Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks Near MINT/MINt to me..

lol

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
When the entire run has the same defect the defect is not counted against the grade.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
It was an ebay listing, when I posted it on my facebook, the owner posted a better pic, not knowing he was on the same forum.

His scanner was dirty.

He revised his ebay listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bitch-Planet-1-1-10-Variant-Cover-CGC-9-8-SS-De-Landro-Clowes-Deconnick-NM-M/142670664215?hash=item2137d59217:g:4c8AAOSwJ71abO9v:rk:9:pf:0

Apologies to the guy
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I should show you my cbcs 9.8s which may not even grade 9.6 if sent into cgc...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
recently landed a slabbed CGC JIM 108 at 6.5 and both myself and a good friend of mine cannot see how it scored more than a high 5.0....somemtimes wonder if graders have off days and days they just mail it in, as well as days where its all good.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
When the entire run has the same defect the defect is not counted against the grade.

I call BS here. A book is graded on it's own merits. If they entire print run has a stress mark on the spine...... Then there are simply no 9.8's or better of the book in existence.

Kind of like when you told your mom..... "Everybody else was doing it" That doesn't make it right.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

I call BS here. A book is graded on it's own merits. If they entire print run has a stress mark on the spine...... Then there are simply no 9.8's or better of the book in existence.

Kind of like when you told your mom..... "Everybody else was doing it" That doesn't make it right.

A voice of reason... and my sentiments exactly. What a scheme.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

this, so many times over..

It really makes a mockery of the whole process. Can see every time a new hot book comes out cgc forumites are posting pics asking
' do you all have books with x, y, z defects. Hopefully cgc recognises it so I can get my 9.8.. I'll call and ask if they recognise it yet and I won't send my book until they do `

Just grade the book exactly as it is... If there are no books of a particular issue that grade 9.8 so be it.

At least there would be some kind of consistency
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
It was an ebay listing, when I posted it on my facebook, the owner posted a better pic, not knowing he was on the same forum.

His scanner was dirty.

He revised his ebay listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bitch-Planet-1-1-10-Variant-Cover-CGC-9-8-SS-De-Landro-Clowes-Deconnick-NM-M/142670664215?hash=item2137d59217:g:4c8AAOSwJ71abO9v:rk:9:pf:0

Apologies to the guy
. Freaky piece of dirt that looks EXACTLY like a spine tick? Hope he didn't doctor the revised image
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

X1000

Nothing like breaking the rules for a buck. Everyone holds off on submitting the damaged books until CGC says hey no problem we will ignore your defects.

B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I should show you my cbcs 9.8s which may not even grade 9.6 if sent into cgc...

Show then. CBCS low 9.8s are extremely rare. CGC grading is all over the place on high grade moderns. Its a crapshoot.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've received books from both companies at 9.8 that can be questionable at times. My New Teen Titans #2 that was graded at a 9.6 from CGC was regraded by CBCS as a 9.8 with a dinged corner on the front cover. Conversely, a Spectacular Spider-Man #27 was a CGC 9.8 while CBCS regraded it as a 9.6, with some very small spine ticks. I'm sure I have other examples of inconsistencies.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Your opinion but not how CBCS and CGC grade
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
I have a detective 880 that I bought at CGC 9.8. I wanted to crack it at Fan Expo and get Jock and Snyder to sign it. I brought it to CGC, and they said they would strongly advise against it because they were positive it would not come back 9.8 again, and had no idea how it got a 9.8 in the first place.

Every company has their off days.
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize the same man that was part of the decision to take into account printing defects, and their impact on the final grade, is also the primary grader here at CBCS.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
I have a detective 880 that I bought at CGC 9.8. I wanted to crack it at Fan Expo and get Jock and Snyder to sign it. I brought it to CGC, and they said they would strongly advise against it because they were positive it would not come back 9.8 again, and had no idea how it got a 9.8 in the first place.

Every company has their off days.
and doesn't that defeat the whole point of grading

You purchase a graded slab for peace of mind of the quality of the book has been accurately recorded

These companies can't say ' meh, off day'... The whole business revolves around accurate grading and peace of mind for transactions between buyers and sellers

If they can't even have proper QA to double check submissions before they exit the builing then it will catch up

Allowing subjectivity into the process such as the ' known defect' pass simply encourages these types of 'mistakes' to occur target than keeping to objective, scoring and cross checking

Happy to stay with my top loaders until one of these companies can actually get this right
Post 15 IP   flag post
They'll never get it right because its subjective by its very nature. You absolutely cannot remove that. Its not a science here; We aren't measuring width or height using a micrometer here.

