Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Raphael #1 (Altered) - Noted on Raw Grading Book7813

Collector Wilson3d private msg quote post Address this user
Hello. I'm having a small batch of books being Raw graded for the first time. They are in the billing stage and I was curious if anyone knows why one book - Raphael #1 (Altered) - has Altered in the title? Its the first print Mirage edition. My guess is that this would signify color touch or something along these lines but I also read that Raw did not do a Restoration check. Perhaps this is just a glaring color touch, so they noted that is was altered? Its not a very high value book either way - I'm mainly just curious. I also assume Raw does not include any graders notes.

Thanks for any info.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Wilson3d - No idea, did you take a picture of the book before you submitted it?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I did take some pics. I hope that if it says Altered on the grading sticker they will give me an explanation of what that means or tell me where I can go read about what it means on the CBCS website. Haven't found anything yet.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Photos please
Post 4 IP   flag post
I will have to look around for which drive they are saved on. If the sticker actually says Altered on it, I guess I can call CBCS and see if someone can tell me what it means on a raw book. Assuming no one here knows.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector gm8 private msg quote post Address this user
So CBCS grades magazine size books now?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm8
So CBCS grades magazine size books now?

CBCS will “Raw Grade” comics, magazines, and even Treasury-sized books at a cost of $10 per Modern and $15 per Expanded. According to their description of this service, it “does not include a restoration check but will note obvious defects.” The books are not slabbed, but placed in Mylar bags with backing boards. I have not used this service, but I am considering it for some Treasury Editions that I own. Due to their size, it is unlikely that any company will slab them. The weight and cost of just the slabs (not to mention the equipment needed) is currently too much to make it practical.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector gm8 private msg quote post Address this user
^ ok thanks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll update when I get an answer. I am guessing there is some easily detected color touch. I have had the book for probably 27 years or so. I did grab a pic of it before I sent it in but I didn't do a close look for restoration as it has been my personal copy for so many years. Easy to say, I missed something when purchased in 8th or 9th grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
211086 9 9
destitute