Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS loses Grader Notes Data7891

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I'm kinda surprised no one is "discussing" this. Or did I miss it?

CBCS Comic Collectors Club LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Jeremy Glow

Lost some serious faith in CBCS today.... đŸ˜„
What the hell man!? The whole big difference between this company & CGC besides doing verified sigs is the free ready and available public grader notes!? Another member is trying to sell a book he had slabbed so I tried to look them up online... throws an error. I call to get them emailed to me because the lady that answered couldn’t get them either. This is the response I got today!? (Refer to screen shot). Who doesn’t back up their server(s) now a days if you’re a reputable company!? This is a TERRIBLE response, and if it’s true is even worse because looking at it thru the case it looks like a 9.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Darryl Hayden (CBCS Comics Employee)

It is unfortunate, but yes a small number of notes were lost from that 2014 ish time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Sean Musgrove

Darryl Hayden I have books from 2015, 2016 and 2017 that have no grader notes, the page comes up blank when you look for them just like my 10 gem mint book. Nothing like paying for something that is included in price then not getting what you paid for!

Wow.
So ALL defects are visible through the plastic? Even the ones INSIDE the comics?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS should inform customers of this problem so they can be aware. What is the extent of the data loss? Do they expect customers NOT to access grader's notes and thus be unaware of said problem? Troublesome to say the least.

What other information has been lost?

Supposedly information for the "eventual" census is being gathered and saved, does this mean that said information or partially has also been lost? Why don't they have a backup?

Does this mean that we should save our own grader's notes when we get books back from CBCS in order not to lose this information?

Lots of questions. Hope we can get some answers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I wouldn't hold my breath for a Census.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I wouldn't hold my breath for a Census.

I know but if it ever comes to life will it also be missing information?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
Really embarrassing for whoever handles their IT. Just reeks of poorly configured backups to me.

Horrible that this happened, and I would hope the IT folks are held responsible.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
All I have to say is, wow. I had hopes for a change from the bigger company. But it seems as if the best bet is to stay with them as I have watched the tat, customer service, now loss of data, lack of communication, etc for the last 6+ months and am more than dissapointed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I talked to the graders and they said since it is a 9.0 that all of the defects should be visible through the slab.

This actually bothers me more than the IT oversight.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
This company has good intentions, but what is their major malfunction with IT? Hire a “web guy” who can do decent graphics and has database experience. That would be a start. Beckett doesn’t have web folks that can help with this?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS The problem is that this is an IT oversight issue. Failure to do online and offline database backups (I say this because they lost data and that means usually no backups) is purely the fault of IT.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I talked to the graders and they said since it is a 9.0 that all of the defects should be visible through the slab.

It's a 9.0. All the defects are going to be on the outside. If there were tears, marks or missing pieces in the interior, it would have graded lower.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by

It's a 9.0. All the defects are going to be on the outside. If there were tears, marks or missing pieces in the interior, it would have graded lower.

I understand that, but IF this statement is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Jeremy Glow
...looking at it thru the case it looks like a 9.8

... it bothers me more than the IT oversight.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by

So what about the post issue Jessie? What is your opinion on that particular subject? Curious to know.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@SpiderTim On the data loss?? I'm thinking that CBCS would do regular backups and something happened that effected a portion of comics that were entered after a backup and during the data transfer. Accidents happen. I'm pretty certain that they didn't do it on purpose and I haven't heard of it effecting a large number of comics. Is it a pain?? YES!! Could it have been prevented?? I don't know. Without the specifics, I don't see how anyone can say that it was 100% preventable. Is it a sign of mismanagement??? Possibly, but that would depend on the answer of if it was preventable. I've owned a small business and managed a chain store. I know that stuff happens. How it is handled and possibly fixed is the key.

On that note, is the message a terrible response? No, I don't think so. There is no good way to relate bad news. The OP was going to be upset regardless of how it was stated. Kendra is a customer service rep caught in the middle. She was relaying to the customer the information that she received from IT and the graders. I don't see anything in her message where she was unprofessional or discourteous. What would you have said? She was concise and to the point. I actually thought her reply was a good one considering all the bad information that she had to deliver.

That's my take on the original situation.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@SpiderTim On the data loss?? I'm thinking that CBCS would do regular backups and something happened that effected a portion of comics that were entered after a backup and during the data transfer. Accidents happen. I'm pretty certain that they didn't do it on purpose and I haven't heard of it effecting a large number of comics. Is it a pain?? YES!! Could it have been prevented?? I don't know. Without the specifics, I don't see how anyone can say that it was 100% preventable. Is it a sign of mismanagement??? Possibly, but that would depend on the answer of if it was preventable. I've owned a small business and managed a chain store. I know that stuff happens. How it is handled and possibly fixed is the key.

On that note, is the message a terrible response? No, I don't think so. There is no good way to relate bad news. The OP was going to be upset regardless of how it was stated. Kendra is a customer service rep caught in the middle. She was relaying to the customer the information that she received from IT and the graders. I don't see anything in her message where she was unprofessional or discourteous. What would you have said? She was concise and to the point. I actually thought her reply was a good one considering all the bad information that she had to deliver.

