Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help NeededRaw Comics For Sale

Date written on cover grade penalty?7481

Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user
Looking at a key at auction with the date written in ink on the cover corner. What's the typical grade penalty for that?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
According to Overstreet this will not affect grade if it isn't a high grade book, say like something below an 8.0.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Most will still call it mint as long as it is in an unobtrusive location. The grade could be impacted if the date noticeably defaces the cover, written overly large, across Batman’s face, etc. it’s really a judgement call.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
According to CBCS website:

9.6 = Unobtrusive date stamps or arrival dates in pencil or ink are acceptable.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have received 9.6 grades on several books that I submitted that had date stamps on the cover. The stamp is noted on the grader’s notes. I don’t know if I have submitted any books with grease pencil dates scribbled on the cover. Here’s a 9.6 example:

Post 5 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I have received 9.6 grades on several books that I submitted that had date stamps on the cover. The stamp is noted on the grader’s notes. I don’t know if I have submitted any books with grease pencil dates scribbled on the cover.

Here is another example. I actually like the date stamp, and think it's pretty cool. Especially since it doesn't match the "official" date.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid

Gotta love ultra high grade silver age.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Tedsaid

Gotta love ultra high grade silver age.

Yes! I certainly do. This was one of my best finds. Got it on eBay raw two years ago for $40.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Ton's of Edgar Church's books are 9.8 with pencil date/code although I believe they get special treatment. (disclaimer : not my book)

Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Zarbongo - I just purchased a copy of X-Men #9 with four numbers in grease pencil on the cover (in the "X" of the logo) and plan on submitting it to CBCS for grading at a convention in November. It will be interesting to see how the writing will affect the grade.
Post 10 IP   flag post
602148 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?