Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Love of Comic Collecting7662

Collector willlewis78 private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of grading sites,who has some more updated grading info,new collector
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Is there ever a time where you'd pay more than a book is worth simply because you love the book or need the book to finish your run? Or is collecting a calculated investment transaction where you try to get everything you buy for less than its worth?

Does the effort put into amassing a collection have any value when selling the collection? For example, the original Hulk series, 1 through 6. Everything being equal, should the lot of 6 comics purchased in 1 shot command a higher amount than 6 individual transactions? Does the fact that you can immediately satisfy your desire for the complete Hulk series in one transaction mean the seller can charge a premium?

Where high grade GA is concerned fair market value is whatever the market will bear. GA collectors tend to think in terms of the book sought, rather than the set or run. Runs are still achievable, but most GA collector goals are more modest due to limited availability.

Bargaining for books still occurs, but the negotiating range is usually much smaller for rarer books complicated by the degree of demand.

Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
The price is what it costs when I find it. 😄

It all boils down to this statement!

I remember when I was searching and searching and searching for my 1st prints Crow 1,2,3,4...virtually all black covers...trying to find high grade copies with no white color breaks was difficult....when I found them I paid a premium...I didn't care (still don't) because of how hard it was to find.
Post 28 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
For a good, complete copy of STUNTMAN #3 I have no idea what I
would be willing to pay or trade...

Marty
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

Marty

Don't be afraid to make a low ball offer. Tell the seller you own 19 copies and want to buy every known copy in existence.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
I enjoy the hunt so I usually won't pay more than a book is worth. I have over paid from time to time if a book has been particularly difficult to locate, has been on my list for a long time or the most likely reason; I'm giving it as a present.

I don't buy completed sets because that isn't fun for me.

i have some set i like to complete, it bothers me when there is one or two issue missing in the run. i like to get them all in NM conduction. but not pay lot for them, unless it some comic that hard to find and rare, a good example. is my Shi the way of the warrior 1-12, i have ever reg, ashcan, Variants edition out there. thats 38 books all together mins 1 missing. one can't not find anywhere for the past 25+ years rare.
Shi the way of the warrior 1 Antiquities Edition.

if i could find it this would be completed.

Remember a comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Marty

Don't be afraid to make a low ball offer. Tell the seller you own 19 copies and want to buy every known copy in existence.

In this case I'm not even sure a copy of STUNTMAN #3 really exists.

Marty
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Over the last 33 years I have built a run of the original Turok books begun in 1954 that ran into early 1980....golden age to bronze, and from Four color, to Dell, to Gold key and ending with Whitman. Particularly difficult run to build, and even harder to find in nice shape for the golden age books.So worth it however when you find them....many were painted covers, and wrapped around to the back and sometimes included a folded panel inside the front cover as well.Finding those in nice shape or perhaps as double covers inspired few purchases well past sanity. Even commissioned a diorama of the characters,as far as I know the only one in existence.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I actually enjoyed building my high grade complete run of the Bronze age Nova run. I did it all from LCS and comic book shows. I cannot tell you how many beat up copies of those are out there. I am doing the same now with my bronze age Eternals run. Especially after picking up the #1 at a reasonable price at a show a couple months back.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
STUNTMAN #3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Marty

In this case I'm not even sure a copy of STUNTMAN #3 really exists.

Marty

GCD says this about it:

'Harry Mendryk (of the Kirby Museum / Simon & Kirby blog) on July 27 2012 on the Mort Meskin mailing list said that this story was "All Joe Simon". He did not indicate if this included the scripting.'

I would contact the Kirby museum to see if I could get more info.
Since there is no color cover image at the GCD and they do have an image, my first guess would be that it was a remaindered comic or published years later after the series ended by someone who owned the original art. GCD's listing for #3 has info about #'s 1-2. That seems screwy to me. Regardless, GCD say's its 5 1/2" x 8 1/2". That'd be the size of office paper folded in half. It sound like a home-made fanzine and not an actual Harvey publication.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. I just pulled the trigger on this. I slept on it because the previous owner’s bottom line was a little over what I wanted to pay, the condition is even below my target grade.

But this book is hard-to-find even in this kind of shape. As such, it’s a nice place holder until I find an 8.0+ copy.

Post 36 IP   flag post
601274 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?