Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector f22c private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys, new to this forum. I ran into a book with the following notes and it seems redundant/confusing to me:

"Front cover detached bottom staple"
"Cover detached top staple"

1) “Front cover detached bottom staple”
Does this mean that the front cover is detached from the bottom staple? Or does this mean that the bottom staple is detached from the front cover… Or isn’t that the same thing?

2) “Cover detached top staple”
Does this mean that the cover is detached from the top staple only but not the bottom staple?

These two notes are on the same comic book; that makes me believe that it sounds like the cover is completely detached from the comic book, if that makes any sense, lol. Please help! Thanks guys!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
My guess - the cover is being held on by the bottom staple attaching the back cover to the rest of the comic. There is just a shred of paper from the back cover under that staple. Otherwise the cover would be completely detached.
Post 2 IP   flag post
That could make sense....Don't know why they wouldn't just say, Cover being held on my lower back staple only. haha.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
What Jesse said. If you have seen it you realize it is hard to describe with words (in this case a picture is worth a thousand words)

The bottom staple is detached - torn thru - the front of the cover but still valiantly hanging onto the back cover by a tiny bit of paper under the staple itself.

The cover is completely detached from the top staple.

Slabbing this book is a good idea. Otherwise at some point someone opens the book and the back cover detaches as well
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
What Jesse said. If you have seen it you realize it is hard to describe with words (in this case a picture is worth a thousand words)

The bottom staple is detached - torn thru - the front of the cover but still valiantly hanging onto the back cover by a tiny bit of paper under the staple itself.

The cover is completely detached from the top staple.

Slabbing this book is a good idea. Otherwise at some point someone opens the book and the back cover detaches as well

Thanks for that. Would I assume, that if I reslabbed it, the new guy won't accidentally rip it off?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
If you send it in for a reholder to the same grading company - say the current holder is chipped or scratched - then it would receive the same grade because the book is not regraded. It's removed from the old holder and placed in a new one.

Getting the book regraded is a very high risk proposition. The restoration detection expert especially HAS TO as part of the inspection open the book wide, looking for glue, reinforcement at the staples, etc. And even the graders have to count pages and look for tears, coupons cut out and the like.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
If you send it in for a reholder to the same grading company - say the current holder is chipped or scratched - then it would receive the same grade because the book is not regraded. It's removed from the old holder and placed in a new one.

Getting the book regraded is a very high risk proposition. The restoration detection expert especially HAS TO as part of the inspection open the book wide, looking for glue, reinforcement at the staples, etc. And even the graders have to count pages and look for tears, coupons cut out and the like.

Even if the book is currently slabbed and the notes already say that the cover is barely hanging on...they wouldn't be held somewhat liable if it came off? Just trying to figure out what my "insurance" would be if I send it to a different grader.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22c
Quote:

Even if the book is currently slabbed and the notes already say that the cover is barely hanging on...they wouldn't be held somewhat liable if it came off? Just trying to figure out what my "insurance" would be if I send it to a different grader.

Knowing what you know about the book why would you take that chance?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Wanna get it slabbed by the “other guy” to match the series
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
My guess - the cover is being held on by the bottom staple attaching the back cover to the rest of the comic. There is just a shred of paper from the back cover under that staple. Otherwise the cover would be completely detached.
This is exactly what the notes mean.

Quote:
Would I assume, that if I reslabbed it, the new guy won't accidentally rip it off?
No grading company will guarantee you that the cover couldn't possibly become completely detached if it's cracked out to be re-graded. When it comes to books that have defects of this nature you can't say with any amount of certainty that it couldn't happen.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:

Quote:
Would I assume, that if I reslabbed it, the new guy won't accidentally rip it off?
No grading company will guarantee you that the cover couldn't possibly become completely detached if it's cracked out to be re-graded. When it comes to books that have defects of this nature you can't say with any amount of certainty that it couldn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:

Quote:

Understood, but wouldn't they at least be held liable for it? What's the difference between this situation and giving them a more robust copy and they accidentally pulled the cover off? Due to the fragility, they're *less liable?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
They would not be held legally liable due to this disclaimer in the terms and conditions set forth by CBCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terms and conditions
IN NO EVENT SHALL CBCS OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, OR ANY OF ITS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO CUSTOMER OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES,

However, CBCS DOES say this:

Quote:
CBCS will use reasonable care with respect to items submitted to it for Services. However, in the event CBCS determines an item was lost or damaged while in CBCS' possession, CBCS will compensate Customer based upon CBCS' good faith determination of the fair market value of the item, in light of what CBCS believes to be reliable current market information. The amount of the compensation will not necessarily be based upon, but in no event will exceed, Customer's stated insured value of the item set forth in this Submission Form.

I want to make a point here. Notice that it says "Customer's stated insured value". This is why it is important to NOT skimp on insurance when you are sending comics in. If you insure the comic for $50 and something horrific happens to it, you're not going to be able to claim it as a $300 book. Well, I suppose you can claim anything you want. But by insuring it for $50, you are basically saying that is its' value and CBCS has every right to go by that. I don't know if they will deviate or not, but according to their written T&C, that is all they are legally bound to pay.

Also, I haven't checked it out, but I believe this type of wording is used by any and all grading companies. It's pretty standard.

The proper handling of comics is why CBCS is so careful about who they hire. Hiring temps or people who are there to just punch a clock doesn't cut it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Well stated Mr. O.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
They would not be held legally liable due to this disclaimer in the terms and conditions set forth by CBCS.

Quote:
IN NO EVENT SHALL CBCS OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, OR ANY OF ITS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO CUSTOMER OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES,

However, CBCS DOES say this:

Quote:
CBCS will use reasonable care with respect to items submitted to it for Services. However, in the event CBCS determines an item was lost or damaged while in CBCS' possession, CBCS will compensate Customer based upon CBCS' good faith determination of the fair market value of the item, in light of what CBCS believes to be reliable current market information. The amount of the compensation will not necessarily be based upon, but in no event will exceed, Customer's stated insured value of the item set forth in this Submission Form.

I want to make a point here. Notice that it says "Customer's stated insured value". This is why it is important to NOT skimp on insurance when you are sending comics in. If you insure the comic for $50 and something horrific happens to it, you're not going to be able to claim it as a $300 book. Well, I suppose you can claim anything you want. But by insuring it for $50, you are basically saying that is its' value and CBCS has every right to go by that. I don't know if they will deviate or not, but according to their written T&C, that is all they are legally bound to pay.

Also, I haven't checked it out, but I believe this type of wording is used by any and all grading companies. It's pretty standard.

The proper handling of comics is why CBCS is so careful about who they hire. Hiring temps or people who are there to just punch a clock doesn't cut it.

Thanks, all very helpful.
Post 14 IP   flag post
597874 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?