Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Biggest ooops you have found or done to a comic book....7670

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
A couple years ago I bought Tales of Suspense #99 in a sale...but not just any copy, this was the White Mountain copy and I was able to obtain it rather cheaply.....why? Because at some point either the person who was responsible for curating and keeping one of the most well recognized collections in the comic collecting world, chose to use the back of the book for scrap paper, or someone after that who plainly had to know they were using a book from a legendary collection ...
Point being....umm cmon dude, you couldn't add 4.50 in your head?

So the White mountain , Tales of Susupense 98 scored a 9.6 and sold last, January of 2010, for over a thousand......I paid less than a hundred dollars for this one a year or two ago.
Whats your most obvious similar book and did you do it yourself or buy it that way? Ive seen spider man cut out of the cover of Amazing Spider man 1.....the letters on the cover of an x-men filled in with crayon, and many more....

Post 1 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious ... how did you (or CBCS for that matter) know it was the WM copy?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Oh yeah ... oops moment.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/428836-biggest-regret-or-score-in-the-last-decade/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-10114970
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
you ask a solid question. Always wondered myself because the books don't seem.like they were marked like other pedigree collections sometimes were
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Doesn’t compare to your example from a value POV but last year I finally finished my collection of Spider-Man 1 variants clickable text when I found the two signed/stamped variants for sale at a LCS for the price of the regular covers.

I still don’t know for sure if the owner had no idea what he was selling or simply didn’t care. Either way I’ll happily paid $10 each instead of the $70-100+ thy can go for.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
White Mountains have a hand written date stamp in usually blue ink in the upper right hand corner of the front cover.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
White Mountains have a hand written date stamp in usually blue ink in the upper right hand corner of the front cover.
my slab states White.Mountain but seems lacking the date so....
Post 7 IP   flag post
Then you're just special.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:

I did find this bit out...."The later white mountains often exhibit the last two digits of the year, written in pen near the issue number. The first page will also have a date written or stamped."

As I bought the book already slabbed it seems highly likely there would be a date written or stamped rather on the first page, which helped identify it as such.....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I bought this book raw and was told it was a White Mountain. The date stamp inside was the only identifying mark. I added that it was the White Mountain Copy on my submission form so I assume they can recognize it from this.
Also, more on topic, when I first removed this from the bag I got tape stuck to the front cover and pulled a little spot off

Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Tore a 1/2" tear on back of an otherwise 6.0 copy of Swamp Thing #1. I don't want to talk about it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I remove scotch tape from every bag now and throw it away before I take a book out. As soon as I damage one, (usually with scotch tape I got lazy with) I immediately sell it in disgust.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
I saw a Detective 359, first Barbara Gordon as Batgirl at a local shop. At first it looked great and then I noticed someone had taken a ball point pen and colored Bat girl's face in blue.

Dream of a nm copy shattered.
Post 13 IP   flag post
and of course Marvel value stamps....have to wonder how we got so fortunate that the Marvel value stamps appeared in books like Incredible hulk #181 and if I remember right, Amazing spidey 129...have to wonder how many people went snip snip snip
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I did a tape pull on a copy of ASM #26.
Post 15 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
At the time (1951) five cents was a bargain for some good reading.

OO (DETECTIVE #168)

mm
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:

I did find this bit out...."The later white mountains often exhibit the last two digits of the year, written in pen near the issue number. The first page will also have a date written or stamped."

As I bought the book already slabbed it seems highly likely there would be a date written or stamped rather on the first page, which helped identify it as such.....

I had forgotten that he also wrote it on the inside of the book.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
At the time (1951) five cents was a bargain for some good reading.

OO (DETECTIVE #168)

mm
Ouch that one hurts....what a shame.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting that I read this thread to learn more about the white mountain pedigree issues. In researching I found that the mile high issues are part of that group.
I remembered one of my Daredevil books had a mile high certificate in it. So searched and found it with 4 in all. A #59, 62, 69 & 70. Not key issues but part of the collection.
Never thought much of them, but possibly a big enough deal to get graded now?... hmmm...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
Interesting that I read this thread to learn more about the white mountain pedigree issues. In researching I found that the mile high issues are part of that group.
I remembered one of my Daredevil books had a mile high certificate in it. So searched and found it with 4 in all. A #59, 62, 69 & 70. Not key issues but part of the collection.
Never thought much of them, but possibly a big enough deal to get graded now?... hmmm...

Not even a question for me...if you have anything from one of the more well known pedigree collections get it slabbed and authenticated . Nice books to have
Post 20 IP   flag post
Well a bit of a false alarm. I looked at the back sides of the certificates and they are from the "2nd" Mile High collection not the Church collection. Still not a bad purchase back in 1986 for 5 bucks each. And they do look to still be very high grade. Will take pics...
Post 21 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO (MYSTERY IN SPACE #1)

mm
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

I can’t claim to have done this to this book, but this is a complete comic where virtually every page is severed, and I have 50 more books from the era just like it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Here are pics of the Mile High "2nd" collection I didn't realize I had. Too bad CBCS doesn't insert certificates into slabs...

Post 24 IP   flag post
601206 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?