Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Yet another eBay scammer...7889

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Use the nastiest and meanest tone, but only say nice things and give compliments to the server. It really confuses them.
LOL

Yeah well, what else can I do when a seller refuses to disclose color touch? Alert the forums!
I don't buy the "oops" attitude he brought in last minute, when he defended that there was no color touch instead of just looking inside the book or taking a photo. (insert poop emoji)

@X51
Oh and I meant to reply to you earlier about your days as an artist - my brother in law is an aspiring writer & is actually putting together his first comic book soon. We talk about it all the time so hearing your story reminded me of him. He showed me some of the artists sketches and drawings, many of which were varying in their completion status. I can see what you mean by the perspective and I guess the "architecture" of the art as opposed to just the prettiness of it. If art isn't a glimpse of the human soul I don't know what is...music...anything expressive should be cherished & protected. I wish I was a gifted artist, but alas stick figures are my burden to bear.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
For what it is worth - nowadays a phone camera takes as good a picture as a scanner - it all depends on the resolution applied.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man I would say extremely good catch that the book had been color touched. You have a sharp eye for details.

@smileLP I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Personally, It takes more than one instance to be deemed as a scammer. So unless someone can provide earlier instances then I am good.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@comic_book_man I would say extremely good catch that the booked had been color touch. You have a sharp eye for details.

@smileLP I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Personally, It takes more than one instance to be deemed as a scammer. So unless someone can provide earlier instances then I am good.

As always, you are right and a fair judge.
The title of scammer might of been a bit assumptive of me, although when he refused photos and had no plans to check the book or adjust the listing - it just felt natural.

Maybe he is just a fooling fool. By that I mean both the noun & verb where he was both unwise & deceiving.

@poka
Even if I am not seen on the forum as a deliverer of justice, and this seller righted their wrong, at the very least I feel like I brought attention to the matter - otherwise the book would of just sold as unrestored which doesn't seem right.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
For what it is worth - nowadays a phone camera takes as good a picture as a scanner - it all depends on the resolution applied.

Resolution is not the issue. It's the skewing of the images and the poor angles used. A scanner gives flat images at the right proportions.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Ironically, I just read this...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181022162200.htm
Post 56 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Ahhh, the irony of this thread.

@comic_book_man made his first post a year ago, finding our forum in order to address our concerns regarding one of his eBay listings. (See Hulk 181 9.9?)

Now, @smileLP has made his first post, finding our forum in order to address @comic_book_man 's concerns regarding one of his eBay listings.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Resolution is not the issue. It's the skewing of the images and the poor angles used. A scanner gives flat images at the right proportions.

Angle + resolution.

For all raws I use camera
For all slabs I use scanner
Post 58 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@poka

Quote:

But it does highlight how subjective the process for identifying restored books is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Spotting color touch isn't subjective at all. It's there or it's not.

Quote:
whenever people are involved - it is subjective

Maybe the color touch is just subjective
Post 59 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck nah - that one is quite straight forward. The tricky ones are the ones which don’t bleed through
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Angle + resolution.

That's exactly the opposite of what I'd want to see. Doesn't matter. I don't shop online.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Angle + resolution.

That's exactly the opposite of what I'd want to see. Doesn't matter. I don't shop online.

You are gonna to damage the spine on a raw book if scanning interior pages and the result is inferior to the photo by the camara depending on the resolution used.

Only reason I am using scanner for slabs is due to reflection using camera. I don’t have a studio with the right lights and angles to avoid reflection.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
one thing to me that seems rather .....odd. why do all the posting and arguing point by point as a seller BEFORE Checking the comic itself once the problem was pointed out that would be my first move rather than debating endless right and wrong. sure you made an honest error but you then allowed it to blow up before a simple recheck understand not wanting to handle nice comics more than necessary but necessary is obvious there......
Post 63 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of eBay scams... seller had a comic listed for $15 "Buy it Now" and I made an "offer" for $13 yesterday...so then he sends me a counter offer for $19!!!? The seller raised the "Buy it Now" price from $15 to $22, now that is downright crooked! I rejected the offer!!
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@brysb I had someone do that to me too. I wanted to buy a projector to project scary ghost clips on a screen in the window for Halloween (Atmosfear FX). And the seller upped the price by twice as much as the original price, not only in the counter offer but they changed the original listening as well. Needless to say I didn't even respond and purchased from another seller.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
GanaSoth, you did the right thing by rejecting the counter offer, just like I did. Once an offer is made how can the seller get away with raising the original price?? Very unethical practice!
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
well..I can't get back the 20 mins it took me to read all this and I actually dont have an opinion either way...but, I can say that mistakes happen even when it's an obvious one. It doesn't always mean it's a scam. I sell a handful of books a year and just this month I sold 30 or so GA funnies raw on eBay. I took pics and gave a great price ( I think like 80.00 bucks even though one of the books was worth at least 150 in it's condition raw). I was in a rush to clear stuff out and then I got the message that the 150.00 book and the second most valuable book had missing centerfolds, I was more than embarrassed for rushing and looking like I scammed him. I refunded all his money and told him to keep the books. My point: shit happens...especially if you're high volume. As long as you make it right, what's the issue?
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I was more than embarrassed for rushing and looking like I scammed him. I refunded all his money and told him to keep the books. My point: shit happens...especially if you're high volume. As long as you make it right, what's the issue?

