Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I received this response to a query I made to them about postal submissions :

Hello,
Thank you for your email. The London office is now open and accepting submissions by drop off via appointment only. The pricing for comics can be found below and it included round trip shipping and insurance coverage as all items are shipped to the US for grading. We hope to accept submissions via the mail in the future but do not have definitive plans to do so. Thank you.
Matthew Gens <mgens@ngccoin.com>

The prices are here: https://www.cgccomics.uk/submit/services-fees/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like it would be faster to ship it yourself directly.
Is there a benefit that I'm missing?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy

Maybe a savings on shipping?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:

I can't really see any advantages either time wise or financially against shipping directly to the US oneself.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Redshade Maybe like @KYoung_1974 said, a savings on shipping but that seems like it would be a trade off on the additional TAT by adding additional steps.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
And I was assuming that there wold be some sort of agreement/discounted rate between CGC and the shipping services with the savings passed on to the customer.

If that doesn't exist, then I don't know why you would bother.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Odd.. One would think the whole appeal of an international office is to reduce the biggest huddle for international customers who want their books slabbed... Shipping prices.

Otherwise no point
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
CGC states on a fb post that the benefit is that the books will be fully insured by CGC from when they are received in London.

also - that this is just the first step and they may expand later on including offering grading in London etc

note CGC currently does not allow fast pass or pre-screening for the london submission!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I was curious too, so I chacked out what they had to say about any benefits on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CGCcomics/photos/a.185508971493116/2013321432045185/?type=3&theater
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:

I was curious too, so I chacked out what they had to say about any benefits on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CGCcomics/photos/a.185508971493116/2013321432045185/?type=3&theater

I looked at the facebook site that you linked to and found that some of their comments are incorrect to say the least.

Look at this:

"CGC Comics Hi All. One of the main benefits is that we provide insurance during transit which is not available from the shipping carriers. If you ship directly to the US you would need a business account with a carrier as well as 3rd party insurance if you want coverage for international packages. And Dave, CGC may perform on-site grading in the future if the volume dictates. The first step in the process is to establish our office in London".

This is blatant misinformation. I have sent many packages to the US via the Royal Mail and one can purchase full insurance as a private non-business shipper.

The same is also true of all the major (and minor) international shipping companies.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Oh and by the way the fact that they do not accept postal submissions means that the idea is a non starter. It would cost me 150 quid for a day return train to London.

Business
Help
Register
Sign in

Your search

Your search: Leeds to LondonReturn journey1 adultAdd a railcard

By Train•£153.50•2h 23m

These people really (and I mean REALLY) have not thought this through. It is just not going to be feasible at all.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Why is there an announcement about CGC London here on CBCS chat room? Am I missing some thing here?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Why is there an announcement about CGC London here on CBCS chat room? Am I missing something here?

1. It's general comics news.

2. It shows that the CGC "London Office" is basically a PR stunt with no real application in the real world.

3. Another reason to stick with CBCS.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Why is there an announcement about CGC London here on CBCS chat room? Am I missing some thing here?

CBCS aren't jerks that just go around trying to badmouth the competition and hype only their own service.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I think this may be a bragging rights thing. I suspect CGC management wants to be able to claim international business reach. From my admittedly cynical perspective, it looks like a cheesy way for CGC to appear stronger than it actually is growth-wise.

The London Office notice may be designed to elicit an "atta boy" from U.S. clients and financial backers without risking significant capitol investment. Given this scenario, any serious competition from a European based third party grading company would likely shut down the London office quicker than a declared bank holiday.

Of course, this is just one bloke's opinion, other's mileage may vary.

-Cat
Post 15 IP   flag post
600899 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?