Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Customer Service Has Spoken.7566

Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all!

Up front I’d like to extend my thanks to @Jake_Fleming, @SteveRickets, and the other CBCS staff & moderators who have done what they can to provide updates & information. After today’s conversation I have a better understanding of what you’re working with, and will concede that your efforts on our behalf have been under-appreciated. My offer to buy the first round, or ship a bottle of Kentucky’s finest export with my next submission, still stands.

Having spoken with Customer Service at length, I can put out the following information from our conversation:

There is/was an error with the phone system; calls should not have been dropped. It is being worked on. The customer service phone line *does* work. That being said, CBCS would greatly appreciate if customer service calls can be held to billing inquiries, address/shipping updates, questions regarding services (ASP/VSP/Pressing/etc.), or other non-status-update related calls. Currently Jake is the only guy burning down the voicemail box & answering the phones; he will be getting help starting next week. However, the new Customer Service department staff, Mrs. Kendra, will need some time to get up to speed.

My two cents, let’s give them a chance to get the important billing/shipping info stuff under control. Nobody wants books in limbo due to billing issues, or worse, sent to an old address.

I have been assured that the customer service e-mails are being answered as best they can. Again, the focus is on answering priority billing & address/shipping updates & submission questions first. For anyone who thinks they are having problems getting e-mail through, I’m a Gmail user & Jake assured me that on the CBCS end, they have not received any of my e-mails, so Gmail might have some internal gremlins for whatever reason. I’m going to look into that later & will update if I find anything.

For TAT related questions, Jake has assured me the TAT tracker *is* functional & can be relied upon. On the subject of TAT, Jake was kind enough to provide the following information:

Modern, Consumer, and Expanded are significantly behind.

Quickstream, Rapid, 2-Day, & 1-Day submissions are on time. Fast Pass submissions are also on time.

With TAT’s the bottleneck is in production. There are only so many hours in the day, so much equipment available, and so many people qualified/trained to use it. Additional production staff are starting next week, and I was informed they have prior experience, so hopefully they will be up to speed & start helping to work down the backlog ASAP.

Objectively, if you need a short TAT to flip a book for profit or as an occasion/holiday gift, at this point in time, the best thing to do is submit under one of the higher priced tiers. It costs more, but the book(s) will completely sidestep the low cost tier backlog.

A moment to talk about the people. Jake tells me that the people at CBCS have been working like mad to keep things going; his team of guys hasn’t had more than a day off a week since June/July. From our talk, and some of the comments I’ve read in the forum, I gather the rest of the company is much the same way. They’re people too guys; kids, families, friends, they are not just slab production robots. They’re exasperated, bordering on burnout, and it’s showing. I’m guilty of focusing too much on the company & forgetting about the people behind it, for which I apologize. Ya’ll need time to spend with loved ones & deserve time for personal enjoyment too.

With Conventions going forward, there may be some news on that end in the future. As many of you know, “the other guys” at CGC entered into an exclusive service agreement with ReedPop, which has locked CBCS out of on-site participation at Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC, Seattle), Comic Convention & Entertainemnt Expo (C2E2, Chicago), & NYCC (New York). CGC has also taken additional steps to rent out off site venues to prevent CBCS from maintaining a convenient off-site presence (dirty pool). The exclusivity contract between CGC & ReedPop May expire this year, allowing CBCS to attend these & other ReedPop promotions in the future. More to come as it develops.

We did discuss the infrequent communication between CBCS staff & the consumers; be it through Facebook, Twitter, or here in the forums. Jake acknowledged that CBCS does not have much in the way of social media presence, but that there are other more important things to address at this time. My suggestion was for a YouTube video from staff to ya (consumers) with an update on company status, upcoming changes/events, and a FAQ response based on the feedback CBCS has been getting. Jake said he would send the idea up the chain.

I’m not an employee, nor do I have a vested interest beyond being a consumer to the tune of about $10k/year in grading, and a notable pain in the butt. This is based only on conversation(s) w/ Jake & a couple of forum back & forths w/ Steve Rickets. As previously stated, Jake Fleming has always been polite, professional, and done his best to facilitate fixing whatever issues I’ve brought to his attention. Mr. Rickets & his pressing team have worked miracles with the books I’ve sent his way; I can’t think of anything but good things to say about him & his department.

