Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Comic Collector, Desktop software vs

Comic Connect Web-based software

I'm kind of confused about the two and have a few questions. I thought this would be a faster way to get some answers rather than emailing CLZ.

1) Is it really necessary to have both?
2) The desktop version will still retrieve information when adding books. Right?
3) The desktop will just store everything on your computer and not the cloud. Is this correct?

I didn't really know why they did this other than a kind of money grab to pay for both??? I know some of you Brainiacs that use this software would know the answers here. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BigKahunaFSU private msg quote post Address this user
It has been many versions since I used CLZ, but it was nice when I did. I had just stopped collecting and didn't reinstall on my new computer when I picked it back up again. I've looked into getting it again, but just log my collection on comicbookrealm instead of updating.

To answer you questions the best I can just from me looking into it again:

1) Not from how I understand it. One or the other and they talk to (update) each other if you have both.
2) Correct
3) Correct

My thoughts are the same as for the money grab and they made the cloud version and the updates for the desktop version subscription based. You can maintain the last version of the desktop software as when you subscription ran out, but I didn't really care for that aspect.

Hope that helps some, and I'm sure others have more incite on the matter.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
1) it is not necessary to have both (or the three). Some people prefer to track their collection on the mobile phone app; they may not have regular access to a computer (or with the rise of phones and tablets, not even own one) and being able to make changes to the collection on the go is convenient.

The desktop app's main draw, for me at least, is that it has a ton of customizability in allowing you to create custom fields, filters, associate other books in collected editions, and small touches like adding/changing small icons for different uses. You can get access to a read-only version (like this) of your collection but you can only make changes from the desktop app, which may not be the most convenient if you're at a convention.

The web-based software has the convenience of being accessible anywhere you can access the web page, be it on a library computer, a stranger's phone, whatever, but I believe it is also the least customizable

2) All versions of the app will get book information from Collectorz' database. This database is contributed to by users and you can submit changes. I wouldn't get too bothered by ensuring all data in the Core is correct, I think it's best to think of it as a pool of information you can draw from and then making sure the information in your personal collection is as you like it (at least on the desktop version, other versions may be a little more limited or make it less convenient to organize as you'd like)

3) The desktop version will save a collection file on your computer. You can still save your collection on the cloud allowing you to access a read-only version of your collection online from any web browser. This feature is how the family of apps (desktop, mobile, and web-browser solution) remain synchronized; you upload and download your changes to/from the cloud. The cloud is also the mechanism that allows you to import a collection from other collection applications since it includes a tool to import an excel file, you can then download that information to either the desktop or the mobile app. Unfortunately, doing this doesn't associate the book data in your collection to the database data. These can be linked manually.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I have the mobile version and I love it. It's nice to go from my phone to my iPad so easy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Umm.....I have excel???

Once a year or so I make a backup on google docs.....
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I use microsoft access...Wonder if I could share the document? Downside is not having the writers/artists etc... in. don't have time/motivation to type all that in so I depend on comicbookdb.com for that info.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600783 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?