Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I watched last Supergirl show and it almost really looks like whats going on at the White House today.Are we all so different.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The show seeks to reflect issues occurring in real life every season.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Just like Law and Order...RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES! And then they put their little political twist in there. It's very tiresome and annoying.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
This show is very heavy handed politically.

They should do more stories like this one to lighten the mood a bit:

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I agree..bring on Zatanna!!! Love to find that book as a slab someday..tough to find in nicer grades
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I agree..bring on Zatanna!!! Love to find that book as a slab someday..tough to find in nicer grades

If they had her on Supergirl they should also have her appear on Legends of Tomorrow.

Also, I would have her upset for Constantine for some unknown reason. He knows what he did.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Can someone with more experience tell me...is this the original cover art for that book being offered? The title seems confusing if so....anyone know their art?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-SUPERGIRL-7-Cover-Acetate-Production-Art-8-25x11-75-FVF-7-0-Zatanna/362023102185?hash=item544a4226e9:g:dv4AAOSwSzRZSi8e
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Can someone with more experience tell me...is this the original cover art for that book being offered? The title seems confusing if so....anyone know their art?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-SUPERGIRL-7-Cover-Acetate-Production-Art-8-25x11-75-FVF-7-0-Zatanna/362023102185?hash=item544a4226e9:g:dv4AAOSwSzRZSi8e

I would proceed with caution.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The size itself suggests some kind of reprint or remake...
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
reproduction most certainly.

EDIT: more correctly I'd say this is not original hand drawn art.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Comic book acetates were used in the production of comic books. I'm not sure how. But I know there were four or five acetates per page. The black one was usually the line art. Then the other three or four pages were just "splotches" of color, each sheet having one color. When all four or five acetates were lined up, you ended up with the full color version of the comic page minus any white areas. This is for sale from Anthony's. He is very reputable. I'd bet is an original production acetate. Probably none of the artists that you will find listed for a comic touched an acetate. This was strictly a production thing. Some people collect them.

Edit - it may have been the colorist job to do the acetates. I am not positive.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/303636-quick-question-about-original-art-acetate/
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O and @GAC have done a good job explaining, but I'll add that what you're looking at is just one layer in the four-color printing process. It's nothing more than the original inked artwork photocopied onto clear plastic. Think of it kind of like a photographic negative (only kind of, but me explaining the entire four-color process would take a while and bore the hell out of everyone). It's neat, but certainly not original art of any kind.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

That's a pity. I don't watch it, but I recall taking part in a long thread arguing about an aspect of it a few months ago. I dislike any sort of entertainment that's doing its best to teach me a lesson. Whether I agree with the politics or not, they usually get in the way of good storytelling.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:

That's a pity. I don't watch it, but I recall taking part in a long thread arguing about an aspect of it a few months ago. I dislike any sort of entertainment that's doing its best to teach me a lesson. Whether I agree with the politics or not, they usually get in the way of good storytelling.

Hmm... I think the statement above doesn't hold up well to any serious examination. ALL of the great novels and plays had a moral lesson or three. Great Expectations, Of Mice and Men, Shakespeare's plays. Even Shelly's Frankenstein was a comment on the current popular concern of science without morality.

Comic books have long done the same. They serve as an imperfect mirror of the issues, beliefs and morals of the day. From the Germans and Japanese drawn to look like monsters during WW II to Green Lantern/Green Arrow's journey across America dealing with political corruption, racism and drugs to today's growing gender fluid characters, the writers and editors seek to incorporate the issues of the day with the stories they tell.

If a show strikes one as too preachy then don't watch it. I quit watching Supergirl not because of the occasional and (I thought anyway) subtle political stuff. But because of all the relationship drama. Felt (to me) more like Days of Our Lives soap opera than a super heroine show.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@IronMan You're misinterpreting. There's a vast gulf of difference between a story that teaches a lesson as a part of its narrative and a story that exists only as a skeleton upon which to hang a lesson. The first precedes from art, the second from a self-appointed pulpit. When a writer sets out with more intent to teach a lesson than tell a story, the result is as awkward and pointless as an architect who designs a house with more concern that it look edgy than that it function as a home. It's easy to see where the architect's priorities lay, just as it's easy to tell when a story is just a paper mask over a lecture.

Surely, the very best writers can do both and do them well, but three decades of earning my living as a writer have taught me a number of things - one of which is there are a lot more people who think they're good writers than people who actually are. And the really good ones are most likely not writing a superhero show for the CW.

As for the classics you reference - can't abide Dickens, love Steinbeck, love Shakespeare, have always thought Shelley's Frankenstein was more specifically a reflection of the social impact of the Industrial Revolution than simply a science/morality tale.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Guys thanks for all the information and help about that piece. May still buy it but knowing it isn't the original art will save me some me grief for sure if it weren't Zatanna I would run the other way
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:

I dislike any sort of entertainment that's doing its best to teach me a lesson.

Schoolhouse Rock wasn't so bad.

Post 18 IP   flag post
600701 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?