I’m not the most patient guy in the world, and again, I apologize for reaching into my toolbox of evil first before waiting a couple days for a response. I’m going to do something out of character here & ask everyone to give them time & space over the next couple of months to get them backlog down, the IT stuff straightened out, and back into the groove.

My opinion, I could be wrong.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BSeldin305 private msg quote post Address this user
1) I wish this was disclosed at the time of purchase; and
2) what does "significantly behind" mean?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@BSeldin305 per my conversation w/ Jake, it depends on your tier. For moderns w/ no add-ones, 6-8 weeks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Just a quick note from me on this topic. I know the "Additional production staff" and "Mrs Kendra" a bit. They have both been big supporters of CBCS since the early days. Recently, they have both worked the CBCS booth at numerous conventions!!! They are eager to get get to work and pitch in to make CBCS the company we all want!!

And I also know that everyone currently employed at CBCS are working MAJOR overtime right now and have been since the move (some even before the move). Some of these people ARE my friends. I have held my tongue a LOT these last few weeks. Just know that they ALL DO CARE about what they are doing and they are doing what they can without burning out!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament Thanks for this. I knew with the move and people getting into a new home there would be a lot of things they might have to take off to take care of. I didn't realize there was only one person responding to emails. Sometimes I run my mouth a little and I knew CBCS cared, I just didn't know how short staffed everything is. Im glad to see things are going to improve.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks @Jesse_O, you were one of the guys I wanted to tag up top. Mind if I copy/paste your NYCC stuff from the TAT thread in here?

@Jesse_O : If that's all you need ... here ya go. I'm sure they can help you out.

"Genuine COA will be walking the floor of NYCC 2018 in order to facilitate signature witnessing for CBCS Comics grading. We will also have a witness available for the nearby MARVELOCITY signing happening adjacent to the convention center. This opportunity will allow you to get a CBCS yellow label for signatures that happen at NYCC and accompanying events.

We will also still be accepting in-person submissions for our BACK ISSUE ICONS private signings with JOHN ROMITA SR, SAL BUSCEMA and JIM STERANKO which will follow NYCC. This is a unique opportunity for attendess to drop books off for signatures from these classic creators, or even add their signature to those acquired at the convention.

To take advantage of any of these remarkable opportunities, message Genuine COA on Facebook or contact at info@genuinecoa.com . Be sure to like our GCOA - CBCS Signing Ops group on Facebook to catch any exclusive offers or content as they are posted live from the show."
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector IcantfindwhatIwant private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament Thanks for sharing the information.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BSeldin305 private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament Thank you for the info. These are modern, ASP books that have been gone for 4 months +. I was concerned they were lost; so I am relieved to know they are in a lengthy queue. So there should be something posted somewhere on social media (Did I miss it?) Hey, check the CBCS chatroom for FAQ". I found this thread by googling "Whats going on with CBCS".

I dropped off 2 books at the Rob Liefeld Experience at MegaCon (5/26). For whatever reason, CBCS was the only grading company you could use. So I would have used them anyway, but I would have paid the fast pass fee if I was given a hint of the magnitude of the delay.

But, OK, I will shut up now and let these folks work.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
@BSeldin305 For what it is worth, At Mega Con we had no idea the move would cause as many issues as it did. If we had known we would have shared that info.

It wasn't until Middle June we started to realize we were going to have bigger issues then thought.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
It would be great with all the complaints or grumbling (me included). That we could get a monthly update from someone in the know. Nothing to extensive just a basic update to keep the bitching under control.. you know a little reassurance that they’re moving forward and we’re trying. That would hopefully reassure “most” of us. I put this to Steve Rickets in a post on pressing today
Example... in August we shipped 1000 books
In September we shipped 1100 books and lowered are TAT’s by three days. Encouraging yes. Something that simple and truthful would probably do wonders.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament where was my shoutout bro?!?! lol jk glad you got to talk to Jake and get some concerns cleared up
Post 11 IP   flag post
I’ve poked the Komodo a couple of times to bring you this information, so I’m probably going to end up on a gold card at Sister Margret’s. Or, as I said to Jake earlier, if my slabs come back full of ashes, I won’t really be able to take it too personally.

However, before that happens, allow me to point out that @RyanHicks is also a font of useful knowledge, and occasional provider of insight into the arcane inner workings of CBCS.