Well the seller smileLP intended to sell the book as unrestored, and argued it was unrestored - this thread made him change his ways...totally different. You are an honest seller, he is not.

He only "made it right" because I called him out and shared it with the forum, otherwise he had no intentions of updating his listing or acknowledging the obvious restoration on the book.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
one thing to me that seems rather .....odd. why do all the posting and arguing point by point as a seller BEFORE Checking the comic itself once the problem was pointed out that would be my first move rather than debating endless right and wrong. sure you made an honest error but you then allowed it to blow up before a simple recheck understand not wanting to handle nice comics more than necessary but necessary is obvious there......

Exactly.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

You'd actually be surprised at the number of retailers that only look at the exterior of the book and do only a cursory evaluation. They deal with so many comics that they just make assumptions that the books are complete and have no tampering done to them.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Angle + resolution.

You are gonna to damage the spine on a raw book if scanning interior pages and the result is inferior to the photo by the camara depending on the resolution used.

Only reason I am using scanner for slabs is due to reflection using camera. I don’t have a studio with the right lights and angles to avoid reflection.

Photographs of the inside are fine. On anything pricey, there should at minimum be a front and back high quality scan that isn't skewed or shown in inconsistent light. It should be free of hands obscuring parts of the book. Bulk lots or cheap reading copies don't need scans, but anything like that SS#1 needs a scan.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
well..I can't get back the 20 mins it took me to read all this and I actually dont have an opinion either way...but, I can say that mistakes happen even when it's an obvious one. It doesn't always mean it's a scam. I sell a handful of books a year and just this month I sold 30 or so GA funnies raw on eBay. I took pics and gave a great price ( I think like 80.00 bucks even though one of the books was worth at least 150 in it's condition raw). I was in a rush to clear stuff out and then I got the message that the 150.00 book and the second most valuable book had missing centerfolds, I was more than embarrassed for rushing and looking like I scammed him. I refunded all his money and told him to keep the books. My point: shit happens...especially if you're high volume. As long as you make it right, what's the issue?

As I've gotten older, I value my time more than I do possessions. "Doing Nothing" means more to me than going back and forth with a seller to let them "make it right." Nothing annoys me more than going back and forth with a retailer because they misrepresented what they are selling. I'd rather just throw my purchases away and never deal with a seller again than squabble over what they didn't do right.

I was pissed that I had to take a day off work to sign for a comic Metropolis sold me. I would have rather had the $400 comic stolen off at my doorstep than waste a vacation day to sign for a comic. I don't buy from them anymore because they wouldn't give me the option of taking that risk.
Post 72 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

As I've gotten older, I value my time more than I do possessions. "Doing Nothing" means more to me than going back and forth with a seller to let them "make it right." Nothing annoys me more than going back and forth with a retailer because they misrepresented what they are selling. I'd rather just throw my purchases away and never deal with a seller again than squabble over what they didn't do right.

I was pissed that I had to take a day off work to sign for a comic Metropolis sold me. I would have rather had the $400 comic stolen off at my doorstep than waste a vacation day to sign for a comic. I don't buy from them anymore because they wouldn't give me the option of taking that risk.

this I can relate to 10 fold! Agreed completely!
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone screws up from time to time.
If I made a mistake, tell me and I'll make it right.
If you made one and I tell you, you should make it right.
If you don't, I'm not going to waste a lot of time.
I'll just never deal with you again.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy

Depending upon the nature of the screw-up, a seller might never hear a complaint from me. I just don't order from them again. Ever.

Yes. Everyone screws up, but how many babies is it okay for a doctor to drop on the ground at the hospital in a day? Five? Two? Maybe none?
Post 75 IP   flag post
@X51 I like your analogies.
Post 76 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy

Depending upon the nature of the screw-up, a seller might never hear a complaint from me. I just don't order from them again. Ever.

Yes. Everyone screws up, but how many babies is it okay for a doctor to drop on the ground at the hospital in a day? Five? Two? Maybe none?

I get your analogy but certainly we're not comparing dropping babies to comic books? it's an extreme comparison but a more comparable one might be "your ad says rust free but I see there's some rust".
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Post 78 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
This thread has run its course
Post 79 IP   flag post
597867 79 29
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.