That's my take on the original situation.

I concur with all your answers. I'm not sure if anyone has stated that Kendra's response was discourteous in any way, I personally don't think it was anything but transmitting the information she received from the proper departments.

An official statement from CBCS would be highly appreciated but since it is now owned by Becket maybe previous policies are no longer valid. When the case scenario happened they were very transparent in informing customers about the issues but lately not so much. Seems like mum is the word.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by

How I interpret this is that normally you do not get notes for 9.8 and (now) 9.6 grades, and anything 9.0 to 9.4 should be clearly visible from the outside.

I'm assuming someone says a 9.0 looks like a 9.8 is because they don't have the item in hand (looking at a scan or photo).

So Kendra's answer is not the answer one wants to hear, but it's not uneducated. Maybe it could have been followed up with a "why this is the case."

At least the id number is in their system (I assume). I have ones That don't come up that I bought online. I haven't been diligent about following up because I can tell they look like the grade from the outside (9.6/9.8) and I'm
Not looking to sell. I'll likely check in when their issues are settling down.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So load a backup and hire a competent IT staff to merge the data using classic traditional code writing that allows you to import the old data into a table, write a routine that sifts the data into a new database table...then export that data into the required format of the new software.

You are a grading company who just lost an unknown amount of graders notes on books out in the wild. I would consider getting those notes back before you have backlash on ebay purchased books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Even though Kendra mentioned the move, Daryl mentioned the notes from 2014 being lost...if the book/notes in question were from that time period, this was already a known issue from when the new website launched and they had some data migration issues. I'd be interested to know if they actually lost more notes from this recent move or if Kendra just mistakenly referenced the recent move?
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
When we migrated our data from the old system to the new one in 2015, there was a limited loss of comic book data. It was on a few orders that were corrupted during the migration to our new upgraded system. The loss, while unfortunate, was tiny. The vast bulk of data from the original system remained usable and is completely searchable in our new system.

There was no loss of comic data during the move from Florida to Texas. The system data is stored remotely and was not impacted in any way by the relocation of our company to Dallas. No platform changes have been made since the one we did in 2015 that caused the data loss.

I apologize for any confusion the email exchange in the original post has caused. It was not communicated clearly by management to Kendra when she replied to the email.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @SteveRicketts. Thats exactly what i figured happened.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
When we migrated our data from the old system to the new one in 2015, there was a limited loss of comic book data. It was on a few orders that were corrupted during the migration to our new upgraded system. The loss, while unfortunate, was tiny. The vast bulk of data from the original system remained usable and is completely searchable in our new system.

There was no loss of comic data during the move from Florida to Texas. The system data is stored remotely and was not impacted in any way by the relocation of our company to Dallas. No platform changes have been made since the one we did in 2015 that caused the data loss.

I apologize for any confusion the email exchange in the original post has caused. It was not communicated clearly by management to Kendra when she replied to the email.

How much of a limited loss of comic book data? Does it also affect the data for a census?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim

How much of a limited loss of comic book data? Does it also affect the data for a census?

Oh no. Not the census. đŸ˜±

Quote:
When we migrated our data from the old system to the new one in 2015, there was a limited loss of comic book data. It was on a few orders that were corrupted during the migration to our new upgraded system. The loss, while unfortunate, was tiny. The vast bulk of data from the original system .remained usable and is completely searchable in our new system.

@SteveRicketts did you lose more than grader’s notes? Such as, was the existence of some slabs wiped out? I may have one (maybe two) which do not come up in search at all...and may be from that time frame. What do you suggest one do if they come across one of these? What woukd happen if it gets sent in for a reholder?
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@SpiderTim I don't know if it will have an impact on the census. We will know more once the census is in production. The corrupted data didn't affect a large number of books.

PS, I don't want to get too optimistic, but I was on a conference call this morning where we were fleshing out the census. I hope to see the developers working on it before the end of the year. More info when I have it.

@Drogio PM me the serial numbers of the books in question and I'll see what I can find.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@SpiderTim I don't know if it will have an impact on the census. We will know more once the census is in production. The corrupted data didn't affect a large number of books.

PS, I don't want to get too optimistic, but I was on a conference call this morning where we were fleshing out the census. I hope to see the developers working on it before the end of the year. More info when I have it.

@Drogio PM me the serial numbers of the books in question and I'll see what I can find.

I think it is great that you continue to talk about census, as it makes me believe that you have a plan to get TAT under control before the next convention season. I would hate going into yet another convention season with TAT on tiers such as modern being 4-6 months. As said it is great that you now find time to deal with other stuff than TAT.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I think it is great that you continue to talk about census, as it makes me believe that you have a plan to get TAT under control before the next convention season. I would hate going into yet another convention season with TAT on tiers such as modern being 4-6 months. As said it is great that you now find time to deal with other stuff than TAT.

I wouldn't be that optimistic.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

I wouldn't be that optimistic.

Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
601325 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?