@Gotlift I made that suggestion earlier, a YouTube video or regular/monthly State of the Company post via social media or here in the forums would go a long way to alleviate consternation. Jake said he would feed it up the chain, but was clear that they have higher priorities at the moment. Give it time & see how it works out.
Post 12 IP   flag post
On the subject of a YouTube video update, they did one Facebook Live video in June, 2017.

Borock, Stephan, Ricketts video

I know it's not the same, but it does go to show that they are willing to go that route.
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS Kendra_H private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to getting started and hopefully we can make life better for everyone!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum @Kendra_H
Post 15 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks thanks
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra_H
Looking forward to getting started and hopefully we can make life better for everyone!!
It's about time you & Darryl did something productive. :P
Post 17 IP   flag post
@TimBildhauser Darryl productive???
Post 18 IP   flag post
LOL!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
CGC has also taken additional steps to rent out off site venues to prevent CBCS from maintaining a convenient off-site presence (dirty pool)

I asked one of the CGC guys at their booth today about this rumor.

He was very amused and incredulous. He said that was not true, adding "What are we supposed to do? Rent out every hotel and restaurant in New York City?"
Post 20 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great thread and post and it's about time theres positivity about the move on here but I have a question. Did anyone really believe that everyone at CBCS are not busting their asses to get TATs under control? Seriously, this is a legit company, and I would have bet my last dollar that everyone is trying to move heaven and earth to get TATs back in line. Why wouldn't they?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@Kendra_H He has his moments.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@robertofredrico They asked Al Capone if he cheated on his taxes too. Those who survived the question were told “of course not!”

Just sayin’.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Hello all!

Up front I’d like to extend my thanks to @Jake_Fleming, @SteveRickets, and the other CBCS staff & moderators who have done what they can to provide updates & information. After today’s conversation I have a better understanding of what you’re working with, and will concede that your efforts on our behalf have been under-appreciated. My offer to buy the first round, or ship a bottle of Kentucky’s finest export with my next submission, still stands.

Having spoken with Customer Service at length, I can put out the following information from our conversation:

There is/was an error with the phone system; calls should not have been dropped. It is being worked on. The customer service phone line *does* work. That being said, CBCS would greatly appreciate if customer service calls can be held to billing inquiries, address/shipping updates, questions regarding services (ASP/VSP/Pressing/etc.), or other non-status-update related calls. Currently Jake is the only guy burning down the voicemail box & answering the phones; he will be getting help starting next week. However, the new Customer Service department staff, Mrs. Kendra, will need some time to get up to speed.

My two cents, let’s give them a chance to get the important billing/shipping info stuff under control. Nobody wants books in limbo due to billing issues, or worse, sent to an old address.

I have been assured that the customer service e-mails are being answered as best they can. Again, the focus is on answering priority billing & address/shipping updates & submission questions first. For anyone who thinks they are having problems getting e-mail through, I’m a Gmail user & Jake assured me that on the CBCS end, they have not received any of my e-mails, so Gmail might have some internal gremlins for whatever reason. I’m going to look into that later & will update if I find anything.

For TAT related questions, Jake has assured me the TAT tracker *is* functional & can be relied upon. On the subject of TAT, Jake was kind enough to provide the following information:

Modern, Consumer, and Expanded are significantly behind.

Quickstream, Rapid, 2-Day, & 1-Day submissions are on time. Fast Pass submissions are also on time.

With TAT’s the bottleneck is in production. There are only so many hours in the day, so much equipment available, and so many people qualified/trained to use it. Additional production staff are starting next week, and I was informed they have prior experience, so hopefully they will be up to speed & start helping to work down the backlog ASAP.

Objectively, if you need a short TAT to flip a book for profit or as an occasion/holiday gift, at this point in time, the best thing to do is submit under one of the higher priced tiers. It costs more, but the book(s) will completely sidestep the low cost tier backlog.

A moment to talk about the people. Jake tells me that the people at CBCS have been working like mad to keep things going; his team of guys hasn’t had more than a day off a week since June/July. From our talk, and some of the comments I’ve read in the forum, I gather the rest of the company is much the same way. They’re people too guys; kids, families, friends, they are not just slab production robots. They’re exasperated, bordering on burnout, and it’s showing. I’m guilty of focusing too much on the company & forgetting about the people behind it, for which I apologize. Ya’ll need time to spend with loved ones & deserve time for personal enjoyment too.

