Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm curious about this one just from a personal standpoint.

Why are you guys fans of CBCS? What makes you like them so much?

I really do like these guys, and have my reasons which I'll share in a later post, but I'm curious what makes you guys dig CBCS like you do. Always interesting to see why people like a company.

** Not knowing why you like them is perfectly reasonable. I love Oakley, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I like them because my schedule requires me to be within half a mile of their offices in Dallas at least once a week, so I can drop off and pick up books without entrusting them to the mail service or paying significant shipping fees.

I like this forum because it's mostly a decent community of serious fans.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
there cheaper then cgc, lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
When I started thinking about getting some of my comics slabbed I thought I would use CBCS because I like their holder better. I still have yet to submit the 3 or 4 comics I want to encapsulate because of all the negative things I have been hearing about turnaround times. Probably I will take the plunge if/ when they come to the Motor City Con this year. When I decided to join one of the forums I chose CBCS because I figured that is the service I would be using. I have been a CGC member for much longer, mainly to access the census, but I have never used their forum. As someone who doesn’t do any other kind of social media, I figured I should pick one or the other. Only so many hours in the day and all that, but I did have an itch to talk comics with like minded folk. Definitely no regrets there, as I immensely enjoy hanging out with all you guys in cyberspace.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I thought at first was cheaper so i could get my comics graded but now i see thats not so true.The covers are better,safer and sell better plus it was easier to get my comics signed easier.Not so sure now.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
It falls in the same class as why, Chevy, Ford, Dodge or what have you. It has a lot to do with personal preference. I’m patient so the TAT’s Are not that important unless I want to flip something. Or I have a oversized or Magazine sized book. I also really like their VSP service. They have been improving on their TAT time.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. LOL
🖖🖖
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Something as simple as signing up for the service. When I first thought of slabbing a few comic books I did the research and tried CGC. Maybe the problem was on my end but it seemed far more complicated than it should have been. So I went with CBCS. Also I believe competition between the two will evolve a better product. Finally I've read somethings (Newton rings) that I'm happy to avoid with CGC. I haven't used the service very much in my first two years, but hopefully that will change in the upcoming months. Also I really enjoy the Forum!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I like the CBCS holder and look better than CGC. I'll buy either, with no thought to which it is, but the CGC looks...cartoonish and I'll take a CBCS for a little higher price. However, in terms of the submission process, turn-around, presence at cons, and access to the census; CGC has been a better experience. My first CBCS submission has been a complete fiasco via which I still cannot access my submission information. I have to contact them directly every time. Especially the census; to have an idea if grading is really worth it. Batman Damned 10.0 would make me so excited...until you see on the census that there have been 230 graded 10, 582 graded 9.9 and 899 graded 9.8. If you're not 100% sure it's coming back a 9.9 or higher, why bother? Also, I collect coins and CGC is linked with NGC.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
You can submit directly to them.
Their VSP and Pressing programs.
Their grading is more consistent and accurate.
Better looking slabs and labels.
They are the most customer focused company compared to the competition.

Also, the guys across the street are anti-competitive in my opinion.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Let's not get political.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
They are great to talk with at cons. They will give you recommendations too if I have questions. Never got that attention at the other company. Just process you through.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
I like the CBCS holder and look better than CGC. I'll buy either, with no thought to which it is, but the CGC looks...cartoonish and I'll take a CBCS for a little higher price. However, in terms of the submission process, turn-around, presence at cons, and access to the census; CGC has been a better experience. My first CBCS submission has been a complete fiasco via which I still cannot access my submission information. I have to contact them directly every time. Especially the census; to have an idea if grading is really worth it. Batman Damned 10.0 would make me so excited...until you see on the census that there have been 230 graded 10, 582 graded 9.9 and 899 graded 9.8. If you're not 100% sure it's coming back a 9.9 or higher, why bother? Also, I collect coins and CGC is linked with NGC.

