Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all!

Week 15. Invoice says "submitted." Customer Service expectation for when the books will be ready to ship is "sometime between the end of September or October." Submitted May 27th. In various corners of the forum folks are talking about 20-26+ week TAT's. The only thing I consider worth waiting 5+ months for is a baby. I get that the extra $9/each to get the books back in a timely manner looks great on the company monthly P&L, but $25/book is a bit steep, especially for moderns where I'm putting them on slab for protection so I can display the art. For higher value books I might want to flip someday, I'm pretty much over a barrel, as newton rings are BS that should never have made it past QC. But for display pieces that are going to be wall hangers to decorate the house?

Giving serious consideration to sending them to Oregon: TAT's under 30 days.

Going to do a test case of 10 books, to see how it turns out. Anyone want to wager a True Believer on my getting them back before my May submission to CBCS?

New avatar, decidedly on topic:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament

. . .Giving serious consideration to sending them to Oregon: TAT's under 30 days. . .

Don't do anything you'll regret.
Right now, anything that I want just for my own collection or to display, I'm putting in comic skins or top loaders. Anything I thing I will flip in the future is sitting in a box waiting for either (1) CBCS to get TATs under control or (2) CGC to fix the newton ring problems.

In July, I contacted customer service to check on TATs because I wanted to send a few books in for grading to give as Christmas presents. I was told there was a good chance I wouldn't get the books back in time. So, I'll be giving the books in comic skins the the recipient will be just as happy.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
😂. I just put up some slabs to display. Yes, the cgc has a few Newton ring(if you hold it and tilt it back and forth to find them). Actually the cbcs ones are the worst because of the plastic inside. They are the ones you can’t see clearly through the slab because of light.
That said you’ll probably get a higher gradefrom Pgx then cbcs or cgc! No pgx for me thank you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously do what makes you happiest with your books, but I'd avoid the hassle and expense of sending books to Oregon as they will display just as nice in a mylar with a halfback/fullback.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@steveinthecity I'm somewhat new to this. What do you use to display books that are in a toploader? I have a friend who uses the BCW display frames, but I'm not a fan of the look. Any product recommendations?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
(2) CGC to fix the newton ring problems.

Don't quote me on it but I got back a decent sized submission that had zero Newton rings. The problem *may* have been resolved. Or I got real lucky...
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
some get the newton rings, others do not. depends on thickness of case, and book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke *Snaps Fingers* "...What backlog?"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hello all!

Week 15. Invoice says "submitted." Customer Service expectation for when the books will be ready to ship is "sometime between the end of September or October." Submitted May 27th. In various corners of the forum folks are talking about 20-26+ week TAT's. The only thing I consider worth waiting 5+ months for is a baby. I get that the extra $9/each to get the books back in a timely manner looks great on the company monthly P&L, but $25/book is a bit steep, especially for moderns where I'm putting them on slab for protection so I can display the art. For higher value books I might want to flip someday, I'm pretty much over a barrel, as newton rings are BS that should never have made it past QC. But for display pieces that are going to be wall hangers to decorate the house?

Giving serious consideration to sending them to Oregon: TAT's under 30 days.

Going to do a test case of 10 books, to see how it turns out. Anyone want to wager a True Believer on my getting them back before my May submission to CBCS?

Don't believe the 30 day thing. I have a few clients that use PGX. They are running behind their stated TAT. How far behind I cannot say - PGX doesn't have a forum where such is discussed. But they are not meeting stated TAT by a fair amount.

The bottom line is this. CBCS's only major problem is long TAT's for the least expensive tiers. And jammed up customer service calls/emails because of long TAT. CGC is the company kicking ass where it comes to TAT on the least expensive tiers.

One could argue all the grading companies have strengths and weaknesses.

So it depends on what one values the most. If TAT on the least expensive tiers is the most important thing to you, then CGC offers a compelling value. If the lowest possible price is most important - that's usually (but not always) PGX.

IMHO - it's probably a mistake to focus on JUST ONE ASPECT of what a grading company offers. As Mr. Miyagi taught Daniel in the Karate Kid - "LEARN BALANCE"
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@steveinthecity I'm somewhat new to this. What do you use to display books that are in a toploader? I have a friend who uses the BCW display frames, but I'm not a fan of the look. Any product recommendations?
I really don't formally display books, but a toploader would be easy enough to perch/lean on a ledge or shelf. In lieu of a frame, a custom box somewhat larger than a book with an open or clear front would make a neat display. Like a frame, but sits an 1-2" from the wall.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
There are some good ones online. Also a basic picture frame for my cheaper books. And they make paper ‘stands’ for top loaders. I just switch them out fairly often to minimize any light damage that I guess could occur over a long period of time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@IronMan No kidding 20 days for Moderns, 10 days w/ Fast Track. *swoon*
Post 13 IP   flag post
597930 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?