Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

FYI: not my collection, just posting the story.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear that
Are the serial number listed somewhere
Post 2 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
clickable text

FYI: not my collection, just posting the story.

Thanks for providing a link to this story here. It's horrible reading tragedies like this, but it looks like a wake-up call for collectors.

Given that this is the second recent storage fascility break-in targeting comics it should make collectors think twice about trusting their valued books to rented lockers like this. They're obviously not safe.

The story is also posted on the CGC board via Bleeding Cool link. The victim mentioned having some idea who may be responsible. He also relayed how this personal loss has financially devastated him. Fingers crossed that authorities apprehend the culprit(s).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
All of the rich comic book guys I know (which is all old time collectors, apparently.) generally have multiple storage units to house their addiction. But they have tons of crap mixed with the awesome so a thief would need luck or a giant truck. A strange but effective defense
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector JMR private msg quote post Address this user
Fingers crossed he recovers all his books. On a different note, wouldn’t it be a bit difficult to sell such rare high grade books? Only a big collector would dish out the cash for them, and even if he knew they were stolen he’d have to know they’d be difficult to resell without a huge risk of getting caught.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
You would need to crack and re-slab.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I'd probably die if this happened to me.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
any nest egg in the form of collectibles or valuables needs to be insured, monitored and guarded.

I hope he's insured.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Even if they find the culprit(s) what are the chances this guy gets all his books back?

Able bodied thieves should be punished severely.
Post 9 IP   flag post
lol!! I just realized I spelled devastating wrong in the title...sorry guys!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector JMR private msg quote post Address this user
If caught, the police should hand the guilty party over to a bunch of collectors and let them put a moldy poly bag on his head and beat him to death with slabbed 90s variants.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR
If caught, the police should hand the guilty party over to a bunch of collectors and let them put a moldy poly bag on his head and beat him to death with slabbed 90s variants.

lol!!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a great read about stolen comics ...right in my own back yard of Newport RI...https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR

LOL! You are the thread winner!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR

I would hope with that kind of collection that he would have kept all of his comics cataloged by their CGC or CBCS #'s. That way tracking them all down will be easier. Hopefully the thief will be caught then given the SmackDown by collectors as suggested by JMR!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Praxis99 private msg quote post Address this user
It is unfortunate what happened to this person, however, they should not be using comic books as their "nest egg"!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis99
It is unfortunate what happened to this person, however, they should not be using comic books as their "nest egg"!

Exactly! Baseball cards is the way to go.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis99

Exactly! Baseball cards is the way to go.

I put it all in POGs and Beany babies back in 90...cashing out soon
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
hate hate hate that this happens but again with investment level books kept in a storage space. with that much on the line why on earth would someone not make the effort to get a safety depost for the higher end premiums .....
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If the egg was worth $1.4 million, that must be some nest. Hopefully he gets them all back safe and sound.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
My wife and I just got a storage last week... My wife brought it up to me quickly, "you're not going to put any comics in there, are you?" Uhhhh.... no. "Stuff" is going in the storage, not anything of significant value. I can imagine if by some fluke we defaulted on our storage and it went up for auction. I'd stick a random Diamond box in there and some bidder would think, "oh shit, this guy is a collector," and bit up the unit... They'd go through it and find a LOT of worthless stuff. Poor bastards...

I understand huge collections need to be stored someplace. To know where a collection that huge is housed requires inside information or... someone with a clue noticing someone moving the books in and out. Hell, when I move, I'm even paranoid how I move my collection. I tend to do it at night (the unload to new location anyway - I even tend to do it myself... my "penance," I call it), and if someone is paying too much attention to what I'm doing, I just work on something else. Never park the truck so the contents are super visible... that kind of stuff.

This in no way puts the blame on the collector. STORAGE shouldn't be "store at your own risk."

There's a special place in hell for thieves like that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Update: They got the thief !
Post 22 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Update: They got the thief !

Ouch!! only retrieved 4 of the 439 books though!!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
They need to lock that dude under the jail until Jack Bauer can interrogate him to get the rest of the comics back.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector danzies private msg quote post Address this user
My local comic shop "Gotham City Comics" was the first place the thief went to, then went to a shop down the road to a shop called Samurai comics. Gotham's owner said he knew they were stolen right away lol
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics @drchaos I know. If it was my collection, I'd bail the guy out of jail & hire someone (to do the dirty work) to beat him till he gave up the location of the remaining comics or rat out the other thief(s) names or location(s) that was involved in the heist.
If you can't trust someone to hire, do it yourself. Wear proper clothing, covering your face etc. Might also wanna shave off all body hair (arms, head, hands, etc.) You can always tell the guy your beating/kidnapped that "I am hired by the guy you stole the comics from & he wanted me to tell you if you go to the cops, he'll payme to get to you again & finish the job."
So if he goes to the cops, all you gotta do is deny it. They will probably check your phone records, internet history, etc but there won't be any proof cause in reality, you are the paid hitman. Just wear gloves with padding so you don't get split knuckles or bruised hands. The cops will be looking for any signs of trama like that if you become a suspect.
Oh, and wear boots that are a size or a size & a half too big, making sure you leave tracks. Throw them off.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user

Follow up
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Glad they caught the guy and hope they recover the rest. What keeps sticking with me, though, is the idea he took these four books worth $100K into a comic shop and tried to sell them. Did he just have no idea of the value or simply not understand that comic shops (or any other retail establishment, I suppose) don't roll that deep?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps he din't realize how connected collectors are these [cyber]days, especially at that level.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
I still think there is more to this story that what we are being told..'just saying"..;-)
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?