CBCS has census??? #SOOONNNNNEEEEE
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

CBCS has census??? #SOOONNNNNEEEEE

They do no currently. In answering the question you have to compare to CGC. the Census is a huge plus for CGC in that it informs which comics may be worth grading when considering scarcity, or, what you're competing with in terms of higher grades.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Customer service goes a long way. Also, CGC witnessing involves extremely long delays.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I like the VSP and that at smaller cons I can get my own books signed as an AW.
A big one is....they are there at the con. I can drop my books off and save shipping one way (working my way up to being frugal!!)
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I like accurate grading standards! I like how they are offering new products. Verified signature, raw grades, etc.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I like the VSP and that at smaller cons I can get my own books signed as an AW.
A big one is....they are there at the con. I can drop my books off and save shipping one way (working my way up to being frugal!!)

^^^ This.

Save me typing the same thing....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I like the crowd here but I like the service across the street. Turn around kills the deal for me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah...the census is an important feature they don't have right now. Is it because they don't have a large enough database yet or is it simply they haven't gotten to it?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I like the forum.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
When I started thinking about getting some of my comics slabbed I thought I would use CBCS because I like their holder better. I still have yet to submit the 3 or 4 comics I want to encapsulate because of all the negative things I have been hearing about turnaround times. Probably I will take the plunge if/ when they come to the Motor City Con this year. When I decided to join one of the forums I chose CBCS because I figured that is the service I would be using. I have been a CGC member for much longer, mainly to access the census, but I have never used their forum. As someone who doesn’t do any other kind of social media, I figured I should pick one or the other. Only so many hours in the day and all that, but I did have an itch to talk comics with like minded folk. Definitely no regrets there, as I immensely enjoy hanging out with all you guys in cyberspace.

Hey, I was thinking of submitting my first books at that con too. Right now I am leaning towards cbcs due to the price. I do enjoy this forum because most members are very helpful.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Yeah...the census is an important feature they don't have right now. Is it because they don't have a large enough database yet or is it simply they haven't gotten to it?

can't imagine it is because not a large enough base...some of the books I've had graded only have 5-600 listed on the other guys and I know I've seen more than just mine floating around as CBCS graded

Guaranteed the info is there, if only for a finance audit trail.
If I were an auditor I would want to see how many books, and what books and services per book to see if the sales $$ make sense (pre or post 1975, pressing, VSP etc etc.) So if you have to have that info for audit why would you not also keep the grade assigned to each book - just a simple matter of uploading?
I would also let you see if purchases of slabs or inventory of slabs on hand is reasonable etc. etc.

Also Beckett would have wanted a look at all that info and more before making a purchase and that would take up all sorts of resources for months to pull info pre purchase (gone through a few mergers/acquisitions myself - even worse than a normal audit!!!).
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

can't imagine it is because not a large enough base...some of the books I've had graded only have 5-600 listed on the other guys and I know I've seen more than just mine floating around as CBCS graded

Guaranteed the info is there, if only for a finance audit trail.
If I were an auditor I would want to see how many books, and what books and services per book to see if the sales $$ make sense (pre or post 1975, pressing, VSP etc etc.) So if you have to have that info for audit why would you not also keep the grade assigned to each book - just a simple matter of uploading?
I would also let you see if purchases of slabs or inventory of slabs on hand is reasonable etc. etc.

Also Beckett would have wanted a look at all that info and more before making a purchase and that would take up all sorts of resources for months to pull info pre purchase (gone through a few mergers/acquisitions myself - even worse than a normal audit!!!).

They do have the information they just aren't releasing it to the general public! Why? I would guess it's not in their best interest to divulge that info as competitors could figure out from it how much of the market share they have taken from them or something along those lines.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The grading seems more consistent to me, but that may just be my anecdotal observation. I've had good experiences with the members and staff of CBCS. I enjoy this forum and have had good experiences with the posters, even if we have lost a few to banned camp. The TATs are long, but I can live with that. I'm not flipping 48 copies of the hot new variant that won't be worth the paper they're printed on in two months, so that isn't that important to me. A census would be nice. Oh, and my slabs don't arrived damaged. #WhenWillThenBeNow #Soon
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I like CBCS because of their comprehensive graded comic registry. #soon
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting responses. Such a wide variety of reasoning too.

