Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

IH 181 lost/assumed stolen by buyer in Canada8882

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quebec has a GSP too.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan obviously I'm oblivious to the rules and regulations of shipping outside of the USA. I think I'll sit this one outšŸ˜
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
@Batman66
If the flag under your name is correct, you live in the USA. I'm speaking only of living in the USA and shipping to other countries. Canada specifically with my example.

Within the USA, you can get up to $50,000 of insurance coverage if you use USPS Registered mail.

As for how much insurance is available and how much it costs for our Canadian friends to ship to the USA, I have no idea. I don't believe though that most collectors living outside the USA understand that the US Government does not subsidize the United States Post Office. For Americans, shipping internationally is expensive.

@Wraith
@GAC
The problem and flip side is that GSP is the SOLE reason many to most USA eBay sellers agree to ship internationally. It was turning into a shark tank, far to many international sales resulted in "items not received" charge backs. The reason eBay instituted GSP is that a very large number of USA sellers were refusing to sell/ship outside the USA because of the risk.

eBay took on that risk. But with the result that it costs international customers more $$.
for most books GSP would cost me between 1 to 2x the price of the book I am looking to purchase .. I.e. for every book I could buy , GSP could buy another plus have enough cash left over for standard international postage ..

It's way over the top considering tracking with signature plus insurance is just a fraction of that amount
Post 28 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Furthermore, GSP items are initially shipped to Kentucky where they are opened to ā€œverify the contentsā€. Some packages are also repackaged.

This is a lot of extra handling that leaves a comic book susceptible to damage.

If a comic book does get delivered damaged, I doubt that the GSP would take responsibility. A diligent seller who packages their items securely could get blamed.

A web search will give you many stories of GSP packages that look as though they were delivered by Ace Ventura.

Wow, eBay's Global Shipping Program is just TERRIBLE
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I've never known Bob to be one to cut costs with shipping. It's like a minimum $20 for shipping every time I've bought from him to include insurance, granted that is all US domestic.

Isn't there a big mafia presence in French-speaking Canada? All those Italian-Frenchmen up there, I remember a pro wrestler getting killed back in the 90s, supposedly over not participating in a cigarette smuggling operation.

Dino Bravo was the WWF wrestler. Havenā€™t thought of that in years.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Oops, I just saw that GAC said that as well.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
@Batman66
If the flag under your name is correct, you live in the USA. I'm speaking only of living in the USA and shipping to other countries. Canada specifically with my example.

Within the USA, you can get up to $50,000 of insurance coverage if you use USPS Registered mail.

As for how much insurance is available and how much it costs for our Canadian friends to ship to the USA, I have no idea. I don't believe though that most collectors living outside the USA understand that the US Government does not subsidize the United States Post Office. For Americans, shipping internationally is expensive.

@Wraith
@GAC
The problem and flip side is that GSP is the SOLE reason many to most USA eBay sellers agree to ship internationally. It was turning into a shark tank, far to many international sales resulted in "items not received" charge backs. The reason eBay instituted GSP is that a very large number of USA sellers were refusing to sell/ship outside the USA because of the risk.

eBay took on that risk. But with the result that it costs international customers more $$.
for most books GSP would cost me between 1 to 2x the price of the book I am looking to purchase .. I.e. for every book I could buy , GSP could buy another plus have enough cash left over for standard international postage ..

It's way over the top considering tracking with signature plus insurance is just a fraction of that amount

It just depends on what you are buying. And if not purchasing on eBay, how you are paying. AND what country you are shipping to. The bottom line is what I said earlier. There are NO INEXPENSIVE choices for USA citizens to ship internationally.

THESE ARE THE OPTIONS a USA seller has shipping a single slab to Australia. I have use a 2 pound package 15x12x3 as the benchmark

First-Class Package International Service. $23.50. There is NO INSURANCE. NONE. By USPS regulations, whatever is being shipped cannot be worth more than $400. If you register the package, you can get a signature. That costs an extra $20.40. So the total cost - no insurance but with a signature - is $43.60

Priority Mail International. $55.35. Insurance coverage up to $3644 can be purchased. If you purchase insurance, you can get a return receipt (signature) $3500 worth of insurance would cost an extra $55. If you needed say $500 worth of insurance and wanted a signature (return receipt) that would come to $69.05

Priority Mail Express International $77.50. Insurance coverage up to $5000 can be purchased. Insurance rates same as Priority Mail international. The USPS website is not entirely clear, but it appears that a signature is automatic at no additional cost. So this service with $500 of insurance would cost $87.10. Insured for $5000 would add $79.35 to the cost. Total $156.85.

Global Express Guaranteed $168.50. Insurance coverage - up to $2499 can be purchased. It appears - though is not clear - that a signature is automatic and included. This service with $500 of insurance would cost $172.70

These are rates right off the USPS website. There is NO SUCH THING as "standard international shipping" if you live in the USA and are shipping to another country. The rates, the availability of signatures and the cost of insurance vary by country. AND ARE ALWAYS EXPENSIVE.

So tell me again that eBay's global shipping program is much more than this. THE ONLY REASON that GSP is often more is that nothing slips past customs in terms of paying import duties. IF you can convince a USA seller to ship First Class international with little in the way of declared value, chances are good you won't pay import duties. But for the customer in Australia to get that benefit, the USA seller assumes the risk of being scammed.

Thank you, but no.

I've bought and sold collectible comics since 1978 via mail order. Nearly all of my sales are via my catalog I do a few times a year. I have a good number of international customers - including Australia. For eBay, I use GSP. End of story. My catalog sales are different. If an international customer wants the least expensive shipping method - a service that doesn't have signature and or insurance - that is fine. They pay me via Money Order drawn on a US bank in US funds. Or they wire me the money. IF they want to pay with PayPal or credit card, the package is going to declared at full value, insured for full amount and require a signature. The costs you can see above. NOT CHEAP. But I make no $$ on shipping. I charge only what it costs.

Most of my international mail order customers never purchase one or two books. They order 50. That way the cost per book on shipping is much more tolerable.

I also have international customers that I have known for a long time. I am willing to let them have their eBay or comic store purchases shipped to me. I hold them until they have a decent size stack which I then ship to them. This reduces their cost per book - and it puts me at no risk. I only collect the shipping costs and maybe $10 for my boxing everything up. If they don't want to pay for insurance or a higher price service - up to them. Not my books.

The reality is what I'm saying. It's not reasonable to expect USA sellers to forgo the protection from scams that GSP provides. Yes, you are honest. Unfortunately, too many of your countrymen are not. PayPal and the credit card companies 99.9% of the time side with the buyer. It spoils it for everyone.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith let me know what you want if you like. I ship to Australia frequently and not via GSP
Post 33 IP   flag post
600782 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?