With Conventions going forward, there may be some news on that end in the future. As many of you know, “the other guys” at CGC entered into an exclusive service agreement with ReedPop, which has locked CBCS out of on-site participation at Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC, Seattle), Comic Convention & Entertainemnt Expo (C2E2, Chicago), & NYCC (New York). CGC has also taken additional steps to rent out off site venues to prevent CBCS from maintaining a convenient off-site presence (dirty pool). The exclusivity contract between CGC & ReedPop May expire this year, allowing CBCS to attend these & other ReedPop promotions in the future. More to come as it develops.

We did discuss the infrequent communication between CBCS staff & the consumers; be it through Facebook, Twitter, or here in the forums. Jake acknowledged that CBCS does not have much in the way of social media presence, but that there are other more important things to address at this time. My suggestion was for a YouTube video from staff to ya (consumers) with an update on company status, upcoming changes/events, and a FAQ response based on the feedback CBCS has been getting. Jake said he would send the idea up the chain.

I’m not an employee, nor do I have a vested interest beyond being a consumer to the tune of about $10k/year in grading, and a notable pain in the butt. This is based only on conversation(s) w/ Jake & a couple of forum back & forths w/ Steve Rickets. As previously stated, Jake Fleming has always been polite, professional, and done his best to facilitate fixing whatever issues I’ve brought to his attention. Mr. Rickets & his pressing team have worked miracles with the books I’ve sent his way; I can’t think of anything but good things to say about him & his department.

I’m not the most patient guy in the world, and again, I apologize for reaching into my toolbox of evil first before waiting a couple days for a response. I’m going to do something out of character here & ask everyone to give them time & space over the next couple of months to get them backlog down, the IT stuff straightened out, and back into the groove.

My opinion, I could be wrong.

You are most definitely wrong. Amazing how your tune has changed with a conversation. Most disappointing.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
I think CBCS customers are the dumbest on the planet, myself included.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_Comics
@BSeldin305 For what it is worth, At Mega Con we had no idea the move would cause as many issues as it did. If we had known we would have shared that info.

It wasn't until Middle June we started to realize we were going to have bigger issues then thought.

Honestly, this has been going on since the summer of 2017. The convention season was overwhelming in 2017, and they stopped outsourcing their pressing and that bottlenecked things. Then hurricanes (hitting both their main office and their slab supply chain in Texas), then getting bought out by Beckett, then the move and low-and-behold another convention season is upon them.

It's been Onr thing after another. I'm shocked they still get new business. I stopped sending comics in not so much that I don't want to wait, but I just don't want to pile it on right now. I'd rather spend the money to aquire already slabbed or raw books. I can slab at any time.

And I suspect the reason moderns are so far behind is because EVERYONE is sending their books fast track now because tats are so bad and those keep jumping the line on moderns...

Not trying to bash cbcs. I still prefer them over all others....but just pointing out its been one thing after the other for a while now...maybe if they don't get hit by a tornado they'll get back on track this winter...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Yes it is true CBCS had issues before the move, but we were upright and honest with the turn around times (as we believed them to be at that time)

As a new company ( 4 years old ) we have had our share of growing pains , and The move was a hard lesson, but we are ready to make it right as best and as fast as we can.

Thanks to everyone who supports us and we hope when we are back on track you all will give us another chance.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I think cbcs needs to throw some of their customers a coupon or something. Of course the company is busting their butts because the move and lack of customer service has really had a negative effect on their business. When you screw up as a company, it takes a lot of work to right the ship. Lack of planning and customer service/compensation has turned many customers away. This industry strongly needs competition and right now cbcs is our only hope.

With that said, I am pretty sure when the time arrives to get my first books graded, I will go with them. The employees seem like great people, their prices are very good and slabs are solid.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of sounds like more of the same ole lip service. Action and results talk the loudest.

I think CBCS is going to need a huge customer appreciation event.

I think one of the best things they could do is get rid of the ridiculous memberships offers. Just give me a straight $100 voucher to use how ever I want rather than limiting me with 2-Day moderns and some fast pass crap that I would never use in the first place. PLEASE let me use my membership money how I want.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
my fast pass order must be broken then since it seems to not be working atm
Post 30 IP   flag post
601289 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?