you blame the process.

While we all sit around and over-ANAL-ize how this grading error happened, we all know that CBCS and CGC are both guilty of faulty grading, faulty restoration check, and faulty shipping (IE: wrong address).

Now, is CBCS aware of the individual(s) who handled this book..? HELL YEAH they know! The grader(s) E-Signature is all over this book, or it should be if Beckett/CBCS is up to speed with current in-house ID technology.

I own just a handful of CGC books, but I purchased them already slabbed. Any books I personally sent in for grading went to CBCS because I trust their grading standards. But in this particular instance, CBCS f*cked up! I cannot believe that this book was handled by more than one grader before it arrived at QA and they did a quick "looks good to me" and then was sped to the encapsulation dept. In fact (at the moment), I REFUSE to believe more than one grader handled this book!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Just like others here who work for major corporations, I have as well,.. and more than one international corporation. And when there is a non-conformance/deviation you don't blame the individual, you blame the process.

While we all sit around and over-ANAL-ize how this grading error happened, we all know that CBCS and CGC are both guilty of faulty grading, faulty restoration check, and faulty shipping (IE: wrong address).

Now, is CBCS aware of the individual(s) who handled this book..? HELL YEAH they know! The grader(s) E-Signature is all over this book, or it should be if Beckett/CBCS is up to speed with current in-house ID technology.

I own just a handful of CGC books, but I purchased them already slabbed. Any books I personally sent in for grading went to CBCS because I trust their grading standards. But in this particular instance, CBCS f*cked up! I cannot believe that this book was handled by more than one grader before it arrived at QA and they did a quick "looks good to me" and then was sped to the encapsulation dept. In fact (at the moment), I REFUSE to believe more than one grader handled this book!

Interesting take Pre_Coder, bears consideration.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I'm actually leaning towards the "fake complaint" explanation. I find it exceedingly unlikely (at least, pre-Beckett) that CBCS would so cut corners that they no longer take books out of bags for a mid-grade. I mean, c'mon .. how does that even happen? It would be fundamentally at odds with the CBCS philosophy and founders' passion, which I do not doubt.

No, as unlikely as it is, to me this is MORE likely either a faked complaint, or - as others pointed out - the comic simply has flaws that warrant the low grade, even if the rest is just art.

Mild ineptitude is CBCS's brand, not outright fraud. Fraud of this nature would track better with CGC. (Who definitely HAVE been cutting corners with their pre-screen lately, and have been caught doing a lot worse in the not-so-distant past.)

Though it is odd that CBCS hasn't addressed the issue yet...
Post 38 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Though it is odd that CBCS hasn't addressed the issue yet...

I've seen a couple people say this. First off, the first I heard of it was last Thursday night, late. So, CBCS has had two business days, MAX to discuss it. Secondly, I know that Darryl (a CBCS employee) has publicly, and probably privately, tried to reach out to the original poster to resolve this. Thirdly, I seriously doubt that CBCS will say anything until they have had an opportunity to examine the book. Even if the OP mailed the slab back today, I doubt we will hear anything until next week. Plus, it is quite possible that we may never hear an official announcement as to what happened.

We all know that mistakes happen. If there is an issue with grading, I'm confident that it will be addressed internally. There is an old adage in management development - "Praise in public, admonish in private." That's actually a good policy for anyone, especially if you have kids.

As for BleedingCool, they are so biased that it isn't even funny. I couldn't find a single article about newton rings in CGC slabs. I found one article about the frankencase and that was when CGC went to the latest design and BleedingCool quoted CGC about "customer concerns". They also never mention the comic that CGC slabbed backwards. And we all know that wrong info on labels happens to both companies. Yet every chance BleedingCool gets, they bash CBCS. So when Rich Johnson writes that he would have wrote the article regardless if it had been CGC, I highly doubt his word!!!
Post 39 IP   flag post
It would be hard NOT to print a story like this if the other side did it also..

It's an hilarious mistake, much funnier than slabbing a book backwards.

And mistakes like this should be absolutely impossible with 3 graders scoring it .... Would like to think cbcs does ( can) offer a rational explanation as the best I can think of is they are grading off scans which can't be true, surely.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
This should help the CBCS brand. lol.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
I've had no problems with CBCS so far, but granted, I've only just sent in my second group of comics.

It's easy to make mistakes, especially when trying to increase turn around time (just MHO)

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, I'd react the same way if this happened to one of my books!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
Did they have a picture of the back of the graded book? I didn't see it on bleedingcool
Post 43 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk
I've had no problems with CBCS so far, but granted, I've only just sent in my second group of comics.

It's easy to make mistakes, especially when trying to increase turn around time (just MHO)

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, I'd react the same way if this happened to one of my books!

What's this mean? You doubt CBCS made a mistake?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
hope we will know the outcome
Post 45 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not even sure a public address is necessary outside of "we made an error and it's been addressed internally so this never happens again, thank you".

Assuming this is actually an error on CBCSs part. Ofcourse on the surface it certainly does appear that way.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'm not even sure a public address is necessary outside of "we made an error and it's been addressed internally so this never happens again, thank you".

