Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

For the board vets: Comic-Keys exposed Ewert878

Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Potential hot topic, and one many on "this" board many not know much about. This has been on my mind recently. I was talking with Bill Ponseti last week and we were going over the history of some criminals of the comic book hobby over the decades.

Eventually Danny came up and Bill brought up a very important, yet forgotten (or ignored) detail; Hammer/Comic-Keys/Danny D. was the one that exposed the entire Jason Ewert fiasco. I mean without so, who knows where all the fraud and facts may have ended up? CGC was doing their typical "deny, deny, deny" routine (sorry Steve) and many "others" either kept quiet or said nothing for varying reasons.

Just thought it was interesting to talk about with Bill, so I made a thread of it ...excelsior!!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector blazingbob private msg quote post Address this user
Really?

Danny exposed Ewert?

Since the book (Fantastic Four #3 CGC 8.5) that started the Ewert downfall was on my website (Started on a Sunday morning by a mystery poster on the forum boards) I'm wondering how exactly Bill knew it was Danny? Micro trimming was/is very difficult to spot unless you had a large scan and were able to look at the book up close with a jewelers loop. Since there were previous scans of the Fantastic four #3 from the Heritage auction it was determined that this book was micro-trimmed since you could tell the height difference of the bricks in the roof below the Human Torch's head.

Other examples of Jason's auctions were later captured on Ebay exhibiting the same type of micro trimming.

Nobody talked about it? I am not sure exactly where you are coming from with this statement.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Well, i'll respond by claiming that I believe it was indeed Danny to the extent that he was the first I can remember making detailed, exact, informed comments about it on the CGC boards. If you recall differently, explain?

Yes, certainly "others" noticed and suspect discussions began to take place among the big players/sellers, but where were they in the overall parameters of the hobby? How many of "us" knew anything about it? hence my statement that no one truly discussed it, at least not on a grand scale. I'll once again assume (my opinion) that economics were a driving force of the silence.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a link discussing the FF #3. There are probably other threads, but this is what I have. Same with the Danny Dupak links.

Ewert Exposed as Trimming Books: Redux

DANNY DUPCAK THREADS
CGC Forum Danny Dupcak thread

Danny Dupcak autograph scam link.

Additional info about Danny Dupcak
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector blazingbob private msg quote post Address this user
Danny wasn't posting on the CGC boards when this thread was started. Feel free to post the id he used since the person who started the thread on my book was an anonymous poster.

This thread (Ewert Exposed as Trimming Books: Redux) is not the original thread. It does clearly show my book. I clearly stated in the original thread who I purchased the book from.

I'm not sure what/where you are even coming from as far as conspiracy theories go.

As I stated when this first was posted on the CGC boards. NOBODY contacted me about this book. The thread was started on a weekend. All kinds of statements about the book were made with NO discussions with me. My response on a Sunday morning was who I bought it from, pull the book, check it out with a jewelers loop and confirm the micro-trimming. Anything else I had bought from Jason were pulled and checked. Eventually the book was returned to CGC. Eventually CGC banned Jason and hasn't been seen at a show in years.

Parameters of the hobby? "Not discussed on a grand scale?". This issue was addressed when enough proof was presented and CGC/Steve Borock took action. If you feel Steve didn't do enough by all means fire away.

Here are the scans of the FF #3. I still have them
http://www.highgradecomics.com/images/catalog/ff339053.jpg
http://www.highgradecomics.com/images/catalog/ff339053bc.jpg
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@blazingbob I think I found the original. LINK
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
@blazingbob I think I found the original. LINK

Nice job, Sigs Also, I believe "Abrams" was Danny? I however have zero proof of this statement/opinion. That thread was a CGC boards 'Hall of Famer', and was a real wake up call for many of us. For myriad reasons
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
That thread is a blast from the past. I remember going thru that thing trying to to understand what micro trimming was. Too bad the thread is more a shell of what it was. Most of the images are gone from Photobucket cleanups and such.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
That thread is a blast from the past. I remember going thru that thing trying to to understand what micro trimming was. Too bad the thread is more a shell of what it was. Most of the images are gone from Photobucket cleanups and such.

You are so correct, JW. I have been re-reading and re-page jumping, looking for all the images, and they are not present I had forgotten how many were removed. Disgusting!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@blazingbob well CGC declared that they had managed to work in micro-trimming detection. This was then proven not so true by Paul Claremont.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
@blazingbob well CGC declared that they had managed to work in micro-trimming detection. This was then proven not so true by Paul Claremont.

Ox, correct. My old comic board compatriot
Post 11 IP   flag post
From what I recall I do believe Danny was Abrams. He had so many user IDs over the years. He was, not surprisingly, good at exposing fellow hucksters.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Brubaker private msg quote post Address this user
Danny Boy was an active poster on Stlcomics.com at the time. I remember him exposing Ewert in detail on the boards. It was an amazing thing to watch unfold. I almost OD'd on popcorn. Erik G. (Iron Maniac) may have access to the threads. Erik also interviewed Steve Borock and the idiot at CGX (PGX) around this same time period.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Brubaker yeah I remember that. It was an interesting time over at STL. It was very sad when Patterson helped kill IM's and James' interest in comics at that time.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600641 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?