Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

If someone believes spine tics were created during the manufacture of the product (the comic) in Stage 1 - then I have a bridge to sell you.

Spine tics occur sometime either in stage 2 or 3; but not stage 1. Therefore it is not a manufacturing defect.

One of the most ridiculous & naive statements ever uttered in the hobby. These are comic books, not machined parts for the space shuttle. It's without question dings and flaws can be, and often are created by the very process of printing them.

Contrary to what many may believe, the majority of comics books ever printed are flawed in someway right off the press, which is exactly what makes finding those rarer 9.8 high grade books so desirable.

How much for the bridge? I'll take two
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

If someone believes spine tics were created during the manufacture of the product (the comic) in Stage 1 - then I have a bridge to sell you.

Spine tics occur sometime either in stage 2 or 3; but not stage 1. Therefore it is not a manufacturing defect.

One of the most ridiculous & naive statements ever uttered in the hobby. These are comic books, not machined parts for the space shuttle. It's without question dings and flaws can be, and often are created by the very process of printing them.

Contrary to what many may believe, the majority of comics books ever printed are flawed in someway right off the press, which is exactly what makes finding those rarer 9.8 high grade books so desirable.

How much for the bridge? I'll take two

They're both yours. I got some other garbage too. Interested?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, through probability alone, ticks can happen during pre/post production but admittedly more commonly inside the diamond box.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Diamond treating books.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I agree, through probability alone, ticks can happen during pre/post production but admittedly more commonly inside the diamond box.

Not according to someone on these boards. Anyone who believes spine tics occur post manufacture are naive and ridiculous. In fact it's the most ridiculous and naive thing anyone could ever believe. Clearly! Printing companies have no quality control procedures. Why would they? They're just comic books. Who cares what they come out looking like. Clearly he is right based on his thoughts alone
Post 30 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Diamond treating books.

So, you're saying: what Diamond does to comics books LOOKS bad, but doesn't really hurt them?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It looks bad, but isn't that bad until 30 years down the road because you didn't save your money.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Not according to someone on these boards. Anyone who believes spine tics occur post manufacture are naive and ridiculous. In fact it's the most ridiculous and naive thing anyone could ever believe. Clearly! Printing companies have no quality control procedures. Why would they? They're just comic books. Who cares what they come out looking like. Clearly he is right based on his thoughts alone

So....You are capable of learning then... Great!

While modern printing techniques may have advanced,

Quality Control was virtually non-existant from 1940-1990 (maybe even later)

They were cheap pulp paper items mass produced for kids and were never intended to be high quality books. Which is exactly what makes any of the existing higher grade examples so rare and valuable.

Print lines
Printer Creases
Ink over Spray
Mis-wrapped covers
Mis-Cut Covers
Nicks, Dents & Dings
Missing staples
Binary flaws
Wavy Covers

All Flaws that can & have occurred during the printing process. Thus the term "Print Flaws"
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
They were cheap pulp paper items mass produced for kids and were never intended to be high quality books.

Key word: "were".
Bitch Planet was manufactured December 2014; not 1984
All those manufacturing errors you mention have improved significantly since the antiquated 60's, 70's, and 80's
Additionally printing companies have improved upon their Quality control such that those mfg. defects you mention above have been reduced and/or eliminated.

Continuous improvement occurs in all manufacturing facilities including printing companies; not just spacecraft. The public demands it these days whereas 20/30+ years ago it didn't matter.

I maintain with high probability that spine tic(s) in the Bitch Planet 9.8 at the top of this thread occurred post manufacture for the reasons I've stated. The tic(s) are therefore likely not "manufacturing errors". Is it possible they are? Sure - It is possible. But it is NOT LIKELY as QC for the printing manufacturer would have caught this and corrected the error before the entire print run was completed.

Lastly, I don't appreciate being indirectly called naive and ridiculous. But I kinda expect it from you as I've seen the methodology of your responses over the months. Try being factual & respectful in your responses to others that have a view. Maybe even you can learn something new as I've provided facts above. Facts which I would hope you don't choose to ignore.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Additionally printing companies have improved upon their Quality control such that those mfg. defects you mention above have been reduced and/or eliminated.

Erm.. I guess you weren't one of those waiting for a reprint for one of those recent asm 800 or venom 1 variants that got mauled in the manufacturing process..
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Erm.. I guess you weren't one of those waiting for a reprint for one of those recent asm 800 or venom 1 variants that got mauled in the manufacturing process..

Erm.... "likely" is what I stated throughout

I'm still not sure why folks choose to read and absorb only what they want to read and absorb. Not a whole lot in this world is black and white folks. There are hundreds/thousands of comic titles every year. How many of those get mauled at the printer? A fraction. The concept of probability and percentages seems foreign to most

I'm in Healthcare and we still make products that provide erroneous patient results. Once in half million times but it happens. But it is considered unlikely therefore it is acceptable risk. It happens. Again... probabilities... probabilities... probabilities.

I know folks don't understand risk management, manufacturing probabilities, and statistics and that is ok. But don't take your 1 instance and make it a rule that is the norm. The instances that a specific individual experience that stick in their head do not statistically make it the norm. It is emotional and most react on emotion; not statistics and probabilities.

Again - the "likelihood" is this is NOT a mfg defect. It occurred either during shipping or packing/unpacking or elsewise. For any grading company to assume this is a printing defect is in "all likelihood" erroenous.

Further, which I haven't even mentioned yet, where is the evidence that every single Bitch Planet #1 variant has this spine tic? If CBCS or CGC do not have that evidence, then how can it be stated this spine tic is in error in "every copy"? We can't.

If the root cause is determined to be post production activity as any spine tic would suggest, then it is not a production error. It occurred after the completion of the manufacture of the comic book; likely during the stacking or placing into boxes. Yes, it is still the responsibility of the manufacturer, but it is not, by definition, a "manufacturing error" in the same way that miswrap covers, printer creases, and wavy covers which occur during the manufacturing process of the creation of the comic book.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
They were cheap pulp paper items mass produced for kids and were never intended to be high quality books.

Key word: "were".
Bitch Planet was manufactured December 2014; not 1984
All those manufacturing errors you mention have improved significantly since the antiquated 60's, 70's, and 80's

Continuous improvement occurs in all manufacturing facilities including printing companies; not just spacecraft. The public demands it these days whereas 20/30+ years ago it didn't matter.

I maintain with high probability that spine tic(s) in the Bitch Planet 9.8 at the top of this thread occurred post manufacture for the reasons I've stated. The tic(s) are therefore likely not "manufacturing errors". Is it possible they are? Sure - It is possible. But it is NOT LIKELY as QC for the printing manufacturer would have caught this and corrected the error before the entire print run was completed.

Lastly, I don't appreciate being indirectly called naive and ridiculous. But I kinda expect it from you as I've seen the methodology of your responses over the months. Try being factual & respectful in your responses to others that have a view. Maybe even you can learn something new as I've provided facts above. Facts which I would hope you don't choose to ignore.

OK... I guess I could be wrong.. Maybe your not able to learn.

I would agree with the advances is printing techniques. It is not about how the spine tic got there in this particular instance, Post or Pre Printing (both are very much possible), but the fact is, small binary flaws like the one you are referencing are still very much within the quality control tolerances of even today's modern printing.

I apologize if you took offense.

Good Day
Post 37 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Diamond treating books.

So that’s how you get the creases out of a book.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Quote:
Diamond treating books.

So that’s how you get the creases out of a book.

And staples!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Your not able to learn.....You're not able to learn.....classic
Post 40 IP   flag post
598071 40 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?