Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector DrBalls private msg quote post Address this user
Years ago when Steve was putting together CBCS, I approached him about doing his logo and branding work. At the time, I had also suggested utilizing a 'key' system on his as-yet-to-be-designed labels (like the icons that appear on maps) for things like 'white pages', 'off-white', 'first appearance', 'cameo' etc - the whole gamut of common grading and book notations, reducing them to small icons that could be quickly referenced on the back of the label, but allowing the front of the label to showcase more useful information. The thought being that he could develop a labeling system that differentiated CBCS from competitors, but was also highly useful to collectors, buyers and sellers.

I was also thinking was that there could be some usefulness in developing quick-reference icons that, after a few years, could become ubiquitous on graded books, giving CBCS the credit for creating it. I felt that was something that would help solidify the brand early on.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Please remove the extraneous & contentious information on the label. In other words "1st appearance of _____ "; "1st cameo of ___"; 1st time Gwendog in costume"; etc.....

Grading companies should not dictate 1st appearances and they are often incorrect. And yet when it gets questioned, a responder sends back a picture of a CGC/CBCS label that "proves" they're right. Yea ok.

Keep to the grades & grade related information since this is a grading company.

Other information like artist, writer, (I suppose) can stay. It is at least factual; not contentious; and will never change.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
I think CBCS should focus on TATs and customer service, and otherwise rehabilitate their good name in the collecting community, before any resources are devoted to making prettier labels.

Too late. New holder coming soon.

The new case and any other things CBCS is working on doesn’t take a second from production and working to get caught up on turn around...
Post 28 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’m just guessing that the grading is the process that requires the highly skilled labor and is therefore the constraint to production.
Whomever is working on new labels/cases would not be a Grader. Graders are probably being told to do just grading to maximize their potential output. I think it wise to continue improving where it is feasible whilst improvement actions are already in place for the biggest issues.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Zipper private msg quote post Address this user
I would assume that any new label would introduce Beckett as a larger component as part of the brand transformation. It may not happen in one fell swoop, but often transitions of this type are done in phases with the final endpoint being "Beckett" Comic Grading (with CBCS totally phased out).
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
I think CBCS should focus on TATs and customer service, and otherwise rehabilitate their good name in the collecting community, before any resources are devoted to making prettier labels.

Any well run quality company should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.....
Post 31 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Please remove the extraneous & contentious information on the label. In other words "1st appearance of _____ "; "1st cameo of ___"; 1st time Gwendog in costume"; etc.....

Grading companies should not dictate 1st appearances and they are often incorrect. And yet when it gets questioned, a responder sends back a picture of a CGC/CBCS label that "proves" they're right. Yea ok.

Keep to the grades & grade related information since this is a grading company.

Other information like artist, writer, (I suppose) can stay. It is at least factual; not contentious; and will never change.

Sorry to differ with your reasoning on this, but once historic information is verifiable (first appearances, origins, new costumes, groundbreaking events, SOTI attributions, etc.) that info should be included on labels, especially if the facts aren't in question and are important enough to have an impact on the value of the book.

I'd agree that contentious or incorrect data has to be sorted out before inclusion on labels, but I'm in the camp of the more info the better. Of coarse, I'm also a GA collector, so most info has been long recognized & much less contentious.
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
When there are three or more sigs on a book that are both verified and witnessed

Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Sorry to differ with your reasoning on this, but once historic information is verifiable (first appearances, origins, new costumes, groundbreaking events, SOTI attributions, etc.) that info should be included on labels, especially if the facts aren't in question and are important enough to have an impact on the value of the book.

I'd agree that contentious or incorrect data has to be sorted out before inclusion on labels, but I'm in the camp of the more info the better. Of coarse, I'm also a GA collector, so most info has been long recognized

Fair points. Particularly on Golden and Silver (and even perhaps Bronze). There is; however, a tremendous collecting clientele that is into Moderns and thats where I disagree and is often contentious (and therefore potentially not factual)
Ultimately - I feel grading companies should stay within their realm of expertise - grading. Indications of 1st appearances are not grading characteristics. I also understand taking away something that we're all used to is traumatic (perhaps a bit elevated of a word, but one gets the point).
Keep to the grading; keep to 100% factual information and I'm good. This Modern "see it's on the label so it's the 1st appearance" has got to cease and the grading companies are fostering this poor behavior.

For characteristics that involve 1st appearances; Seduction of the Innocent and other comic related information; there are a number of other resources for this information.

Perhaps the answer is removing from any Moderns. I don't know. It just causes huge problems in the industry for Moderns and many times it ends up where someones label is now incorrect. Now what? IT's just not a good scene
Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 What book had an incorrect 1st appearance noted on it?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@Nuffsaid111 What book had an incorrect 1st appearance noted on it?

Hulk 181!! LMAO!!!!
Post 36 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts - I think what @Nuffsaid111 means is that it seems first appearances are often spread out over several issues and titles. I guess you could say there has been a debate over first appearances for years, look at Hulk 180 and 181 (or Avengers 54 and 55, or for that matter, how about Darkseid for DC?). This has lead to notations such as: First Cameo, First Appearance, First Full Appearance, etc. Does a shadow constitute a first appearance? How about their hand?
Some recent controversies are the first appearances of the Batman Who Laughs and the Red Goblin. Thank God I don't chase Moderns and their Variants. Since speculation fuels the Modern/Variant market (and essentially keeps the printed comic book industry afloat, IMO), guessing which issue will be in demand because of the true first appearance means huge profits or a waste of money.
I do have some interest in Swamp Thing titles (still kicking myself for selling my HOS #92 and the original series years ago). I have had several issues from the second series graded by CBCS. There is no mention of a brief John Constantine cameo in my #25, and there is no mention of the first Justice League Dark appearance on the label of my Swamp Thing Annual #2. I would guess that at some time in the future, these appearances will be noted on the slabs. If they do get noted on future slabs, will CBCS re-slab the ones without the notations for free?
Post 37 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Precisely what @esarovo has said. Thank you
Post 38 IP   flag post
Not to mention some of the latest controversy surrounding spider-gwen, Jessica Cruz's arm, Kaluu's eyes at the back of an issue. 1st appearance? I dunno. 1st cameo? - maybe. But definitely conflicted due to absence of firm criteria/definitions around cameo and appearance in the industry.
I recommend removing onself from that controversy and let the graded comics stand by itself and let the animals fight it out on the boards as to what is 1st cameo, 1st appearance, 1st arm, 1st eyes, 1st time shown in a test tube... etc...
Post 39 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
1st time shown in a test tube... etc...
That one is either definite bullcrap or Larry Hama should get a creator credit for having the foresight to develop a character 10 years before NYX 3 ever came about.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector OmarFMirza private msg quote post Address this user
These labels look so cheap. I noticed the bottom edge is perforated and looks messy compared to CGC which has been cleanly cut.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@OmarFMirza WHICH LABELS
Post 42 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
When there are three or more sigs on a book that are both verified and witnessed

what if its even? 1 of each or 2 of each? etc..
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Good question, I was wondering the same. Default to yellow I suppose?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
Wait what new case, etc?

???
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@BronzeAgeBaby - new cases, possibly in January, is the last I heard of this.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeAgeBaby
Wait what new case, etc?

???

Need to put Beckett on the label somewhere.
Post 47 IP   flag post
597883 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?