Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Love of Comic Collecting7662

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Is there ever a time where you'd pay more than a book is worth simply because you love the book or need the book to finish your run? Or is collecting a calculated investment transaction where you try to get everything you buy for less than its worth?

Does the effort put into amassing a collection have any value when selling the collection? For example, the original Hulk series, 1 through 6. Everything being equal, should the lot of 6 comics purchased in 1 shot command a higher amount than 6 individual transactions? Does the fact that you can immediately satisfy your desire for the complete Hulk series in one transaction mean the seller can charge a premium?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I've always felt that bundled items should be discounted slightly or at the bare minimum, be the combined price of the individual items. Idk that I would ever pay more ffor them all together than I would be willing to pay individually (just because they were together).

That being said, yes I have overpaid for books because I wanted them for my collection.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
If I want something and it's not a common item, I will pay more than something is worth. Hulk #1-6 would sell for more separately.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
on the same page as kyoung, when I'm ready ready to sell my hulk 1-6, I'm going to sell as a set, the value of 1 and 2, throw in the rest. As far as overspending on books. Mainly if it is on a book that rarely comes up, I'll definitely spend more
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
definitely paid more than FMV for certain books
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
So there is no monetary value in the effort one takes to put runs or a collection together. We do it because we love doing it and that's it's own reward.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
So there is no monetary value in the effort one takes to put runs or a collection together. We do it because we love doing it and that's it's own reward.

Sets appeal more to people who want reading copies.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
definitely paid more than FMV for certain books

Me too!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day putting together a set was extremely hard, not like today, most books are readily available, so I think it is our own reward. GAC, you picked a great logo, Batman 227 is one of my favorite cover, outside of a Tec 31
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Back in the day putting together a set was extremely hard, not like today, most books are readily available, so I think it is our own reward. GAC, you picked a great logo, Batman 227 is one of my favorite cover, outside of a Tec 31

Agreed!! pre-internet one could have possibly charged a premium for runs but not anymore..good point!!

Thanks for the logo comment...Neal Adams' cover is a classic as is 31.
Post 10 IP   flag post
When I had Neil Adams sign mine, had him sign it in the lower right hand corner as if it were a piece of art
(Which it is)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

Yeah...I put 99% of my Teen Titans run (BB54 to first few issues of 1984 series) together by going to comic shops and shows to find books in the condition/price range I wanted, now with a big enough budget I could do it from my desk in a night!!

Not quite the same thrill as flipping through to get to the number you are looking for and finding that it is there rather than a hole in yet another bin!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I'd overpay for items necessary to complete a specific set or for items with personal sentimental value.

For example, I've been trying to track down a copy of the Aliens/Predator Deadliest of the Species silver ashcan. If it wasn't for the fact that I've seen one, I would believe these reside in the land of rainbow unicorns; its not just years, I haven't seen one in decades. If I find one, I'd be willing to pay over FMV just to finish out the set.
Post 13 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Is there ever a time where you'd pay more than a book is worth simply because you love the book or need the book to finish your run?

Absolutely. Done it many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Or is collecting a calculated investment transaction where you try to get everything you buy for less than its worth?

To me, that wouldn't be collecting. That would be investing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Does the fact that you can immediately satisfy your desire for the complete Hulk series in one transaction mean the seller can charge a premium?

The seller could, and most likely would, charge a premium. However, some buyers might balk at the higher price. As for my own opinion, as long as the increase seemed reasonable, I'd consider paying a premium to get the Hulk #1-6 as a set.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Always pay under FMV, it keeps the hunt alive which is 80% of the fun...
Post 15 IP   flag post
The hunt is fun but the catch is the ultimate goal. I actually want to own what I'm hunting.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
The fair market value for anything is also debatable from day to day. I bid in the auctions every week and never even use a price guide or market trend. I bid what I am willing to pay for the books and if I get them fine...if not, always another week. Now and then I get a mindset I am going to get a certain book and just do it...might happen once a month.....a slabbed 9.0 thor 150 or that 8.5-9.0 hulk 271 are examples. I could care less what the specific market price is, I go by instinct, although much of that is likely structured in broader terms by overall market trend....meaning you woudnt pay more for Iron man 14 than you would Hulk 3....in most cases.
Makes it easier if you aren't buying variants and modern stuff though for sure.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I find that to get below FMV a raw book is the way to go...also adds an element of russian roulette to the mix!!! Mind you I have some fav sellers and the pics and descriptions are usually bang on!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I don't normally pay more than Overstreet Guide value unless it is a comic I really need to complete a run. My first go to is normally eBay, certain sellers I continue to buy from because the quality and price are to my liking. I live in a smaller city so conventions are rare and there is only 1 comic shop and the back issue supply is minimal.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Why pay more for a run if you can hunt them individually and get them for FMV or a little less? Bulk buys should be cheaper.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy the hunt so I usually won't pay more than a book is worth. I have over paid from time to time if a book has been particularly difficult to locate, has been on my list for a long time or the most likely reason; I'm giving it as a present.