Assuming this is actually an error on CBCSs part. Ofcourse on the surface it certainly does appear that way.

Well, let's be clear here ... it simply is not possible to "accidentally" grade a 9.6 or a 9.8 comic as a 5.5, no matter what the cover art looks like. If CBCS made a mistake, it was in thinking they could get away with intentionally grading a comic without taking it out of the bag. (Or pressuring their graders to do so, and not checking that they aren't.)

Keep in mind, each grader is supposed to also count the pages of every comic they grade, and check the inside for marks as well. And, in fact, each of the two graders AND the finalizer are supposed to grade the book outside of the bag. And they are supposed to do this independent of each other, so as not to influence each other. So, if this comic was never taken out of the bag, then all three of the graders would have had to decide for themselves to break procedure.

I suppose if that IS what happened, each grader was counting on the other two to give it a "true" grade?

Anyway, grading it without taking it out of the bag and holding it in your hands is not a "mistake." At least, not in the way we usually think of that word. It was - it had to be - a conscious decision.

So, if it really happened the way the original poster said, then it was a systemic problem at CBCS, with multiple graders deciding for themselves to cut corners. And that is why I still believe the more likely scenario is that the original poster is lying, or the comic's flaws are real. The odds are pretty low that three different people decided independently to "cheat" on this one comic. And further, I don't think CBCS would be so foolish as to tell or encourage their graders to cut corners like this, in such a way that it is a systemic problem.

Perhaps, though, there ARE multiple graders who routinely cut corners? It would be really hard to be found out, most of the time. Because it's too easy to get close to the right grade for the vast majority of comics, and too hard to challenge a wrong grade. Hell, I get very close all the time just looking at pictures on eBay, and make some pretty good money doing it. It's not that difficult.

Unfortunately, the more time passes without CBCS categorically and publicly denying that there is ANY way this could happen, the more likely it is that they, at least, believe it was possible. Jesse_O's point above is a good one ... they haven't had much time to address this. And we should keep that in mind. But their "wanting to be sure" it wasn't their fault before they publicly deny it kind of tells me they think it COULD be their fault. And even that is not good.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:

That's not what I mean at all. Mistakes happen, and CBCS should fix it. I would imagine, based on my limited experiences so far, that they would do just that if contacted. Seems kind of silly to post that story just for the sake of ragging on CBCS when it was most likely an oversight that can and would be rectified.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Could very well be a stain/water damage we cannot see. I know that can knock otherwise perfect books down to the 5.0-6.0 range.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised that no one has considered the option that this could be a data entry error (a typo). I BELIEVE that each grader's notes are in the computer. Maybe all three agreed it was 9.9 and when it was entered they hit the 5 twice instead of the 9. Then it just needs to get past QC (which we know happens). To me, that seems a more likely scenario than three graders messing up.

Edit - I also meant to say that I'm sure each graders notes on this book can be retrieved and reviewed. I'm sure they will be if they can.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:

That's not what I mean at all. Mistakes happen, and CBCS should fix it. I would imagine, based on my limited experiences so far, that they would do just that if contacted. Seems kind of silly to post that story just for the sake of ragging on CBCS when it was most likely an oversight that can and would be rectified.

Post a story ragging on cbcs? It this is true, it puts into question their actual grading process. This is just not a simple oversight. We may have a case were several graders did not do their job. Not one employee but according to the site 3. That is a complete breakdown in the system. I can understand missing restoration but to grade a modern comic and not actually examine the comic first doesn't look good for the company.

Hopefully, we get some clarity to this. Maybe there is a stain or something wrong with the interior. I would assume to get that grade there would have to be a major defect. Obviously, it will take them time to formulate a response. They will have to do some internal investigations. Too bad we don't have the actual owner of the comic on the board. He could provide much needed information.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I'm surprised that no one has considered the option that this could be a data entry error (a typo). I BELIEVE that each grader's notes are in the computer. Maybe all three agreed it was 9.9 and when it was entered they hit the 5 twice instead of the 9. Then it just needs to get past QC (which we know happens). To me, that seems a more likely scenario than three graders messing up.

Edit - I also meant to say that I'm sure each graders notes on this book can be retrieved and reviewed. I'm sure they will be if they can.

Didn't think of that, totally possible. But I do think the owner of the comic described the grader notes and they matched the "artwork".
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

I thought about this ( mistaking the grade )

But then there are graders notes describing all the 'flaws' ... those were coincidentally mistyped also ?

The cynic in me puts money on grading scans .. would explain the big reductions in reported turn around time recently.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There is this wonderful tool in the industry called "Root Cause Analysis".

Don't you think this "situation" is worthy of CBCS doing that and putting in the proper corrective action?

I dunno - I see this all the time where folks guess at potential causes and it's kinda scary. That's how nonsense begins and stuff gets blown up out of proportion
Post 54 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
That 5.5 grade could have been merited. Whether any company would ever admit it or not, Modern books are held to much higher standards than older books. So a Modern with a few spine ticks that break color and several bends (actual ones) could conceivably get a 5.5. Or, as someone has mentioned, it could have been an error when the final grade was typed in. But we will probably never know.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601285 116 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?