Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

What’s in the Box? Silver and Bronze Age edition.8211

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I received my CBCS order that I submitted at Terrificon in August this week and I was too busy to open it until today. It took exactly 20 weeks, so turnaround times are slowly improving. Even though it took me a few days to open, I had already looked at the grades on-line.

So what’s in the box?

Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
My guess is comic books
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Duh...duh...duhhhh....what’s in the box! Your creating some good drama with the anticipation of what you’ve got there!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Both Neal Adams and Dennis O'Neil were at Terrificon. I thought about what to have them sign, and ended up picking two comics that I bought right off the spinner racks when I was a kid.

I bought this ground-breaking issue just before I turned 10 years old. I figured it would grade in the 5.0 to 6.0 range. It earned that grade because I know I read the crap out of it.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Here's my second choice, another issue that I greatly enjoyed.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Duh...duh...duhhhh....what’s in the box! Your creating some good drama with the anticipation of what you’ve got there!
- A few years ago CBCS actually had a video contest called "What's in the box?" and they gave a monthly winner some free grading credit. This is just my lame, non-video version.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
That's so awesome still having books from when you were a kid
Post 9 IP   flag post
I almost had the next two books signed also, but decided to save the roughly $200 additional cost to actually purchase some comics at the convention.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Love me some old Neal Adams! Especially my fav Batman!
Post 11 IP   flag post
What do you think, should I have had them signed too?

Post 12 IP   flag post
I’m not a huge fan of signatures on the cover, I think it takes away from the visual of the cover. But that’s me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
As a kid, I would always buy DC off the racks. Then, when I was around 15 I started to like Marvel. So although I have owned the rest of the books for 35 or 40 years or more, I did not buy them new. I picked them up at comic book shows and stores in Rhode Island and Massachusetts back in the day.

Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
What do you think, should I have had them signed too?

For high value items I would recommend having them signed. I know Neal Adams is expensive but that Batman 234 could have really used his signature on it. But I am partial to getting signatures on anything I am having slabbed for myself.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Currently I have been focusing on my Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men collections. So I went through my boxes and picked out a few of the best of each series for this round of grading.

I thought both of these Spideys were close in grade, with the #67 just slightly better than the #60. The #60 received a lower grade than I expected, but the #67 got a higher one than I thought it would. IMO that's why we pay the experts and that's also why you should buy the comic and not the grade.

Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post
Whew! Nice!
Post 20 IP   flag post
@daywalker I request to have the signatures at the bottom, like a piece of art (which it is)

Post 21 IP   flag post
@esaravo great books, congrats
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
brilliant books!!!...both of you!
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Batman66 - Thanks. If I get another book sighed by Adams, it will probably be my copy of Batman #227. Yours is a much nicer copy than mine, so congrats to you!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Now for the X-Men, a set that I will probably be working on forever. Now if only CBCS would get their Registry sorted out and start recognizing owner sets.

Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user

Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post
600523 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?