Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure some of the folks here remember the Captain Action figure advertised in some silver age comics, you could dress him up as Superman, Batman, Captain America and various other pop culture characters. He was the Barbie doll for boys as it were. DC did a short run of comics based on the toy, written by Jim Shooter, who was 15 years old at the time, for the first two issues. The first issue was drawn by the great Wallace Wood and then by Gil Kane with Wood inking. The last three issues were credited with Kane scripting as well as drawing. I pulled these out today, it's the first time I've looked at them in many years. These were bought off the newsstand. Check it out and take a shot at grading them if you wish. I've ballparked them as 6.0 to 8.0 perhaps a bit better with pressing. I may send No. 1 to the new facility in Oakville in the near future.

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Never heard of him or the toy until now.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Maritimer - Thanks for that awesome trip down Memory Lane!

It’s tough going on one or two photos, but it looks like there may be some staining/soiling on the back cover of #1, so that would probably keep that book in the 6-range. The other issues look nicer, with some that could be in the 8.5-range, maybe even 9.0, IMO.
PS - The page quality for the book that you show the interior looks great! You did an amazing job of preserving these treasures.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
@esavaro - You are welcome! Some of these oddball titles are hard to find I'm sure. I don't know why I hung on to this set for so long, I'm guessing because no one was really interested in them. Maybe no one still is, lol!

The back cover on No.1 was a bit dirty and the front cover has a small crease here and there ... it is probably the worst of the lot. The fornt and back pages have a small amount of "faint" foxing, otherwise, yeah the interior is very nice. I think it is worthy of slabbing. They all are really.

Once again, thanks for the comment.
Post 5 IP   flag post
600702 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?