Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I know most of us are on the hunt for the amazing find but I was wondering what is the best comic book deal you have ever given someone? It can be a good deal where you were the seller, a trade, a book you gave someone as a present, or anything else you think qualifies.

-
Mine = One of my brothers is a Punisher fan. I got him a high grade Amazing 129 for his birthday a few years ago
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I used to have four CGC 9.8 ASM 300s.

I sold them off for $525 - $576 each.

Whoever bought them must be pretty happy now.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BSeldin305 private msg quote post Address this user
At MEGACON 2018 (Orlando, FL) I was online to get my second Jim Lee autograph. They closed the line after 2 people behind me. Right behind me was a a young kid with his Mom; they were going to have Mr. Lee sign a paper plate as they had nothing else. I turned to the family and handed them .....

.... my X-Men #1 (No, not that one- the one where he did like 5 covers) THE GATEFOLD VARIANT!

1/8,000,000,000. This comic was worth about $1.00

That's about the extent of my generosity.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Gave my bro a FN Supes #11 just because I heard he wanted one, and he had no idea that I had a nice one stashed.

I broke into his house while he was on vacation and hung it on the wall in the kitchen where it would be seen immediately on return. That was fun.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I lucked into a really good price on an Uncanny 95, I ended up giving it to the friend who got me into collecting comics. This was 20 years ago, I think I paid $25 for it...
Post 5 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I brought my non collecting brother to a Comic-Con, paid his way.
He won the big prize raffle: ASM 129. He got it graded via CBCS (I implored him,) a 5.5.
I feel as though I had a part in him getting it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
kick started my brother into collecting by giving him Cap 100 (1968), Conan 1 (1970) and Silver Surfer 1 (1968) all mid grades.

He's basically an addict now, LOL!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
kick started my brother into collecting by giving him Cap 100 (1968), Conan 1 (1970) and Silver Surfer 1 (1968) all mid grades.

He's basically an addict now, LOL!

I'm responsible for getting my brother hooked on Punisher.
After he was collecting for a while, I gave him the 129
Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
One year, a package got lost during a secret holiday exchange that I set up. I felt bad for both parties. The sender had sent some awesome stuff and the recipient was out because he had sent some awesome stuff to a guy and didn't get anything. After a while, it was apparent that it was lost forever thanks to USPS. I commissioned an artist friend of mine to do a painting for the guy who didn't get the package. The artist sent it direct to him. The guy did like it, so I'm glad I did it. This is what was sent.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I had an extra copy of ASM 129 and gave it to my best friend who also collects comics. He rightfully deserved it as he helps me receiving my comic packages at his home. He has also given me good deals on silver age comics that I haven¿t sold or plan to. So it is practically a mutual thing between us. I bought a complete run of Preacher from him for $100 making me able to sell my 8.0 signed copies of 1 and 2 to upgrade to my new copies 9.4 signed by both Dillon and Ennis. I declined purchasing FF 52 from him for a measly $30 he sold it later for $300.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Ive sent a few books to guys from online for pennies on the dollar because I was feeling good ...ASM 300 9.2 for 80.00 was the last one....I gave my sons friend (he was 9) my hulk 180 and 182 because he chose them and I didnt want to say no (they were around the 9.0 range) and I gave a guy from CBCS my ASM 194 and Hulk 271 for free for taking the time to check out my books (they were also around 9.0 )
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
There was a hard to find TPB that would fluctuate between $100 and $225 on eBay depending on whether the bidders with deep pockets were searching for it on a given day. I sold one to a collector for $80. Then again, I'd found a store that had 4 copies and I bought them all for $10 a piece. They didn't know it was a retailer premium and stores had to order 1,000 comics to get the TPB. I think they bought them at a Diamond warehouse sale. I don't mind giving someone a good deal if I'm selling something for 8 times what I paid.
Post 12 IP   flag post
601333 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?