Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Can I get a grade opinion on this FF #49?9084

Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Picked it up today for a great price! Was wondering thoughts on general grade. Book length color breaking subscription crease is obviously biggest defect.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Aw....the dreaded subscription crease....

I’ll have to check...I believe I saw a graded one of these on eBay recently...I think it was in the 3.0-4.0 range...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
3. Subscription creases are brutal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunate because those are super vibrant colors too.
Post 4 IP   flag post
My hulk 181 has a subscription crease and it came back a 5.0, but that’s basically the only defect on that book.

This one has some spine ticks, 1 tiny missing piece out of the back cover and blunted corners.

I paid less then 1/3 of what GoCollect has a 3.0 going for, so I have no complaints.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@KCBatmanFan yeah. The colors are really nice. That subscription crease though... Few spine, color breaking bends etc.
I'd say 3.5 to 4.0 as is.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
The crease appears to run through the interior pages to the back cover. That is not a "subscription crease", but the result of the book having been folded, which was a common practice for kids at the time.

Other than it having been folded the book looks pretty decent, Especially for being a most black cover.

I think graders might have differing opinions on the fold. Barring any other unseen surface issues I have to concur 3 to 4 range at best.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
....That is not a "subscription crease"...

Really? How do you know it's not a subscription crease? How do you know it didn't start out as a subscription crease, then (just to humor your fold theory) maybe got folded after the initial subscription crease was present? Maybe the kid thought "well, it's got a subscription crease already, may as well fold it and put it in the back pocket."

If it was folded, then placed in the back pocket, the corners would be blunted or small corner bends on all corners either top or bottom.

If it wasn't put in the back pocket, then what other reason would "kids at that time" have for folding it?

It's a subscription crease.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I have a CGC 5.0 with a SC, but it doesn't seem as pronounced as yours. I'd say at least a 4.5- Maybe 5.0

Not the best image.

Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth

BigRedOne answers in bold for your questions Ganasoth.

Really? How do you know it's not a subscription crease? (I don't for sure. just a suspicion based on the limited photos that were posted. Were I buying the book I would certainly require more information from the OP. Specifically, Does he believe the book has been folded and does the crease extend through out the book? )

How do you know it didn't start out as a subscription crease, then (just to humor your fold theory) maybe got folded after the initial subscription crease was present? (I don't know. I do know there is a VERY distinctive difference between a SC and a fold effecting the interior pages through out the book regardless weather or not the fold started out as a SC. Thank you for that humor)

Maybe the kid thought "well, it's got a subscription crease already, may as well fold it and put it in the back pocket." Well, beings how "Subscription Crease" is a modern grading term that didn't even exist in the minds of kids buying and reading comics books at the time, I think it's safe to cross this one off the list. condition wasn't the foremost thing on their mind. You do realize they wasn't using mylar bags and acid free boards in 1966....right?

If it was folded, then placed in the back pocket, the corners would be blunted or small corner bends on all corners either top or bottom.
(I'll have to give you that one, but who ever said it was placed in a back pocket?)

If it wasn't put in the back pocket, then what other reason would "kids at that time" have for folding it? (Golly Gee Beaver... I don't know? Maybe he folded it and put it in his text book to hide from the teacher? other than that I can't think of another scenario of how or why a comic book could have been folded in the late sixties. Hmm?... Wait... how about this..... "Maybe the kid thought "well, it's got a subscription crease already, may as well fold it?"...... No, we already ruled that out earlier. I guess ya got me.

It's a subscription crease. OK, If you say so. but I would feel better the OP, who has the book in hand confirm that for me, just to be sure

The OP wanted thoughts on the book so I would need him to put any concerns I have about the book to rest by answering the question as to weather the crease runs through the entire book or If he believes the book might have been folded at some point. If he can confirm the book has not been folded and the crease does not extent through the book.... GREAT! Then you can more accurately evaluate the book base on the Subscription Crease

But based on the photos and stature of the book, I believe its a question any competent comic person would ask when trying to evaluated the book based on those three pictures.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Picked it up today for a great price! Was wondering thoughts on general grade. Book length color breaking subscription crease is obviously biggest defect.

The OP already stated it is a subscription crease.
Also, Haha, your leave it to Beaver reference was kinda funny, but your the one that originally stated "kids at that time..." I just went with it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I have a CGC 5.0 with a SC, but it doesn't seem as pronounced as yours. I'd say at least a 4.5- Maybe 5.0

Not the best image.

that is such an epic book !
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
my question is how much of that can be pressed out and flattened?I have a tales to astonish 93 that is otherwise a decent book, but much like this one, it has that fold......err subscription crease or whatever it is....for my book its heavily pronounced like this one is more like a fold than a crease....has anyone pressed one or seen how much can be done with it?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The crease goes all the way through the book, but only breaks color in the front.
Post 14 IP   flag post
597921 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?