Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
What exactly does it mean when someone lists a comic as a “vf file copy” Are they talking about the picture showing the book or something else.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
File copies were copies that the publisher held back for their files. Harvey and EC are probably the two most famous "File Copy" collections as theirs contained multiple copies of most of the books that they published. Some of them in extremely good condition. Gold Key had a fair amount of file copies, also.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
What exactly does it mean when someone lists a comic as a “vf file copy” Are they talking about the picture showing the book or something else.

Unless they can provide proof it was an actual file copy, I would buy it as a selling point. To get file copy on a book at grading, a grading company will need to know how you are proving that. Word of mouth usually isn't sufficient.
What I am getting at, is people will usually get a little more money when they have a file copy they are selling. So if they are asking more for a book, being that it is a file copy, then make sure they provide you proof just to be safe.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
The Gaines file copies will come with a certificate of authenticity signed by Gaines, Russ Cochran and Bob Overstreet. The Harvey “file copies” are actually warehouse copies, which were not stored in a temperature controlled building. Although they were never circulated they often have mediocre page quality, with even the best examples having only cream to off white pages. Since I collect Harveys I can tell you that EBay is full of people who call their comics “file copies” but have no idea what that actually means. As Earthshaker pointed out this has become something of a buzzword for people who want to get a little extra out of their books and, without any authentication, I wouldn’t put too much stock into people selling comics as file copies.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
That answers that question. I see these every so often, mostly on golden era books. I mostly shop with a buyer beware philosophy anyway. I thank you both.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
a lot of the gold key file copies are stamped as such in the indicia and easier to spot
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
here are a couple examples

Post 7 IP   flag post
601347 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?