Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Worth More Than The Sum Of Their Parts?9264

Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Are runs or complete series worth more or less or equal to their individual values?

For example, take the Crow (1989) 1, 2, 3 and 4. Slabbed at 9.0 with (hypothetical) individual values at $400, $250, $250 and $200 respectively. The combined value is $1100. If selling as a set can the seller command a premium for having a complete series? Or would the expectation from buyers be to reduce the price because they're buying multiple books?

Does the effort of completing a series result in a higher selling price? Or does that effort have no value from the buyer perspective?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's the same as with a collection. Selling individual books will typically net you more than selling everything for one lump sum.

You have a wider market for the individual issues as opposed to a complete set.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah...makes sense... as soon as I read your first sentence I thought "of course"!

The convenience to the buyer of completing a run or series in one transaction does not translate into a higher return for the seller.

Thank you!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
unless you find a buyer who specifically wants a complete set and to find it in one stop is willing to pay extra which does happen …..some of my best purchases were buying entire runs from a collection that a man was breaking up and selling.
Post 4 IP   flag post
So, depending on the buyer anything is possible but probably more often then not the seller would have to reduce the price.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I see sellers on eBay attempt to get significantly higher amounts for groups of books. Specifically speaking ASM 360-363 in slabs, as I happen track those.
I’ve yet to see any sales that equal more than the sum of parts.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
The biggest selling fact is the number of availability of that item, need and demand ie. a rare print run in a series will garnish more if something special happens in that issue that makes it a cornerstone but even more so if the majority is the the issues are below standard quality :example Zenescope’s Alice in Wonderland 250 alt cover all damaged on deliver on 68 saved only about 25 over 9.4 no 10.0 I know of to date , and lucked out and got a 9.6 and 9.8 prograde copies for 9.4 graded prices; demand and needs will govern price. Group price works the same way overall. In some case the trash issues will do the same after they have been trash for so long.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
Once in a while you might find a fan who wants a complete series of otherwise meaningless books. Maybe you could get 50 cents to a dollar per book instead of a quarter by putting the whole run together in that case. For anything of actual value I think the consensus is what others already said.
Post 8 IP   flag post
thank you to all who responded!

much appreciated!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's the same as with a collection. Selling individual books will typically net you more than selling everything for one lump sum.

You have a wider market for the individual issues as opposed to a complete set.

I think it depends more on the price points. If a bulk lot allows people to do one stop shopping and it's within their budget, they are more likely to pay more. If the price goes outside of their budget, they want a discount. It depends on what it is and where the total falls. People aren't going to overextend certain amounts and it differs per individual. I think I read a new statistic that 50% of the households in the US are negative. That means they owe more than they own. I'm not rich, but I don't owe anyone anything.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I remember back in the nineties finding a collection , original owner, with several complete runs. he was an avengers guy so think like this...avengers complete, TOS 40 up....JIM 99 up complete...cap 100 up complete.....iron man complete....etc. His terms were simple...take a run, grade it , half guide price of mint for the entire run. No breaks...either buy the run or nothing. I bought the TOS and JIM runs, but he had a deep collection. Same go around I bought his x men 94-248

To this day angry at myself for not trying to land the silver age x run , or his avengers low numbers but I was tapped by the time I bought what I did....
Post 11 IP   flag post
242797 11 11
destitute