Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

How much does this sellotape kill this Blackhawk 20.... Golden Age (1945)8650

Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately Sellotape around all corners back and front

Interested to see how much all the sellotape as well as general condition hammers this grade

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Virgincollector private msg quote post Address this user
Hammers pretty bad in my opinion! If I’m not mistaken they take away 0.1 points on grading for each imperfection. And there seems to be a lot .
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’d have it restored first. But that’s just me
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately you are probably looking at a 1.8 grade at best there. The problem with tape is that it causes whatever paper it’s attached to to deteriorate much faster, as you can plainly see in these photos. It will only get worse over time. That is why many collectors, myself included, try to avoid anything with any kind of tape on it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks for all your replies guys

I was perhaps hoping for a tad better news as I have issues 20/28 & 30 but all
with the same amount of sellotape and condition
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Correct me if I am wrong here but; is that not a UK reprint (of at least partial non-Blackhawk stories) with an original Blackhawk front cover. Cover reprints Blackhawk #121.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I think the 1.8 estimate is probably accurate. It would be my choice. A range of 1.5 - 2.0 covers all the likely grades.

FYI.... It is not correct to say that the grading companies deduct .1 from the grade for each defect. That actually is not how grading works. A two inch color breaking crease is a greater defect than an a one inch. And a lesser defect than a book length crease. So to with tears. Or tape. If you think about it, lower grade books with lots of small defects could literally go into negative numbers using this approach.

Closer to how grading works is "what is the best grade you could get with xxx defect?" So if you have a book with a four inch color breaking crease at the bottom right corner FC, a few dings or bends along the spine don't actually affect the grade at all. Because that crease - all by itself - pushes you down to a FM grade (5.0-6.0) being the absolute best.

So with the book pictured --- it is hard to imagine a better than 2.0 grade. No matter HOW NICE the book is otherwise. Because all that tape and stained paper - all by itself - prevents it from grading higher
Post 7 IP   flag post
@IronMan An excellent and succinct way of looking at this question.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I have a book a lot like that, and the cover is completely split. Removed the tape and got a 1.5
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ironman should work for CBCs 😜🤪
Post 10 IP   flag post
@RRO Yes you are correct......I just looked and Printed by Jenson Book Company Ltd, Oadby, Leicester

@IronMan ...great info cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I have a book a lot like that, and the cover is completely split. Removed the tape and got a 1.5

@shrewbeer When you removed the tape did this not lift some of the print or colour ?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
@RRO Yes you are correct......I just looked and Printed by Jenson Book Company Ltd, Oadby, Leicester

@IronMan ...great info cheers

Quote:

@shrewbeer When you removed the tape did this not lift some of the print or colour ?

If that is the old generic "sellotape" then eventually the adhesive will dry up and it will become loose and fall off. I have heard that both freezing and/or heating (indirect) will hasten this process, I have had no success in this exercise however, perhaps some of the more adept practitioners here can shed more light on this practice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

It did not. However I can’t tell you how bc forum rules against talking about pressing techniques :/
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

It did not. However I can’t tell you how bc forum rules against talking about pressing techniques :/

HOWEVER ... this is about the accursed remove of partial or minutely attached sellotape not pressing/cleaning.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@RRO grey area. “Pressing” is a term that encapsulates many techniques.

Freezing and peeling, heat gun, or Pure Naphtha (watch out for products with additives) IF you practice on crap junk books first.

To the mods, sorry if that crosses a line in the rules, plz delete if so.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@RRO grey area. “Pressing” is a term that encapsulates many techniques.

Freezing and peeling, heat gun, or Pure Naphtha (watch out for products with additives) IF you practice on crap junk books first.

To the mods, sorry if that crosses a line in the rules, plz delete if so.

We seem to have many areas of grey in our hobby's landscape.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600914 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?