Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

A good haul from the 2019 Great Lakes Comic Con8485

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Last year my brother won the grand prize raffle; not so lucky this time but I still got some great finds.
For most who aren’t familiar, this a smaller show that packs a punch; it’s my favorite for scouring the countless $0.50-$5 bins.
The SS3 was the only wall book I had to have. The GLCC variant cover for G.I. Joe was a steep $30 but it supports my favorite Con so it’s worth it.
Everything else was pulled from the aforementioned bins.
The biggest scores were the NA27 and tec660 for $0.50ea. Why is tec660 such a find? Well that’s because I didn’t know it was a find until I got home to find it’s got 2 covers. It’s my first ever double cover book, yay me!
I also picked up some run fillers for Spider-Man, a handful of local books and other books.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
Nice haul! Really digging that SS 3!
Don’t tell me you got that for 50c!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Ghostridercomics76 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice pick ups i have a small conn like that every other month
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Micronauts # 1 has been good to me. I sold a 9.8 and a 9.6 in the last few months.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantheman
Nice haul! Really digging that SS 3!
Don’t tell me you got that for 50c!

Nope the SS 3 was $130. I was more-so looking for a G/VG SS 4 but seriously couldn’t find any. I want both eventually so this one gets checked off at least.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
...a handful of local books and other books.

Small press comics?? If so, I'd be interested in seeing what you found.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
Nope the SS 3 was $130. I was more-so looking for a G/VG SS 4 but seriously couldn’t find any. I want both eventually so this one gets checked off at least.

I am looking for SS 3 & 4 as well!
Congrats!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh I was there on Friday. How about you?

Here are my finds that I was really happy to add to the collection. I had a nice discussion with Al Milgrom that I got a Fanzine from. Bob Layton said to me"Aren't you cold"? I was wearing just a short sleeve shirt. I said no it is always warm at these. He said "I am from California and I am freezing" He was on an outside wall that was drafty. He had some nice art of his there. I just could not afford it though. He seems like a cool guy. His Iron Man work is great.
Here is what I picked up. Haunted High Ons I got signed by writer Dirk Manning. I always get one of his books when I see him at shows. He is personable and a good writer.

Post 8 IP   flag post

This is a Fanzine that I picked up from Al Milgrom who signed the cover. Interior art by Al Milgrom, Jim Starlin, & Mike Vosburg from 1972. Interior page penciled by Starlin and inked by Milgrom. I am really happy to get this piece.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Here are some Joe Kubert Tor magazines and some more SS of Conan to fill into my run. These were all in really nice condition.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Here is the last item I purchased at the show. This is a Moon Knight portfolio done in 1981 by Bill Sienkiewicz. There are 4 prints and Print 1 is signed and numbered 590/1500 by Bill. It just needs a little dry cleaning in spots.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Any one else attend?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I was there Friday and Saturday. Friday I had a waxed up mustache and wore a black backpack and red t shirt that said “this is my handstand shirt” on it written upside down.

I got a couple books signed by Angel Medina. He is a pretty cool guy.
I had Carnage and Man Without Fear books for Kyle Hotz to sign but he cancelled. I had planned to get some witnesses and submitted to CBCS.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Here is the last item I purchased at the show. This is a Moon Knight portfolio done in 1981 by Bill Sienkiewicz. There are 4 prints and Print 1 is signed and numbered 590/1500 by Bill. It just needs a little dry cleaning in spots.

This awesome man. I wish I had this.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Joosh I was impressed with how busy they were Friday. I cannot say that I recognized your mustache and shirt. We will have to meet up sometime. I do plan on attending the Novi Motor City show on Friday in May. I like the art and signature opportunities at that show.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@bige31 Thanks, it was my favorite item I picked up there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I was there Friday and Saturday. Friday I had a waxed up mustache and wore a black backpack and red t shirt that said “this is my handstand shirt” on it written upside down.

I got a couple books signed by Angel Medina. He is a pretty cool guy.
I had Carnage and Man Without Fear books for Kyle Hotz to sign but he cancelled. I had planned to get some witnesses and submitted to CBCS.

I admit, I'm a sucker for small press indie comics!!! I hope you like them!!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Your Master of Kung Fu 17 key was a nice pick up. One I'm looking for myself in high grade. good job. Nuff said....
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Jessie_O this was the first time I felt compelled to pick up the small press books. It’s cool to buy the books directly from the creator(s) and thus far these are good reads. There were actually many more there, a few posted above.
Post 19 IP   flag post
600782 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?