Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Umm.... special Marvel Labels for an additional $5?
Well - we had Stan Lee labels; so this seems..... ummm.... equally appropriate for a grading company.

I laugh now. But I'm sure there will be a premium on nonsense. There often is in this industry
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Like it isn't expensive enough. How much extra would it cost for them to print these? 10 cents?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
They probably have to pay Marvel some kind of licensing, but I'd imagine that's probably pretty negligible.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Cash grab and nothing more.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
For those wondering, here’s the press release
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
EC labels would look kinda cool
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure there will be more than a few people with money to burn who will replace their current slabs for these
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if they will have the pre-screen option for Marvel labels. So you can get the label on 9.8s, if you want.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
If you need a LABEL to tell you which company printed your comic book well I think that's pretty sad.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If this is a success expect a tsunami of novelty/vanity labels.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
...people spend an unreal amount of money in this industry on "variant covers" and somehow this is panned as just a money grab? Everything about any comic published after...1985? was just a gimmick for money grab.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Just think. If you could do a custom label of your choosing.
Say for example,
"part of Brontes collection"

Submitting your entire collection for a vanity label.....

Now that would be a cash grab
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Big whoop.

How about a transparent label with the information printed on one side, the front side, in black ink so that the comic book is center stage and not the label?

I mean comic books. That is why we are all here, isn't it?

Just a thought.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Ahem, the tide is up to our waists, my friend

Post 14 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Holy cow man!! I knew of the Stan Lee one but the others are new to me. Wow...up to our waist indeed.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Can I grade the DC book that Marvel copied the character from and have that Marvel character on the label??

i.e. like a Captain Canuck comic (i know, I know, not DC) graded with a Vindicator Marvel label???
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics only if it’s a variant.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

there were walking dead ones too

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is no longer allowed to use the Stan Lee label postmortem. There is also a Lucille label in the Skybound/Walking Dead lineup, but those are limited to con submissions (I believe).

For those that remember, there was an earlier CBCS thread with different label ideas for future CBCS labels. If I recall, one of the labels was a “Marvel”-specific label. For $5, this is not the worst value-added idea. For the Walking Dead, there appeared to be a commensurate value added (or more) when selling the Skybound label slabs versus general slabs. I think they do add a little something to an otherwise blan label. If the $5 price goes higher, which will likely happen one day, you will likely run into diminishing returns.

@DavidM Yes, for CGC, if you pre-screen, you will not pay the $5 fee. I typically pre-screen modern books and do purchase the Skybound labels. No, you do not pay if the book fails to meet the pre-screen.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the labels are a fantastic idea from CGC. They are a business. Their entire purpose to to make money, and they are succeeding.

People on this forum can complain and slander them all they want, but we are still sending our money to a company that promises to get our books back to us in 20-40 business months. Seems ridiculous to trash another company for offering collectors label options for their books at a premium cost. No different from going to a car wash and paying an extra $2 for hot lava wax.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have never seen the ninja turtle label before
Post 21 IP   flag post
Yep - it's about the label. Because that is what is important when we get our comics graded. I love this. I really do. It's such a beautiful thing.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Don't doubt there will be people who chase 9.8s in these labels when they are no longer available as will have their own unique rarity on top of the rarity of the encased book..

Doesn't interest me at all..
Post 23 IP   flag post
That's the beauty of this hobby in 2019. One can profit by appealing to the next new "all show; no substance" thing. An extra $5; in order to sell for a premium is a wonderful thing regardless if it's pile with a rose on top.
Kinda like selling a car for $500 more because it looks nice with a $20 car wax
Post 24 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson has it right. The labels needn’t be center stage.

AFA toy grading has the right idea, the labels are neatly tucked away.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
Have any of you framed comics? When you bring contrast and color to the framing, you accent the comic (or painting/picture). Yellow helps a signature series label pop. I have seen some colored stands that match the comic to add flavor when displaying the comic. If you love the artistic work (in addition to the content), why wouldn’t you enjoy adding something to accent the beauty of the comic and artwork?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Looking into adding the avengers label to my Avengers 684. Apparently when you add the special label it not just costs you $5, but it puts it into another tier such that it automatically charges $12 shipping. So it’s really costing $17 for the first label.

And if Choose different labels for different comics (like avengers for one, iron man for another) the two character labels are also separate tiers....another $12 shipping!

And oddly enough when i add fast pass for some and not for others in the same order form, it doesn’t put them into separate tiers for shipping...the shipping cost is the same as if they were all fast pass or none. Very odd as I’d think breaking up a fast pass and non-fast pass would force he orders to ship separately.

Going to call them tomorrow. See whats what and make some sense of it.

Anyone else run into this?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
I think the labels are a fantastic idea from CGC. They are a business. Their entire purpose to to make money, and they are succeeding.

People on this forum can complain and slander them all they want, but we are still sending our money to a company that promises to get our books back to us in 20-40 business months. Seems ridiculous to trash another company for offering collectors label options for their books at a premium cost. No different from going to a car wash and paying an extra $2 for hot lava wax.
I think it would be libel in a written form, not slander.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I think it would be libel in a written form, not slander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XscaGDxuQqE
Post 29 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Looking into adding the avengers label to my Avengers 684. Apparently when you add the special label it not just costs you $5, but it puts it into another tier such that it automatically charges $12 shipping. So it’s really costing $17 for the first label.

And if Choose different labels for different comics (like avengers for one, iron man for another) the two character labels are also separate tiers....another $12 shipping!

And oddly enough when i add fast pass for some and not for others in the same order form, it doesn’t put them into separate tiers for shipping...the shipping cost is the same as if they were all fast pass or none. Very odd as I’d think breaking up a fast pass and non-fast pass would force he orders to ship separately.

Going to call them tomorrow. See whats what and make some sense of it.

Anyone else run into this?

I did five comics when they first came out: four Spider-man label and one Avengers label. I knew going in that they are a separate tier, but I didn't have your experience, with TWO separate tiers. That said, I haven't got them back yet, or seen the final price. But on my forms they are listed together as one submission of five comics. (I sent them in with ~50 others for a pre-screen, but didn't do pre-screen on the special labels. So my one submission now shows up on my dashboard as three submissions: 5, 25, and 23.)
Post 30 IP   flag post
601244 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?