CBCS completes me.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
CBCS completes me.

I don’t even wish to ask what that means lol
Post 52 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
CBCS completes me.

I don’t even wish to ask what that means lol

Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelowe
Don't forget helpful customer service in Dallas, *Expert pressing, great forum moderators, and everyone's favorite, FREE grader's notes. Your list would be mine too!

*Expert pressing in Florida

Post 54 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Any books I have no intention of selling (99.9999% of them), I go with CBCS. The people are much nicer and you can actually talk to them. And the Pres of CBCS was the Pres of CGC. And Mark Roman ( COME BACKKKK).
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Any books I have no intention of selling (99.9999% of them), I go with CBCS. The people are much nicer and you can actually talk to them. And the Pres of CBCS was the Pres of CGC. And Mark Roman ( COME BACKKKK).

Post 56 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Why CBCS? This is why: One is a 9.4 in a 9.6 holder with Newton rings. The other is a 9.8 in a 9.6 holder.

Post 57 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy

I like CBCS because of their AW program. The majority of my books are CBCS Yellow label books. And they had Mark Roman.

@kaptainmyke I hope this is a little bit better. lol.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelowe
Don't forget helpful customer service in Dallas, *Expert pressing, great forum moderators, and everyone's favorite, FREE grader's notes. Your list would be mine too!

*Expert pressing in Florida

lol I love it.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Because comics that have bites out of the cover don't get this high of a grade (bottom left back cover). I hope the 9.4 I bought recently looks nothing like this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401698280844
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Because comics that have bites out of the cover don't get this high of a grade (bottom left back cover). I hope the 9.4 I bought recently looks nothing like this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401698280844

Grader's notes available. $5.00 might be worth it if you're dropping that kind of cash. Looks like something there. https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1288854002&grader-notes=yes
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Stillirize85 private msg quote post Address this user
I find cgc slabs are better look better, their grades bring in more money. I will say this. This board is 100000000X better. Over there its a shit show. Everyone thinks they are better than everyone else. They snitch, are arogant and just plain assholes!
Post 62 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillirize85
I find cgc slabs are better look better, their grades bring in more money. I will say this. This board is 100000000X better. Over there its a shit show. Everyone thinks they are better than everyone else. They snitch, are arogant and just plain assholes!

I agree, this board, is fantastic...the boardies on here are great as well as the Mods. A great place to interact with fellow collectors of varying experience and knowledge but all have great passion for the hobby. A great avenue to speak with reps of CBCS who help every way they can.

I'm partial to CBCS slabs from a cosmetic perspective and I truly feel their grading is superior to the guys across the street. There is a higher rate of return on their slabs but I don't think its by a very large margin (although I know that's subjective). I'm not convinced the higher rate of return is permanent either. I like what CBCS offers. In my opinion, their product superior in every way except for turn around times.

Glad to have you aboard and welcome! I hope you stick around and join in the discussions!
Post 63 IP   flag post
I just purchased some CGC slabs from people on ebay...when I got them I was like "this can't be right". checked graders notes and I got what they graded. 8.5 my butt. I also, personally, own a CGC they graded incorrectly. One of my first submission (had no idea how sigs worked) was Kingdom Come #1 signed by Mark Waid. it was unwitnessed. I know now that should have been a Green label, but it makes no mention of the sig (Inside from cover). How do you miss that?

Might resubmit to CBCS for verified sig at one point, but I was just slabbing for sentimental reasons...don't want to pay twice.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There are few things in the online world quite so exhausting as a neverending alpha-geek pissing contest.
Post 65 IP   flag post
A comic in a case, in a frame, on a wall doesn't increase my street cred? holy crap; my whole life is a lie!
Post 66 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't venture over there often, but when I do, it's a shit show. Lord help you if you're new to the boards and ask a question. You get some real winners coming out of the woodwork to tell you do to do your own research. I find their slabs unnecessarily heavy. I've also never had a problem selling a CBCS slab for the same going rate as a CGC slab at the same grade. I feel like people are lowballing themselves if they keep selling for cheap just because it isn't CGC.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I like the vsp. I just wish they would change the ugly red color.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
CBCS has Signature Verification.

And from experience CBCS has:
No Newton rings.
No scratched up inner wells.
No loose books in case.
Less bulky case
Better book fitment in case
Preferable label design.
More consistent grading
Lacking superiority complex as a whole
Less expensive overall
No required paid membership to submit books
Helpful people at the Convention booths.
Generally kinder forum.

That’s what comes to mind right now.

Pretty much this, but I think the CBCS label itself lacks a bit on the design front. I'm not suggesting anything like the Stan Lee ones or the upcoming Marvel ones; and there can be a certain elegance in simplicity, but I think the current labels are a bit too plain. All of my customer service interactions have been nothing but excellent from witnesses to office calls and email, I've enjoyed talking with their staff at cons as well as with many of you here on this forum.

Plus I *really* hate those Newton rings.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
The simplest response to the ultimate question posed in this thread is the best: Why not?

So, what does CGC have to offer that CBCS doesn't?

Well, CGC has random Newton Rings, but devised a fix ...well, sorta... to reduce unpredictable prism effects: ...under-surface scuffing changes splotchy mylar and polycarbonate contact to something altogether different.

CGC labels have an oversized bleach-white grade box with jet-black numbers that Mr. Magoo could see across a dealer's room, thus eliminating the need to look at books before buying grades.

When pressed for time, CGC has been known to rush out what they'd probably describe as aesthetically uncluttered labels, omitting key artists, writers and other sundry content info. Pure genius!

So, getting back to my earlier rationale for choosing CBCS over CGC: Why not?
Post 70 IP   flag post
601329 70 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?