Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Remembering great comics no longer in our collections...7233

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
In 2009, during a rough time I sold all my deadpool. I had a full run of the two mini's, 1-66(?) Of the 1st ongoing, and Agent X, the complete series. I got $450 for it then...needless to say if I'd waited I'd have made more, oh well

Also around same time I sold new mutants 1-100, complete series for $150

*stares into distance
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a nice Schomburg Marvel Mystery (CGC 7.0) I need to replace in grade someday. MM #68 takes the tragedy of a victim getting screwed seriously. While I miss the book, it crops up in higher grade now and then, so at some point a successor will likely have an honored place in my collection...

Post 52 IP   flag post
Another Marvel Mystery traded several years ago as leverage to acquire other books. Vince Alascia just couldn't quite capture Alex Schomburg's flair for the Human Torch & Toro or his style of melting though buildings. This copy of MM #70 graded 7.5 (Cream/OW), but presented better...

Post 53 IP   flag post
This is the Edgar Church copy (9.6) of Science Comics that I let go several years ago, again as part of a trade deal. It's a beautiful book, but after giving it some thought, realized the title wasn't one that I wanted to pursue at the expense of other titles already on my "hunt" list. Great book though...

Post 54 IP   flag post
Here's another great cover, Sub-Mariner #19. This was an older label CGC 7.0 (OW-White) that I parted company with several years ago and have since realized it was a mistake. My intention, then as now, was to upgrade to a VF+ or better (8.5 up); at some point I'm sure that I will, but this Subby doesn't surface often. This copy had great color and little obvious wrong with it (presented much better in hand than graded)...

Post 55 IP   flag post

My copy of Target Comics #5 was a great comic in high grade and nice PQ that I decided not to collect because my collecting focus had targeted elsewhere. Powerful cover art by Bill Everett and an impressive banner design focusing on the lead character White Streak...

Although my curiosity about this series peaked with this book, it still wasn't easy to let go of it when I found something I wanted more.
Post 56 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I miss this one from time to time but it found a good home with a fellow boardie

Post 57 IP   flag post
Quality Comics published National featuring Uncle Sam with outstanding Lou Fine and Will Eisner cover art including a couple of noteworthy masterpieces. Several years ago I decided to let go of two high grade copies of this title in order to make room for other books in my collection.

Here's one of them...

Post 58 IP   flag post
One of my regrets is letting this high grade Weird Science-Fantasy #29 go to auction with the idea of an eventual upgrade. At some point I'll undoubtably replace it with another high grade copy, but for now I'll just sip my ale and toast the new owner...

Post 59 IP   flag post
I let this Joe Simon classic go with some remorse, but knowing it went to a good home...

Post 60 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
looks like a ripoff of The Phantom...
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
One of my regrets is letting this high grade Weird Science-Fantasy #29 go to auction with the idea of an eventual upgrade. At some point I'll undoubtably replace it with another high grade copy, but for now I'll just sip my ale and toast the new owner...

There is a 9.8 File copy up right now on Comic Link but one needs very deep pockets for that copy
Post 62 IP   flag post

Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange
Weird Science-Fantasy #29

I went to search for it but can only find a 1.8 copy do you have a link for that auction?
Post 64 IP   flag post
http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dweird%2Bscience%2Bfantasy%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1097821
Post 65 IP   flag post
One of the top 5 covers from the EC days from what I understand Bill Gaines never owned the cover art
Post 66 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
orlly
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange
One of the top 5 covers from the EC days from what I understand Bill Gaines never owned the cover art

True. The cover was originally drawn for a Buck Rogers comic for another publisher, but this was at the height of the anti-comic hysteria and it was rejected by the publisher as being too violent. The art was touched up a bit to make it a more general sf cover and Gaines offered to publish it for Weird SF. Frazetta agreed with the one condition that the original be returned to him after publication. It is the only EC cover Gaines did not have the original art for.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I sold my Vampirella #3 CGC 9.8 White pages to help pay for my wedding last year. I have since acquired a 9.6 White pages, but it's not the same.

Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Sure wish I had a nice Weird SF 29. Catman, I don’t know how you ever let that one slip away.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Sure wish I had a nice Weird SF 29. Catman, I don’t know how you ever let that one slip away.

It was auctioned off to set aside some extra cash for a relative who was going through a rough spot. As it turned out, the additional cash wasn't needed, but the book had already found a new home. C'est la vie.

My old WSF #29 GFC was a 9.4 with OW/W PQ. It was a sweet book except for the upper-spine color loss. At some point I'll probably replace it with a non-GFC copy in high grade, if one of these beauties ever pops-up again.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Here's the other high grade National Comics that I relinquished several years ago. While I love "Busy" Arnold's Quality Comics and National as a title these two issues just didn't fit into my scheme of collecting. Artistically, the Will Eisner cover is outstanding, but it just isn't iconic enough to join others in the truly memorable category. Also, while National has interesting featured characters (Uncle Sam, Quicksilver & Sally O'Neil), comic relief racial stereotypes (Kid Patrol) have never appealed to me...

Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@X51 1927 (no snarkiness intended, ...it's just that silent films are another area where I tend to be a bit obsessive)

My goal is to quit remembering things like this and quit living in the past. I could have looked at the DVD which I own or done a quick Google search. Thanks for clarification.

Wow. That must create a conflicted situation for a comic collector since collecting at it's heart is based on nostalgia.

Alas, I'm drawn to history like a moth to light. From my perspective historical accuracy is critical to making any case about progress, which I thought was your original point.

My only point about the Black Terror cover was in respect to the coolness of Schomburg's big screen TV visual in post-war 1945. TVs that were available to the public after WWII were far less advanced than that futuristic concept.

Peace, bro.

I completely agree.

Collecting comics at its core is based on nostalgia.

To be honest, right now I'm having a very hard time with that.
I'm having a struggle where I can't stop, but want to.
Some days I just want to sell it all off, other days I enjoy having the books...
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@X51 1927 (no snarkiness intended, ...it's just that silent films are another area where I tend to be a bit obsessive)

My goal is to quit remembering things like this and quit living in the past. I could have looked at the DVD which I own or done a quick Google search. Thanks for clarification.

Wow. That must create a conflicted situation for a comic collector since collecting at it's heart is based on nostalgia.

Alas, I'm drawn to history like a moth to light. From my perspective historical accuracy is critical to making any case about progress, which I thought was your original point.

My only point about the Black Terror cover was in respect to the coolness of Schomburg's big screen TV visual in post-war 1945. TVs that were available to the public after WWII were far less advanced than that futuristic concept.

Peace, bro.

I completely agree.

Collecting comics at its core is based on nostalgia.

To be honest, right now I'm having a very hard time with that.
I'm having a struggle where I can't stop, but want to.
Some days I just want to sell it all off, other days I enjoy having the books...

I've been through this process, selling off my collection, missing it, getting back into collecting at the margins via SF pulps and then going all in. Long term satisfaction was achieved by focusing on quality (high grade) over quantity (stacked long boxes) and since Golden Age comics are my passion, each purchase is special.

Of course, this approach probably wouldn't work for most collectors, especially those whose primary collecting interest is in SA, BA and modern. Everyone has to find their own balance in collecting.
Post 74 IP   flag post
A Tale of Two Copies: each was graded 8.5 (CGC) with minor, differing flaws. One has brighter color, but with a structurally weaker spine (not readily apparent in scan); it also had only moderate PQ (Cream/OW). The other copy had a much better looking spine, slightly better PQ (OW), although drabber color overall.

HIT Comics #16 sports a nicely composed Lou Fine cover toward the end of his work on the line. And here's the rest of the story...

Even though this book rarely comes up, both of these copies were purchased quite literally the same week from different sources (one from a good friend who's a GA collector/dealer; the other via an auction bid I thought I'd lose).

This was a tough choice although I wasn't inclined to keep both copies at that point in my collecting (today, I probably would've held onto both copies much longer). Anyway, I ended up auctioning the brighter copy in spite of it's overall visual appeal after weighing the flaws of both...

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest my comic goes to than the final hammer price received.”
Post 75 IP   flag post
For reference, this is the copy I kept. As pointed out earlier, the colors don't pop quite as much, but this copy of HIT Comics #16 has better structural integrity and PQ.

It was a tough choice, but the right one, in my estimation. BTW, the light scuff marks are on the outer holder, and the light refraction issue at bottom is the result of the holder pressing against the inner Borex capsule (it's a more obvious, less obnoxious form of Newtonian prism effect inherent in a small number of older holders). The book itself looks fab!

Post 76 IP   flag post
Phantom Lady #15 (CGC 8.5 OW) is a book I mildly regret auctioning. It doesn't come up often in grade, but at the time I was interested in acquiring some other book that was stretching my budget to it's limits. I don't regret acquiring the other book. However, the difference in what I made off of the auction for this book and paid for the other one didn't compensate me enough in the long run to justify selling it. C'est la vie.

Post 77 IP   flag post
Don't recall posting my old copy of PL #17 in this thread, but if it looks familiar, just pretend it's new and enjoy it all over again.

Of course, the queen of SOTI books is deeply missed. Ultimately, my reasons for letting this copy go to auction are complicated. The structure and overall beauty of this book is very high grade appearance-wise, but due to questionable PQ ...a problem many Fox books of this period suffer due to Victor Fox's use of recycled paper from his own acquired paper mill to cut production costs... this book graded out at 7.0 with "pink" (...and potentially brittle) pages.

Post 78 IP   flag post
201709 78 28
destitute