For me its the AW program. I am a whore to signed books, and love that I can go get the signatures and not have to wait for a witness.

gotta say too the guys are the cons are great. The other guys were very pleasant to deal with as well, but CBCS just felt a little more...personable maybe? i dunno. Definitely have impressive amounts of patience thats for sure.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If their database is big enough to have meaningful data extraction insights then what's the hold up?

If the data exists, its easy enough to display. There must be another reason why the census hasn't been shared yet.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I started here because I heard a podcast comparing the two companies and cbcs seemed more collector/hobby focused whereas cgc seemed more corporate.

Once I came here a little over 2 yrs ago I stuck with cbcs largely bc of the forum. Overall really nice, helpful people without the egos I see elsewhere. People have come and gone and I don’t post much anymore but I still lurk.

Also, I like that cbcs seems to have a higher grading standard and the fact the staff interacts on the forum despite some of the outspoken frustration with TATs says a lot about the company. The AW program is much more user friendly than cgc too.

I’m not really as into the us vs them, cbcs vs cgc debate as I used to be. I’ve used cgc and I really like their new slabs — I haven’t had any newton ring problems myself. And I love the cgc census. So although I still lean cbcs I’ll use cgc too.

I’m hoping there is an end in sight for this current TAT issue at cbcs. I’ve talked with a few people who are walking away over it and I really think the hobby needs to have healthy, reliable competition for grading.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@SpiderTim
Can't be market share...CGC would already know this based on their own submission rates.

I'd say each company has 3 submission streams - mail, AW or facilitator mail, and convention submissions.

They would have current month vs last month, current month vs same month last year (possibly multiple years), average submissions per convention (again yr over yr) with some sort of analytic to account for convention size (to help decide what con's to attend in the future or to continue attending etc.)

Based on that CGC would know if their rates or absolute #'s of submissions were holding, dropping, staying the same accounting for whatever the industry expected % growth was per year

Would be fun to crunch those numbers and run scenarios i.e. a few cons a month apart one is 50/100/150 miles away from the other, just how far do they have to be apart before one steals submissions from the other and makes going to only 1 the right answer, how much does a con in one area affect the mail ins from that area etc. Based on creator attending a con what change do you see (who are the hot draws!!) etc. etc.

Could definitely see the purchase and move just pushing a census to the back burner - just a purchase alone you would be looking at a year of staff and finance/audit reporting pushed to the limits
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Before submitting my comics to a grading company I considered the following:

1. I bought a small run of Amazing Spider-Man comics and unknowingly, many had signatures on them. I wanted a grading service that could verify if the signatures are authentic.
2. I have a limited collection and wanted to know for smaller submissions if grade screening is an option at no additional charge.
3. Credibility and validity of grading.
4. Price for grading.

CBCS is a better option for all of these factors. CGC won't grade screen unless you have a 25 Book Minimum. I submitted 10 books all with grade screening and the 3 that were rejected didn't result in any charge.

CBCS has a VSP program to account for all the signatures that occurred before comic book grading became so commercialized. It's nice to know that fans that had books signed before the 21st century or afterwards without a witness can have an option to have unwitnessed signatures authenticated.

The CBCS cases look nice and are comparable in appearance to CGC. They also appear more credible in their grading criteria. Based on looking at hundreds of photos on Ebay, comiclink, and comicconnect, it appears CBCS grades are more consistent with the comics inside the case.

Cost of grading comics is lower and the value limits are higher per grading tier. Also, in my first and only submission CBCS didn't charge me extra for a comic I submitted at Modern, even though the market value is above the $250 limit and could've been charged as Consumer.

In addition, this forum has been great. All of the members and the CBCS moderators/staff have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

The only reason I wouldn't submit to CBCS is if my main intention of having comic books graded is to make a short-term profit. There's clearly a substantial difference in market value between CGC and CBCS slabs at this time, but hopefully this will change in the coming years. The turnaround times would only concern me if I was trying to sell within a certain time frame or if I was submitting comics on behalf of a customer and had set expectations that their order would be returned sooner.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600648 70 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?