Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
From the latest CConnect auction. Looks like CVA has some competition in the certified certification service.

"QES Certified - Criteria met: Preferred staple placement + perfect right edge front cover"

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Is it just me or does everyone hate stickers... ANY stickers... that are added to slabs? ComicLink does it and so does ComicConnect and some dealers. I just hate that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
This is kind of silly, and yes I hate all the stickers too.

Staple placement and front edge angle? What the heck?

It's already graded, this is advertisement and hype plain and simple.

What's next? A foxing meter? The blunted corner force scale? Decay rate? They should definitely include a sticker showing the material half-lives of the book...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds more like atomic level grading. I'm not sure honestly if cover alignment, etc affects the grade of a comic??
Post 4 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
The only sticker that matters is the one that states The R. Cat Conrad Collection. No reason to hate those as they add another link to the collection's provenance.

Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is primarily (if not solely) for high value books. This is probably more for the specularor/investor collector. At a glance the buyer can tell if his target grade book is special or better than the other same grade books.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I've noticed they have zero web presence. I feel like anyone with eyeballs can do this but I will leave it to the pros.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
The Quite Extraneous Sticker?
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That is as stupid as hell.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
The only sticker that matters is the one that states The R. Cat Conrad Collection. No reason to hate those as they add another link to the collection's provenance.

Yeah true, and at least its clear.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:

Or another stroke to the ego?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Because so many buy the label, with little attention to what’s inside the slab, it’s a money maker to put more “advertisement” there in the form of stickers and point out the obvious qualities of the book that others are too lazy or inexperienced to take notice of.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like this QES is in response to CBCS’s Exceptionally White (pages) notation. Ironically, when CBCS announced the new Exceptionally White tag, someone on the post asked if proper staple alignment tags were next.... ask and you shall receive .. lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Its a pure Bull Shit marketing ploy to try and bait more money from gullible buyers.

Just the nerve of these jackasses to Self appoint themselves as having some kind of higher grading standards than the professional grading service that has already assessed the book.

Its an insult to collector's intelligence. Only a total moron would fall for this.

Unless the ugly proprietary sticker EASILY REMOVED without damaging the slab I won't even offer Market Price.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Or another stroke to the ego?

Sure, that could be the case, ...or it might just be a means of clarifying ownership of a collection since posted images of high grade books are often hijacked by grifters for phony eBay listings.

Alas, the difference between a stroke of luck or genius and accusations of ego stroking often comes down to who executes an idea and who is jealous of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
Looks like this QES is in response to CBCS’s Exceptionally White (pages) notation. Ironically, when CBCS announced the new Exceptionally White tag, someone on the post asked if proper staple alignment tags were next.... ask and you shall receive .. lol

FTR, I'm not in favor of exceptionally white (Oxy-clean?) notations on labels or best example (compared to what?) stickers. This is a slippery slope issue because it potentially weakens the validity of earlier grading. "New & improved" grading designations can poison the well by pressuring collectors into double or triple dipping to remain competitive in a tight marketplace.

Collectors have some justification for being unhappy with the introduction of unnecessary grade enhancement categories that amount to changing the rules of the game. Naturally this is just one collector's POV, others mileage will likely vary. No disrespect is intended to our host or any other collector's views.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Loquacious.
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Its a pure Bull Shit marketing ploy to try and bait more money from gullible buyers.

Just the nerve of these jackasses to Self appoint themselves as having some kind of higher grading standards than the professional grading service that has already assessed the book.

Its an insult to collector's intelligence. Only a total moron would fall for this.

Unless the ugly proprietary sticker EASILY REMOVED without damaging the slab I won't even offer Market Price.

Dont mince words....tell us how you really feel.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Loquacious.

Indubitably.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This thread sounds like what we all said when CVA hit the market.

Then record selling books started turning up with cva stickers on them...

It does seem to have a place for those that want 50, 100, 500k books and are unable to inspect them in hand.

Otherwise, yes, worthless.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

It probably is “EASILY REMOVED”, which is worrisome. No serial number means these stickers can be removed and placed onto any other slab.

Defeats the purpose.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I still say this could be the ultimate money grab.

Do a label that specifies that book is part of your collection.

IE. Part of the Bronte collection.

I'm sure there are vain folks that would have their entire collections renamed.... add personalized pix like stan Lee or avengers on the newer CGC books.

Bam. Reholder fee. Specialized pix, part of collection. Imagine the amount you can milk out of a rich person....
Post 21 IP   flag post
(courtesy of Comic Connect)

QES Certified - Criteria met: Preferred staple placement + deep color strike (red)

Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Is it just me or does everyone hate stickers... ANY stickers... that are added to slabs? ComicLink does it and so does ComicConnect and some dealers. I just hate that.

The Comic Connect stickers are fairly easy to remove. Their Metropolis stickers are a real pain in the ass.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Inside scoop!!! This is being unveiled at SDCC this year!! I heard it is going to be a division of Acme Corporation and headed by a W. E. Coyote.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Inside scoop!!! This is being unveiled at SDCC this year!! I heard it is going to be a division of Acme Corporation and headed by a W. E. Coyote.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to start my own secondary grading company to grade already-graded books that haven't been restored. I'll even produce a glittery little sticker to show the slab is a Designated Unrestored Premium Example of the comic in question.

All I need to do now is decide how much to charge for a D.U.P.E. certification.
Post 26 IP   flag post
597914 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?