I don't buy completed sets because that isn't fun for me.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
The books I'm searching out usually are key issues that aren't as hard to find and generally don't overpay on market value. I had been searching for an X-Men #4 (1st Omega Red) for a long time knowing that I could find one online on ebay in seconds for $25-30, but part of the fun is the hunt...I finally snagged one in NM condition for $5 last weekend in a random bin....same goes for the Die! Die! Die! Gold I snagged last weekend, I had been hunting for it, but didn't want to pay $50-$70 on ebay...snagged it last weekend at the show for $10.

Part of the fun is hunting these books down and finding them...

The only time I think I've knowingly overpaid for a book is when it's a surprise modern key issue and the LCS has sold out and I have a feeling it's going to be worth it in the long run...
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
I enjoy the hunt so I usually won't pay more than a book is worth. I have over paid from time to time if a book has been particularly difficult to locate, has been on my list for a long time or the most likely reason; I'm giving it as a present.

I don't buy completed sets because that isn't fun for me.

That word worth is rather complicated....worth determined by who,how or using what criteria? Overstreet which is six months behind before it sees a release date, or some web site that may/may not fairly track pricing and may/may not suffer some conflicts of interest in promoting certain books? Trending on Ebay perhaps? For me a books worth is nothing more than what I would pay for it that day....anything too expensive is priceless and anything over my price is ...overpriced
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Some of the stuff I collect is very rare, and worthless to many collectors. I’ve paid upwards of 10X guide for books that I really wanted for myself and searched years to find a single copy.

I will likely never recoup that money, but I wanted it all the same. File it under “entertainment expenses”
Post 24 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Same here. The books I collect are generally hard to find in high grade. When I do find them I'll pay whatever to get them. I usually try to haggle down the price, but in the end, if I want it, I'll pay for it. Market prices don't generally mean anything. The price is what it costs when I find it. 😄
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector willlewis78 private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of grading sites,who has some more updated grading info,new collector
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Is there ever a time where you'd pay more than a book is worth simply because you love the book or need the book to finish your run? Or is collecting a calculated investment transaction where you try to get everything you buy for less than its worth?

Does the effort put into amassing a collection have any value when selling the collection? For example, the original Hulk series, 1 through 6. Everything being equal, should the lot of 6 comics purchased in 1 shot command a higher amount than 6 individual transactions? Does the fact that you can immediately satisfy your desire for the complete Hulk series in one transaction mean the seller can charge a premium?

Where high grade GA is concerned fair market value is whatever the market will bear. GA collectors tend to think in terms of the book sought, rather than the set or run. Runs are still achievable, but most GA collector goals are more modest due to limited availability.

Bargaining for books still occurs, but the negotiating range is usually much smaller for rarer books complicated by the degree of demand.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
The price is what it costs when I find it. 😄

It all boils down to this statement!

I remember when I was searching and searching and searching for my 1st prints Crow 1,2,3,4...virtually all black covers...trying to find high grade copies with no white color breaks was difficult....when I found them I paid a premium...I didn't care (still don't) because of how hard it was to find.
Post 28 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
For a good, complete copy of STUNTMAN #3 I have no idea what I
would be willing to pay or trade...

Marty
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
For a good, complete copy of STUNTMAN #3 I have no idea what I
would be willing to pay or trade...

Marty

Don't be afraid to make a low ball offer. Tell the seller you own 19 copies and want to buy every known copy in existence.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?