Its the judgement of a human being following a set of rules determined by another human being, with stipulations based on external factors. Good luck ever getting that perfect.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Let's not forget all these ' off day' 9.8 in the pool simply devalue value of legit 9.8 as they pad out the numbers in the census

Likewise recognising common defects does exactly the same thing... Can't go unicorn hunting for the only 9.8 or there as everyone has 'participation trophy' 9.8
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
They'll never get it right because its subjective by its very nature. You absolutely cannot remove that. Its not a science here; We aren't measuring width or height using a micrometer here.

Its the judgement of a human being following a set of rules determined by another human being, with stipulations based on external factors. Good luck ever getting that perfect.
but in this day and age, there is no reason they couldn't.

They could take high resolution photo or scan and plenty of software to measure defects that spotted by the eye.

You would think the goal of these companies is to absolutely minimise subjectivity.... To prove they offer the most accurate and fair grading out there.

If I want subjectivity i drop comics on the desk at a LCS I've never been to before I leave them in a box at a garage sale. If I'm paying for something to be graded and encapsulated with the grade by professionals in the field, I would EXPECT they are being as objective and as scientific as they can and double checking to make sure nothing leaves the building incorrectly graded.

JIMHO
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize the same man that was part of the decision to take into account printing defects, and their impact on the final grade, is also the primary grader here at CBCS.

There is difference in opinion between them now. Borock does not give out nearly as many passes as CGC does now on moderns with these so-called printing defects. I can see why, as it gives the company a bad name releasing 9.8s on damaged books
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is difference in opinion between them now. Borock does not give out nearly as many passes as CGC does now on moderns with these so-called printing defects. I can see why, as it gives the company a bad name releasing 9.8s on damaged books

Was this made public?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics yeah there was an interview a while back where the issue came up.

Basically, CBCS giving passes on older books with common printing defects vs tightening up on moderns where there could be plenty of real 9.8s without the defects
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
hm
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1243782365
SMH I can't believe you posted this so many times. Why? For internet forum clout?

Posted what?
Post 23 IP   flag post
On a side note, the guy that listed his book on ebay sounds like a great guy. Love sellers like this:

*I do not charge Handling fees and if you are charged more than it costs for me to ship the item I will refund the difference after I ship the item.

See that? Class act there.

*just noticed hes Canadian (me too!). That explains it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I work in a manufacturing firm.

At the point when a product is fully manufactured, but not distributed or delivered - then any defects to the prescribed requirements is considered a manufacturing defect.

At the point when the finished product leaves the manufacturing facility that is something else that is often called "as delivered". Responsibility may very well still remain with the manufacturer but is not a manufacturing defect. It is a defect that occurs somewhere during the shipping or unpacking (or elsewhere). But to be clear, it is NOT a manufacturing defect.

Once the product is delivered and accepted by the recipient that is another state of completion of the supply chain of a manufactured product.

If someone believes spine tics were created during the manufacture of the product (the comic) in Stage 1 - then I have a bridge to sell you.

Spine tics occur sometime either in stage 2 or 3; but not stage 1. Therefore it is not a manufacturing defect.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If someone believes spine tics were created during the manufacture of the product (the comic) in Stage 1 - then I have a bridge to sell you.

Spine tics occur sometime either in stage 2 or 3; but not stage 1. Therefore it is not a manufacturing defect.

One of the most ridiculous & naive statements ever uttered in the hobby. These are comic books, not machined parts for the space shuttle. It's without question dings and flaws can be, and often are created by the very process of printing them.

Contrary to what many may believe, the majority of comics books ever printed are flawed in someway right off the press, which is exactly what makes finding those rarer 9.8 high grade books so desirable.

How much for the bridge? I'll take two
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

One of the most ridiculous & naive statements ever uttered in the hobby. These are comic books, not machined parts for the space shuttle. It's without question dings and flaws can be, and often are created by the very process of printing them.

Contrary to what many may believe, the majority of comics books ever printed are flawed in someway right off the press, which is exactly what makes finding those rarer 9.8 high grade books so desirable.

How much for the bridge? I'll take two

They're both yours. I got some other garbage too. Interested?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, through probability alone, ticks can happen during pre/post production but admittedly more commonly inside the diamond box.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Diamond treating books.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I agree, through probability alone, ticks can happen during pre/post production but admittedly more commonly inside the diamond box.

Not according to someone on these boards. Anyone who believes spine tics occur post manufacture are naive and ridiculous. In fact it's the most ridiculous and naive thing anyone could ever believe. Clearly! Printing companies have no quality control procedures. Why would they? They're just comic books. Who cares what they come out looking like. Clearly he is right based on his thoughts alone
Post 30 IP   flag post
601304 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?