Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Price stickers vs grading ding9270

Collector Kenjisan1967 private msg quote post Address this user
A question for the veteran grading collectors. How big of a grading deduction does CBCS give for SA books that have price stickers on the cover.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector elee private msg quote post Address this user
You should speak to CBCS and see if they can remove the sticker.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee
You should speak to CBCS and see if they can remove the sticker.
I very much doubt they’d do that. While dry cleaning is included as part of their pressing service, I know CBCS will not remove tape, which I would say functions similarly to a sticker.

@Kenjisan1967 It depends on how they’d take it. If it’s judged along the same lines as a penciled or stamped arrival date then CBCS guidelines say it can get as high as a 9.6 but I think that consideration is unlikely.

If it’s considered more like tape, which I think is more likely, the guidelines say as high as a 7.5
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ah!! that sir is a bus stop sticker!

In the Overstreet Grading Guide - 1st Edition on page 123 there is an example with a bus stop sticker on Batman # 152.
it says as follows : "Price Sticker on cover, Grade before defect NM94. Grade with defect VF84 (note: This example is from the Nashville, TN "Bus Stop" collection)

I would say from that then a full point deduction would be the order of the day!!

So maybe highest grade in the 8's??
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks for the wisdom! While the outside cover would look better, the sticker's age has left a stain on the inside and trying to remove it would probably only show another discoloration.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
I have gone over the Overstreet grading guide and as KatKomics mentioned, the closest description to a sticker is tape, and the first mention that a minor unobtrusive tape is allowed is a VG 4.0. I am open to anyone else's interpretation. Nuff said.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
According to CBCS grading guidelines, a small amount of tape is allowable in the Fine (7.0 to 5.5) range. CGC does not give out a detailed grading guideline, but they have stated in the past that they do not follow Overstreet guidelines exactly.
FINE7.0 TO 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS Gradin Guidelines
FINE7.0 TO 5.5
7.0 FINE / VERY FINE

6.5 FINE+

6.0 FINE

5.5 FINE–

This comic is definitely a read copy with handling wear, but can still be a very desirable copy.

This could have one major defect like a larger piece out of the cover, a long tear or a detached centerfold.

It has stress lines on the spine and creases from the opening and closing of the cover.

This could have a light reading or subscription crease or a rolled spine, but is not damaged enough to reduce eye appeal dramatically.

Some cover discoloration, fading in colors and soiling is allowed.

The cover and/or inside pages could have some tears and/or folds.

With the absence of many other defects, the cover can be detached from one staple, but cover cannot be completely detached from interior.

Books with slightly brittle pages cannot grade higher than 6.5 and generally are even lower in grade.

Pages and inside covers could be brownish but not brittle.

Depending on the look of the comic, very small amounts of tape could be acceptable in this grade.

CBCS Grading Guidelines
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Send it in and find out! Then Report back. We need more examples like this. Take one for the team!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
CGC will give books with a price sticker the same grade as not having a sticker. BUT it will be the Green, qualified label.

CBCS does not have a qualified grade label. Jesse O is on point with CBCS's grading with a sticker. 7.0 is probably the highest you would get.

If anyone cares, PGX also does not have a qualified grade label. They deduct a bit for a sticker, but the potential grade can be substantially higher. I own a Witching Hour 1 PGX 9.2 with a 15c price sticker. It looks to me a 9.4 otherwise.

I've always felt this is a bit of a controversial area. MOST of the 15/20 cent stickers you see on 10-15 cent cover price books were placed there by the retailer. It was not a kid with some stickers. It was a common practice at places like Hospital gift shops, Bus stations and airports. Places that charged a premium above cover price. And worth noting is that none of the grading companies apply much of a penalty to the common used book store practice of writing a price in pencil on the back cover of comic books. So "$2.99" written in pencil on the back cover of a comic book by a used book store has no real effect on the grade until you get above 9.0, but a 15 cent sticker applied by the original retailer at a hospital gift store causes major issues.

So while it will sound to some like heresy, personally I think PGX grading of such books is the most reasonable, followed by CGC's use of a qualified label.

IMHO, the Green Label gets overused by CGC. But there are situations - like this -where a Qualified label makes sense.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@IronMan completely agree!!! never understood why a store stamp or "small, inconspicuous dates/initials" are allowed well into the 9's but a retailer appiled sticker gets treated differently!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
Just for info, some price stickers were also applied by publishers. Gilberton did this on some of their late GA Classics (primarily back issues Gilberton sold themselves). In the late Bronze age, underground publishers occasionally did this, too. In both instances, the stickers were used before the publishers reprinted the books with a new, higher printed price.

I personally think publisher-applied stickers should not be considered a defect - but hey, that's not up to me!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Sticker takes up more “area” of the cover and is more noticeable/obtrusive. That would be my rationale.

But grading is subjective, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..so if the stickers don’t bother you then you can get some great deals on books with price stickers!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Drogio It needs a pressing, but I'll set it aside in my "to be slabbed" and see what it brings.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I might have another submission in August and I remember having at lease 1 bus stop sticker issue (Justice League of America 14 I think??) - maybe I'll have to see what happens too??!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
600455 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?